“Top marks, great hotel”
Review of Shearwater Hotel

Shearwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ballinasloe
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Fabulous hotel, lovely atmosphere. Nice up to date decor. Very clean and really comfy bed. The staff we dealt with at reception were so professional and helpful. Same goes for the staff in the bar area. Food was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Trish1t

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I'm afraid everything about my stay in this hotel was below par. We arrived at approx 3pm and although we were the only people at the reception desk, the 3 receptionists ignored us and spoke among themselves before addressing us. The receptionist who eventually said hello to us said very little else. Having previously been a hotel receptionist I know that making chit chat with guests upon arrival (how was your journey, weather, etc) and such niceties can make a difference and are important. However, this lady just asked my name then asked for my signature and gave me my room key and a sheet of paper with hotel info on it. In my experience, she should have gone through all the major info with me not just handed me a sheet.

We made our way to the room (room 125) via elevator. The elevators are painfully slow which resulted in us taking the stairs most of the time. We got to the room and to say it was shabby was an understatement. There were burn marks in the carpet, holes in the curtains and stains on the bed but the beds did look comfy. In the bathroom the tap was broken and was loose so every time you turn the tap the entire body of it came away from the counter. The toilet roll holder was only connected to the wall on one side which would be fine but every time you were taking paper off it the roll would fall to the ground.

As we were famished, we went down to the bar to grab some quick food. And quick it was not. I ordered a portion of chips and my partner ordered a burger and chips. I don't know exactly how long we were waiting for our food to arrive but it was a very long time. My partner said he wanted to go up and see what the hold up was but I told him to wait as I wanted to see what they would say when it eventually arrived. And when that time came no apology or explanation was given. Our plates were put on the table and the waitress walked off. No 'Can I get you anything else?' or anything like that. The burger bun on my partners plate was cremated. It was completely burnt and he said the rest of his meal did not taste good. The chips were your typical undercooked tasteless hotel chips. The bar area itself was once again drab and the seats and carpets all had stains and burns on them.

We made our way to the leisure centre. The changing rooms were drab and smelly but the showers did have hot water. I went through to the pool and was disgusted to fine somebody had left a pantyliner on the edge of the pool and the staff had not cleaned up. After a short swim (I was scared of what else could be floating around) I went into the jacuzzi. The water was colder in the jacuzzi than in the main pool. Needless to say I left the leisure centre.

After our lunch disaster in the hotel we went out for dinner. We went to Gibbons Pillar House which was fantastic. Our meal and the atmosphere were fab and we would definitely recommend it. We returned to our room at about midnight and I was glad to crawl into the bed which appeared very comfy.

I woke up in the morning after a restless night of trying to get comfortable which a sore back and neck. I also had the joy of a group of people standing outside my door in the wee hours of the morning talking away to each other with no regard to other guests. At this point I just wanted to get out of this hotel. I knew that upon check out that the receptionist would ask me how my stay was and decided I would let her know exactly how my stay was.

We went down to reception to check out and I went up to the counter and explained I would like to check out. The receptionist said 'ok, thanks. See you'. And that was it. So it crossed my mind to give out but I realised that this girl did not give a damn about my stay and as a matter of fact not one member of staff that I had encountered during my stay was helpful, friendly or looked like they cared.

We had a living social voucher for our stay and I still felt it was not value for money. I would be extremely angry if I had paid full price for this hotel. And the real kicker is that I had been hoping to pick up a wedding brochure for this hotel but after this experience there was no way this was going to happen.

All in all the hotel is worn and shabby. The staff don't care and that is obvious. Avoid if possible.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if possible. If you have to stay perhaps ask if they have any newly renovated rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jolynlan
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Very clean and modern hotel with friendly staff. The bar area is very cosy and the food was excellent - the range of food on the menu was very good as well. Didn't like the breakfast as much - found the selection a little limited. Found the rooms very comfortable. There isn't much in Ballinasloe but its a straightforward drive to Galway so its not a bad base to work from. We had a voucher deal so would say that was great value for money. The full price may be a little pricey as the location is a little bit in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed here in April for 3 nights in a Suite - we were attending a family wedding.

What a fabulous experiece ! Every member of staff we met was excellent, very friendly and could not do enough to help. For example, we asked for a fridge in the room (for dietary reason) - sorted within an hour, we were offered the use of Coffee Dock fridge in the interim if we needed.

The deal we got was really excellent at € 330 for 3 nights for the suite. Lovely comfy beds and quiet good size rooms with good quality bedding & pillows. This is a large relatively new hotel, slightly away from town centre with substantial car-parking etc.

Yes there is an absence of the frills that 5 star hotels offer ( no chocolate on your pillow or turndown service) if that is your thing. But come on, I can supply those myself without paying a huge premium. Every meal we had there in all the restaurants was very good.

We travelled with a toddler, he had his own room with a comfy cot. He loved the hotel, the staff made a nice fuss over him. He also loved the Leisure centre which is impressively large and modern (main pool, jacuzzi and kids pool) .

Ground floor is particularly nice with a huge foyer and check in desk immediately when you enter. Everyone seemed to enjoy the wedding, food service, reception room and general set up all excellent - again nothing too much trouble.

Small points mentioned elsewhere (breakfast choice not brilliant and slightly understaffed, occasional scuff marks on walls) are fair but postives far outweigh those relatively minor negatives.
Do I recommend ? Absolutely - I understand the hotel has recently won some awards. Catch it before the great value is gone.

Room Tip: The upgrade was well worth it at E25 per night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank suspat
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Hotel is much more appealing on the inside than the outside. Stayed as couple on a package deal which included 2 nights B&B and 1 dinner. Dinner was served in the bar, food was lovely and waiters very friendly & welcoming. Breakfast in the morning was average, could improve with more fresh fruit. Rooms clean & tasteful decor. Swimming pool lovely. When checking out there were two items on bill that did not relate to us, Receptionist did take them off with no quibble. However still felt she smiled at you from the teeth out. Other staff made up for her though. Would return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a friend. Got a deal so had very good value. Thought the hotel itself was kept very well, room was large. Had bar food included in deal and that was ok. Bar and waiting staff were lovely and it was extremely busy. Used the pool etc which was nice too.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2014

we were on a family easter getaway with 2 other families,6 adults and 10 kids in total.it was a return visit as we had already spent new year here .All I can say is that the shearwater is a total gem of a hotel with warm welcoming staff from the moment you check in..The manager Garret is very pleasant as is all the staff we encountered during our stay. the family suites are ideal and spacious and allow for a very comfortable stay..The guys in the kids club are absolutely brilliant and trustworthy and a total asset to the hotel...The food is delicious....we have not got a bad thing to say our kids were happy so we were happy, overall it is a truly family friendly hotel with lovely staff and everything you could want for on a family break..we will definitely be returning..

Room Tip: family suite great space
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nellyjWicklow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballinasloe
Sheraton Athlone
The Prince of Wales Hotel
Creggan Court
Creggan Court
#8 of 9 in Athlone

Been to Shearwater Hotel? Share your experiences!