“Lovely stay, Fab room only deal.”
Review of Shearwater Hotel

Shearwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ballinasloe
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Looking at the 55hr sale for their 5th birthday (2 nights room only €60 for two adults/2 kids), asked if deal would fit three kids and two adults, told perfect. Booked but next morning find an email stating Id need to upgrade for €50 extra as three kids. Shocked and of course this completely ruined the great deal I felt Id booked as I'd previously stayed in this hotel with up to four children and two adults comfortably in a standard room. However after a few emails back and forth (from the hotel's point view this was €50 was requested for my comfort but the language in 1st email demanded it) the hotel decided to offer a complementary upgrade to their family suite (two bedrooms with separate corridor and large family bathroom with double sinks, huge bath and separate shower).

On arriving at the hotel, it took 15 minutes to check in. Stood waiting while the two female staff members discussed what they were going to do about a blocked toilet and also two money bags of 20cents for some other staff member. Also two phonecalls taken so I was fully aware of what special offers were on. Eventually the lady behind me decided to bypass me and ask to check in. She was swiftly put her place and told to wait behind me!!! Eventually checked in with no welcome/details on meal times/leisure center etc. Had to ring reception later to find out what time Leisure Center closed at (however we were never asked to leave both evening pass the children's time).

Family suite well worth the €25 per night upgrade but the layout of it meant we never used the sitting room area/balcony as these were off the second bedroom (kettle/hairdryer in main bedroom). Terrible view. Room did get bit chilly at night (but I appreciate its December 21st/22nd) but air conditioning unit were easy to use but very loud. Also our toilet blocked after first evening/bedside lamp started hissing/smoking and would certainly would have gone on fire had we not immediately switched it off. Smelt so bad had to leave it out on the corridor. Next morning left it beside the bed with a note but was still there when room refreshed. Later that evening second TV no signal and rang reception, lovely staff member up and fixed TV and immed removed the lamp, shocked.

The Leisure Center has a fantastic Children's pool, lovely sunlongers that one can move around easily. Staff memners very welcoming and friendly. However the blue towels are rough and threadbare, had lovely fluffy white ones on the last visit.

Underground carpark excellent, we only stay now in hotel's that have this facility.

This is the first time we didnt eat in the hotel and found good choice in Ballinasloe Town itself.

Well def be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 December 2012

We used this hotel for our Golden Wedding Celebrations. We had dined there several times before.
Nothing was too much trouble for staff or management.
Usual friendly staff.
Excellent meal.
Cost very reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank septagenarian
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Really lovely hotel. beautiful rooms, really clean and up to date. Great bathrooms with seperate bath and showers. Little balcony as well is great.
Only thing I did not like was there was no free wifi, only bitbuzz which I really didnt like, and you had to pay to watch anything decent on the tv. I felt the price was high enough without adding expenses like that to it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I managed to get a great deal on the carlton website ( 60 euro for 2 nights room only for 2 adults and 2 children - their 55hr sale for 5th birthday) for the weekend just gone. To be honest I was not expecting too much as we paid so little....how surprised was I. I am a little shocked by some of the reviews as we found the hotel fantastic. When we walked into the lobby we were really surprised how nice it was. Very welcoming and lovely lounge area. We were lucky enough to get a complementry upgrade to room 248. Absolutely gorgeous. Beds lovely and comfortable. Room was spotless and bright and airy. The reception staff were all very friendly. We arrived early and our room was ready when we arrived. The hotel was very busy on both the friday and saturday night. There seemed to be some functions on. The hotel rang me a couple of days in advance to advise that the restaurant was very busy and asked where would I like to dine. I thought that this was great service. As we had two young children we chose to dine in the bar both nights. Even though both bar and restaurant were very busy the food was delicious on both nights. We had to wait a couple of mins and the bar was very busy but personally I think that in the current climate it is great to see a business do well. It was also nice to have a buzzy atmosphere. Pool was also really nice and the kiddie pool was a lovely temperature for the little ones. Again the girl and guy in the pool were very friendly chatting to the kids etc. My mam used the spa and got a special offer. There seemed to be a few specials on. I didnt use the spa myself but had a look in and it seemed lovely. Location wise there was not much to do in the town however we drove into galway city.. 40mins ..and had lovely day out. Athlone is not too far away aswell if you want to go on a boat ride on the shannon. I think it is a good base. As i said I had to young children with me and the hotel is only an hour and half away from dublin and then i still had the option of going into galway city on the saturday. All in all I would like to thank the staff in the carlton shearwater for a great stay. I would def recommend to friends and family and I look forward to going back again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Katie010
Reviewed 19 November 2012

