“Quick stop”

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Quick stop”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just spent the 1 night.
Modern clean hotel.Large comfortable rooms.Easy parking beneath hotel.
Certainly would stay again.
Room rate was good value.
Room at rear not much of a view of anything.
............................

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Polish first
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here for a one night break on April 25th, it is a lovely hotel, the food in the bar was excellent,the warm welcome we received from Estella was great. Our room was very clean and spacious. Breakfast in the morning was delicious with a great range for everyones taste buds, have to say thank you to Liam for the lovely good morning welcome. great hotel cant fault it.

1 Thank Fiona B
BELFAST
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We will definitely be back. Room was very clean and everything worked.
During school holidays, there is a Kid's Club in the morning and evening which my 4 yr old and 6 yr old loved (they had never been to one before).
Breakfasts were superb.
Pool area was great with a kiddies pool which helped.
Beauty spa staff were very friendly and prices reasonable.
We noticed some very well behaved dogs around on leads in the hotel so they must be allowed also which is good to know.
Can't wait to return this Summer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BALLYHACK11
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I just spent a very pleased weekend at the Carlton Shearwater hotel in Ballinasloe and I must say I was very impressed. The room was very comfortable and the bed was great, plenty of room and very clean. The staff were fantastic and especially the bar staff and serving staff in the bar. The food was good and quite reasonable and we had very good entertainment on both Saturday and Sunday night in the bar. I would highly recommend the hotel and look forward to a return visit later in the year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel in early April. I cannot fault anything with the hotel. When we checked in the girl at reception was very pleasant and helpful. She chatted to us about the hotel and recommendations on what to do. The interior of the hotel is beautiful. Our room was lovely and very comfortable. We found the hotel to be spotless and well kept. The staff were so friendly and helpful-from the bar staff to the manager. We had the carvery lunch and it was one of the best carverys we have had. The selection of food was excellent-from wraps panninis and salads to hot dinners and delicious desserts.I visited the spa for a treatment and it was very impressive. I didnt expect it to be so nice and would recommend everyone book in for a treatment. The prices are very competitive. I would like to say well done to all the staff of this hotel.You work hard and it is paying off. We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and we will be back.

Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Fabulous hotel, lovely atmosphere. Nice up to date decor. Very clean and really comfy bed. The staff we dealt with at reception were so professional and helpful. Same goes for the staff in the bar area. Food was excellent.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Trish1t
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I'm afraid everything about my stay in this hotel was below par. We arrived at approx 3pm and although we were the only people at the reception desk, the 3 receptionists ignored us and spoke among themselves before addressing us. The receptionist who eventually said hello to us said very little else. Having previously been a hotel receptionist I know that making chit chat with guests upon arrival (how was your journey, weather, etc) and such niceties can make a difference and are important. However, this lady just asked my name then asked for my signature and gave me my room key and a sheet of paper with hotel info on it. In my experience, she should have gone through all the major info with me not just handed me a sheet.

We made our way to the room (room 125) via elevator. The elevators are painfully slow which resulted in us taking the stairs most of the time. We got to the room and to say it was shabby was an understatement. There were burn marks in the carpet, holes in the curtains and stains on the bed but the beds did look comfy. In the bathroom the tap was broken and was loose so every time you turn the tap the entire body of it came away from the counter. The toilet roll holder was only connected to the wall on one side which would be fine but every time you were taking paper off it the roll would fall to the ground.

As we were famished, we went down to the bar to grab some quick food. And quick it was not. I ordered a portion of chips and my partner ordered a burger and chips. I don't know exactly how long we were waiting for our food to arrive but it was a very long time. My partner said he wanted to go up and see what the hold up was but I told him to wait as I wanted to see what they would say when it eventually arrived. And when that time came no apology or explanation was given. Our plates were put on the table and the waitress walked off. No 'Can I get you anything else?' or anything like that. The burger bun on my partners plate was cremated. It was completely burnt and he said the rest of his meal did not taste good. The chips were your typical undercooked tasteless hotel chips. The bar area itself was once again drab and the seats and carpets all had stains and burns on them.

We made our way to the leisure centre. The changing rooms were drab and smelly but the showers did have hot water. I went through to the pool and was disgusted to fine somebody had left a pantyliner on the edge of the pool and the staff had not cleaned up. After a short swim (I was scared of what else could be floating around) I went into the jacuzzi. The water was colder in the jacuzzi than in the main pool. Needless to say I left the leisure centre.

After our lunch disaster in the hotel we went out for dinner. We went to Gibbons Pillar House which was fantastic. Our meal and the atmosphere were fab and we would definitely recommend it. We returned to our room at about midnight and I was glad to crawl into the bed which appeared very comfy.

I woke up in the morning after a restless night of trying to get comfortable which a sore back and neck. I also had the joy of a group of people standing outside my door in the wee hours of the morning talking away to each other with no regard to other guests. At this point I just wanted to get out of this hotel. I knew that upon check out that the receptionist would ask me how my stay was and decided I would let her know exactly how my stay was.

We went down to reception to check out and I went up to the counter and explained I would like to check out. The receptionist said 'ok, thanks. See you'. And that was it. So it crossed my mind to give out but I realised that this girl did not give a damn about my stay and as a matter of fact not one member of staff that I had encountered during my stay was helpful, friendly or looked like they cared.

We had a living social voucher for our stay and I still felt it was not value for money. I would be extremely angry if I had paid full price for this hotel. And the real kicker is that I had been hoping to pick up a wedding brochure for this hotel but after this experience there was no way this was going to happen.

All in all the hotel is worn and shabby. The staff don't care and that is obvious. Avoid if possible.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if possible. If you have to stay perhaps ask if they have any newly renovated rooms