“More than exceeded expectations....”
Review of Shearwater Hotel

Shearwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ballinasloe
Belfast, United Kingdom
“More than exceeded expectations....”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We ate in the main ‘fancy’ restaurant on the Friday night and had a delicious meal. We had 3 courses each with a bottle of house wine and coffee & it cost a brilliant 64euro in total. Again the staff were great and added to the experience. Re: booking we were able to book a table @ 8:30 on arrival after being told how busy the restaurant would be.

Genuinely can’t understand lighting complaints as I thought it was fine and added a bit of ambiance. I’ve drank and eaten in places a lot darker.

On the second evening we ate at the bar and had a lovely ‘pub grub’ meal which were great portions and very tasty. We did have to wait for over an hour to be seated but we were told earlier in the afternoon we should book a table in bar (which we declined). In fairness we didn’t mind waiting at all and the bar manager did a great job in keeping us informed. The poor guy seemed rushed of his feet and couldn’t keep everyone happy as people were sitting at tables when they weren’t ‘on the list’ and people who had finished eating didn’t want to ‘move on’. But again I would commend him on the job he done…he was straight to the point and took no nonsense which was exactly what was needed.

A busy bar was to be expected with football and rugby on so I find it hard for anyone to complain. I feel it also appropriated to mention a waitress who served us the night before noticed us waiting and offer to ‘squeeze’ us into the ‘fancy’ restaurant as a table had just cancelled but we declined as were more in the pub grub mood.

Whilst on food…the breakfast was outstanding. Initially I was skeptical as I thought this would be a cheap ‘treat ticket’ add on but when we got there we were led to our table and served coffee or tea and clearly told it was a buffet system and to enjoy. (which we did). There was a great selection and the hot food was more than your ‘standard’ hotel breakfast.

The Spa again was a pleasant surprise, my wife and I spent an over an hour relaxing in the Jacuzzi, Steam room and Sauna. Again with memberships in local gyms the standard was very high. On entry we were given a towel and told to use the pool a swimming cap was needed ( as we were told at reception).

As with all weekends not everything was perfect and on the Saturday night the guest next to use (room 108) we going crazy shouting / screaming etc but I called to reception to let them know my problem and the receptionist apoligised and told it would be sorted in minutes. It was and I thought this was excellent service.

We stayed close to the hotel so can’t really comment on Ballinasloe but it looked like a nice enough town.

Before I finish I must try to address complaints about Spa and Restaurant bookings. When I booked 6weeks before stay I was told it was very busy and to book Spa treatments and restaurant in advance, when I asked for a Spa treatment list I was told it was very busy and to book Spa treatments and restaurant in advance, when the lady form Carlton called me on the Monday evening before my stay to confirm all ok (which was excellent service) I was told it was very busy and to book Spa treatments and restaurant in advance (see a pattern forming) and when we arrived we were told there were limited Spa and restaurant slots available. I really can’t see what people are complaining about.

Overall great hotel and would defiantly recommend it for a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Polish first
Carrickmacross, Ireland
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner went away for two nights for some rest and relaxation. We booked online but On arrival the reception did not have our booking in the system. It's took the unpleasant receptionist 15 minutes to get us sorted. We ate in the marine lounge that night and the restaurant was nice. The food was good and I must comment on our young waitress Niamh who was very pleasant and attentive.

There is a lack of attention to detail with this hotel. The rooms are comfortable and clean but there is NO information in the room, our fridge was removed and not enough towels or bath products for both of us for two nights. The WIFI situation was very unclear. You have to go down to reception register (however it is free of charge) for 24 hr pass.

Breakfast the next day was typical buffet which was nice but the service was awful - nobody greeted me nobody seated me and nobody came to check on me - I had to ask for tea and cutlery.

I was very disappointed that the spa could not accommodate us on either days for a massage even though I had rang to book an appointment in advance. Also when I asked if they could put me on a list and give me a call if there was an opening the girl replied with "we don't do waiting lists, it's first come first serve" - awful attitude

The bar was very busy for dinner that night - we we're put on an hour long waiting list but the staff were not very attentive. Some poor older manager was trying desperately to sort out the situation with little or no help from his staff. Granted they were busy but we got sorted and the food was great.

All in all I would say that the hotel is indeed a beautiful hotel with great facilities but the staff leave much to be desired and a little attention to detail and a smile or two would make a huge difference.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and it is very concerning that one of the main let downs throughout your experience was various interactions with our team.

We generally provide a genuinely warm and professional level of guest care, but very evidently this was not the case throughout your visit.

I will be addressing the details of your feedback with each department ensuring we do not fall to such levels again.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here for a romantic couples weekend with friends. While our first impressions were good , there was a number of disappointing factors.

Firstly we were told when checking in at reception that our rooms were beside each other. Unfortunately this was not the case. You can imagine our surprise to find the rooms were on completely different sides of the complex. Not a disaster but there was more.