A group of us stayed here recently for a family reunion!
The hotel is nicely decorated and the lobby area is really spacious! We liked to sit here at night and have drinks rather than go into the bar! The bar area itself is nice enough but the seating looked a bit grubby and is in need of re upholstering!
The staff were helpful (however one member of our group mentioned that the person at check in 'ignored' them for a few minutes before checking them in!). The waitressing staff for dinner seemed a bit disorganised (got the order wrong)!
The dinner in the restaurant was very good and I could not fault it at all. However, breakfast is a different story. The bowl of 'fresh fruit' was not fresh and looked like it that had been there for a few days! The other bowls of fruit were 'tinned' fruit and the natural yogurt was horrible! The selection of breads was very small (toast or brown bread)! The cooked food was fine!
Overall, we had a nice stay but I think the hotel could improve on a few things to make it better!

Room Tip: Book a room away from the function room
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stayed here over the October bank holiday weekend and we were very impressed with the hotel and the facilities. The kids club was a welcome surprise and excellent value for money, both my children attended 3 hours in the morning (inc breakfast) and 5 hours in the evening (inc dinner) for 28 euro. The leisure centre was well kept and the pools were lovely and kept at a nice warm temperature. We ate in the Canal Bar and the food and service were wonderful. Overall it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I will start with the best,

Positives:

• Fantastic Breakfast
• Very Comfortable Bed and Pillow
• Delicious Asian Stir Fry Vegetables & Potato Wedges

Negatives:

• I was there for a conference and no serving spoons were provided for the hot buffet containers, therefore we had to take hot potato wedges, chicken strips and spring rolls out with our fingers!

• For the buffet lunch no cutlery was provided for the duration of the meal, therefore we (a few hundred people!) had to proceed to eat the hot food with our fingers.

• In my room there was only one bedside lamp to light the entire room! I would have gotten more light from a candle. The maintenance staff and reception told me there was nothing they could do as there were no lamps available. I asked for a manager but surprise, surprise, there was none. It took nearly three hours to resolve the issue.

• I went to the bar for a class of white wine whilst waiting for my room to be suitable to do anything in, and to my shock I was charged €6.75 for a basic house Chardonnay, was I in the Hilton or Four Seasons?

• The following morning when I went to check out of my pre-paid room, I was asked for full payment for the room, again. I was then asked to pay for my breakfast which had also been pre-paid and I was then told I had to pay for food that was ordered in the hotel bar the previous night, which I HAD NOT ORDERED! The receptionist changed her attitude and proceeded to look and speak to me as though I was a liar and a thief.

• This was at 9.35 am, I was in the hotel until 3pm and asked to speak with a manager three times at reception to give feedback on my experience in the hotel........ I am still waiting to speak with a manager!!!

ALSO:
• Toilet had drawings of male and female genitals were carved into the door for you to view whilst using the facilities!
• Toilet doors did not lock and also some were out of order, no paper towels to dry your hands and light bulbs though out corridors and bathrooms were not working.

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight, all rooms are dark!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank KerryGirl80
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballinasloe
Sheraton Athlone
Hodson Bay Hotel
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone
The Prince of Wales Hotel

Been to Shearwater Hotel? Share your experiences!