“Attention to Detail Lacking- VERY Generous 4*”
Review of Shearwater Hotel

Shearwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ballinasloe
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My girlfriend recently won 2 nights stay in the Carlton Shearwater for mid-November. The hotel is nice, but badly in need of some rudimentary repairs- the room we stayed in had a broken faucet and toilet seat. The lamp in the room was not working and there were lumps and strips out of most of the furniture.

The breakfast was extremely poor. The first morning we tried some of the buffet items on offer, but left most on the plate and stuck with the muesli and toast the second day. How an Irish hotel, in the middle of prime farming country, can offer such dreadfully poor fare is beyond me. Even if cooked well, the quality of sausage and pudding was of a very poor standard, but to make matters worse, apart from the scrambled egg everything seemed to be deep fried to the point of tasteless, then left under a steam-heated counter the entire whole morning.

The offering of food seems to be an inherent problem in this hotel, as we were looking forward to eating in the restaurant on the first night, but were told on arrival that it would be closed on both nights of our stay. Instead we ate in the hotel bar, which had a very limited menu, but admittedly very good quality food. And, as with the rest of the hotel, the staff were fantastic- the one glimmer of hope for the hotel if they can get competent management.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Xaribdis

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We travelled to this hotel not knowing what to expect,there was a group of us travelling together and all were pleasantly pleased.
This hotel is big and spacious and was very busy on both nights we stayed....
On check in we found the staff pleasant and friendly.
The room was spacious and clean,however after arriving after a long journey I went to make a cup of tea in the room only to find the bottom of the kettle full of beer bottle caps in rusty old water (I apologise to both management and fellow guests for not highlighting this as it's only now I'm after remembering it).the bathroom could do with better light as it only had 2 down lighters.
We ate in the bar both nights and found the food very nice, although we did see one unhappy customer handing back a burger.
There was nice entertainment in bar the first night and meant to be the second night but the band never showed .
The bar has a nice ambience with plenty of large screen tv's for sports lovers.
The leisure centre was very nice with good size gym and adequate pool room.
Breakfast on both mornings was well managed with plenty of choice of hot food, one of our party even asked for an omelette which was duly obliged.
Overall this was a nice hotel to which I would return again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dood8
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Myself and my friends regularly go to the Shearwater hotel for food and drinks..we have always had a great time. The food is fab and the staff are always very welcoming and efficient, even when they are under pressure..always a night to remember! Some of my friends and family have stayed in the hotel and have always enjoyed their stay..taking advantage of the pool and treating themselves to a pamper session in the spa..can't praise the place enough and so lucky to have a hotel of this standard on our doorstep!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

In September this year I Booked to stay in this hotel for a dance weekend that was to be held on the 22-24th of November. One week before our arrival my friend tried to book the same dance weekend, she was told that no weekend had been organised in their hotel, I rang instantly, initially I was told, that there was no dance weekend ever organised in their hotel, I was then put through to events, they told me the same thing. I then informed them I had a copy of the advertisement of the event, a booking reference and that they had taken my credit card details. Suddenly they had my information and remembered that the dance weekend had been cancelled, I asked them were they going to inform me that it had been cancelled or had they expected me to turn up for a cancelled weekend. I was given no explanation,no apology, their only relpy was that they would cancel my details. This was very unprofessional so if anyone out there has booked to go this weekend, I hope you see this before you turn up.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Gty1
Reviewed 17 November 2013

my friend and i stayed here for a weekend at the start of november. we had a very nice experience overall. the girls at reception were so friendly and helpful upon check in. the bar was a bit too loud when we went for food on the friday so we decided to go into the restaurant. great experience in there thanks to Brian and Una who were so friendly and even though they were very busy they didnt seem under pressure at all. breakfast buffet was great as well plenty of food only thing was only had 1 towel in our room and were waiting ages for another.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2013

No heating and no hot water for duration of stay . How this hotel has a four star rating is a crime in itself. Hotel had to supply a radiator to the room and there was no hot water on arrival and still no hot water at check out the following day. Asked to speak with a manager ( Liam ) he advised he would respond by mail the following week. When there was no response from hotel I called the hotel and was advised a different manager would respond. No reply to date . This is a solid indicator how this hotel value their customers .

Room Tip: Avoid if you are expecting a four star hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Vincent M
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I eat in the shearwater regulary and the food is always nice. They have a great bar menu. My favourite is the pasta dish and if you want to treat yourself with a desert try the creme brulee, Its to die for. The service is excellent and the staff are a delight, very friendly and accomodating. the decor is fabulous and very relaxing with large screen tv to watch any sporting event. Its like my second home. Well worth a visit..

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballinasloe
Gullane's Hotel & Conference Centre
#1 of 3 in Loughrea
Hodson Bay Hotel
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone

Been to Shearwater Hotel? Share your experiences!