Second we found the restaurant to be far too dark. I understand the need for setting a scene but it appeared that the restaurant was dark simply because nobody had bothered to replace the broken spotlights in the ceiling. We each struggled to see the food on our plates.
The food itself was decidedly average given the price we paid and the steaks - both ordered medium rare, took an age to arrive and were well done. Not a bit of pink - though I wasn't too sure as it was too dark to tell! This was offset slightly when we were offered complimentary dessert and coffee when we raised our concerns about the steak.

Next, our room. The toilet in our room was broken. It wouldn't flush when required and there was a constant trickle of water from the cistern to the bowl which kept both of us awake at night.
There was also a few hints that the room hadn't been fully serviced; bins weren't emptied, receipts from previous night on the dresser.

Access to the pool - one of the selling points of the hotel for us - was restricted on Sunday for kids swimming lessons. We were limited to approximately half the length of one lane.
Furthermore the sauna was barely above room temperature.

Lastly on checkout, we were made to feel as though we were causing an inconvenience to the concierge by paying the balance remaining on our bill.

Overall what could have been a pleasant weekend was soured by a series of small yet avoidable issues that would have been prevented with just a small bit of attention to detail.

1 Thank NiamhStephens
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very insightful feedback and is disappointing that we were failed to deliver consistently high standards across all aspects of your stay.

Both the management team and I have reviewed in detail the areas where we fell down and we are reviewing all processes and procedures to ensure we correct all areas which fell well below standard.

Thanking you again for your comments and if returning in the future, please ask for me directly when booking.

Ireland
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The hotel is nice. The room wasn't available when we arrived - we had to wait 30 minutes - even at 3pm. The staff were friendly. The leisure center was nice but the steam room was poor. We had dinner in the main dinning room. It is very poorly lit and impossible to see in - I had to use phone torch to see the menu. I kid you not! The staff are lovely but service is a bit slow. The food was nice - not cheap. Music in the bar was a nice touch. It was busy which is a good sign. Breakfast was good - again not cheap. We had a voucher for accommodation but it still cost about 150 for dinner and breakfast for two adults and a child.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for both your positive and constructive feedback all of which has being used to further improve the property.

I note your comments relating to the poor level of steam in our steam room and have now addressed this with our Leisure centre manager.

Disappointing that we did provide the required level of efficient restaurant service, but again this has been reviewed with both our food and beverage manager and the relevant team members at our weekly restaurant meeting.

The lighting in the restaurant has become a source of constructive feedback on two occasions now, and I will be ensuring that we correct this.

Thanking you again for your very valuable feedback and I hope to see you back with us at the Carlton Shearwater hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed here on the way to the West and found a lovely fresh bright addition to the Carlton Hotel Group.The rooms were up to standard and had all the amenities for the weary traveler.Food was was well served and there was music in the bar .Overall a pleasant surprise in the horse famous town Ballinsloe.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Delighted you enjoyed both our high standards of food offering and warm welcome from all the team.

The property is perfectly located to stop off and take a break from long journeys while travelling on the M6 and is the first port of call when entering "The Gateway to the West."

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back time and again.

Best regards,
Dublin
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Just after returning from 2 nights in the Carlton Shearwater. We (2 adults and 3 kids) thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Food was top class... rooms were spacious and clean. Staff couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable. Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive feedback, all of which acts as a great source of motivation for all the team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Perhaps carlton make up their own stars but they are not 4 stars in our opinion.
Would be nice if it was scrubbed up and painted here and there. The carpets in the corridors and room we were in had, in our opinion had a smell of spilled beer and smoke.

Parked in the free underground car park. We were quickly and courteously checked in by Liz whom was very welcoming, lis gave us great advice on the bars to go to up town. Night life was good just a 5 min walk up town on both Friday and the sat night. We visited the bar in the hotel then "an thain" "maud millers" and "the auld sod" all good lively bars walking distance of the hotel.

The swimming pool, steam room and jacuzzi were really nice even 4 stars.

The food and service in the package dinner B and B deal was very poor the restaurant was very busy and the staff were run off their feet, perhaps a lot of the nice young staff are not given enough training I don't blame them for the poor food or service, management should sort it out and improve it step by step. Little or no gluten free options and no opinion of having something unless it's on the menus. We asked a few times for missing cutlery but I got up and got it my self up by bar when it was not coming. Also asked for coffee after the dessert and no coffees came if we waited there since.
Breakfast was also average much of the food was defrosted or tinned food, no fresh fruit or breads. Porridge was nice.
Would stay again if it was a very good offer but they're plenty of good offers online for better.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

It is very evident that we fell well short of our usual standards with regards some aspects of your stay.

While we are in the process of rebuilding the team for the coming busier times, this should not reflect below par training standards.

You can be assured I will be dealing with the issues directly to ensure we do not endure such inconsistencies in the future.

gmcguinness@carlton.ie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballinasloe
Sheraton Athlone
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,986 reviews
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone

Been to Shearwater Hotel? Share your experiences!