“A new fab " upmarket restaurant "” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Connemara National Park Hostel

Connemara National Park Hostel
“A new fab " upmarket restaurant "”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Stopped here out of curiosity when I saw that a restaurant was now open as well. I was a little concerned from the outside. First of all there is a lot of building going on and the place is a hostel. I did not fancy sharing the night with boisterous " back packers".Boy was I surprised ?..

It's an entire new purpose built restaurant with a menu that would do justice to the finest available in Galway. I had the humus as a starter and for mains I went for the baked hake while my partner went for the lamb shank. Truly it was a ten out ten experience .. Purely wonderful .. This is a welcome addition to an area that is not overflowing with quality eateries. Excellent and well done .. A dining experience.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrGalway

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

My 2 sisters and I were traveling all over Ireland these past 2 weeks and one of our nights we planned to stay near the park. We didnt have a place booked yet so we drove around looking. We drove by the lodge assuming it was out of our budget but after few options we decided to check the prices there. As stated before, no one was plastered to the front desk, the staff was visibly in the quaint restaurant/bar adjoined. We used the phone and we told someone would be right down. Before the gentlemen (who was the owner) made it to us one of the staff came over to help us. She was so friendly and joked with us. A 4 bed room en suite was 18€ per person. Needless to say we immediately booked. When we inquired as to wether it was a mixed dorm she said if anyone comes in she will make sure to only put a female in our room. About this time the owner arrived and also proceeded go greet us like old friends. It was an overwhelmingly welcome atmosphere. Some people may not have picked up on their travels but Ireland does not do the same "type" of customer service we do in the states. I personally like it much more. They don't fake being nice because its their job, the servers don't scowl if you split a meal (which we did, the omelet and chips *DELICIOUS* only 8.25€ no tipping required in Ireland).
I found the whole lodge to be adorable, clean and easy going like home. The restaurants food was very reasonably priced with a decor that would have suggested otherwise. The rooms were clean and roomy with an up to date bathroom and *hot water!* in the shower. The kitchen upstairs for guest use was huge and stocked with anything you could need as well as a sitting area with books.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and all the staff we had the pleasure to meet. Should I visit the park again I know where I'm going to stay.

Stayed April 2014
Turin, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

A very nice place to stay since it is a perfect starting point for Connemara exploring. The building seems a wood-made mountaing hut, the staff was kind and both the common areas and the rooms are clean. Nearly all was perfect, but it was very cold in the room I stayed: 15 degrees...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Valeria M
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Didn't recognise the place, Wasn't informed that it was currently a building site. nobody to greet us on arrival. A note to ring a number and was told out room and key was in door. room half clean. Cobwebs ect. Clean but not fresh bedding, smelt like it had been there a few week. At night nobody on site. Didn't feel at all safe with a large group on people drinking and being loud in the front sitting area. Only saw one person as we left.. to take our money of course. Terrible, wouldn't go back at all

• Stayed March 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
letterfracklodge1, Front Office Manager at Connemara National Park Hostel, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear Sir
It was disappointing to hear you had such a terrible stay at our hostel. We welcome all comments good and bad but I think it is only fair to let our future guests know the real truth of some of the harsh comments you made, firstly we are building a restaurant at the hostel and doing some renovations that are nearly completed so there is extra building material and machinery around, however it is not obstructing anyone or unsafe. It is not a building site. We trying to offer our guests a better service. Our rooms are cleaned on a daily basis, fresh linen etc. Why did you not bring any problem with the room to our attention ? The noise you heard in the front room did not continue after 10.30 as I was informed by one the guests the music was off by 10.30. You room was located down at the end of the corridor so its very surprizing you could hear that far. You mentioned that there was no one around, the bell and the phone at reception are there for guests to contact someone if you need anything. There is not always someone standing at reception, we are only a small hostel.
If you were nervous and felt unsafe there was a number to call and also all doors were locked. We have never had a problem with security.
Finally you failed to mention that on departure you were offered breakfast and you just left without saying anything even though you had such a terrible stay. Most people with a problem with their stay will speak up on departure.
The above reviewer booked accommodation at the hostel the previous week and failed to cancel it so
we did not sell the room that night, even though we could have charged him we didn't. He made a mistake with his reservation and said he should have been for the night he did stay with us unfortunately he forgot to mention this in his review.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed a few nights - €25 each per night for our own room with en-suite :) Hot water on demand, towels and bedclothes supplied. No heater in the bathroom so it was a bit chilly. Breakfast was v basic but fine for the price (Cornflakes, white toast and coffee style)! We cooked a lot in the kitchen which was fine as it was off peak but I'd imagine it wouldn't be so clean at busy times - nobody seemed to take responsibility for turning on the dishwasher and there were no rules re labelling things left in the fridge so things festered there for long periods. Only one oven worked - four hobs. If I was staying in Connemara again I'd stay in Clifton and drive to more beautiful places like Letterfrack by day - not much (to put it mildly) choice of things to do after dark and a taxi to Clifton cost €18 each way. We found Clifton more fun at night with a beautiful seafood restaurant - Mitchell's I think it was called. There was a lot of building work going on while we were staying in the hostel - quite noisy - and there tended to be loud disco- type music blaring from the reception till 10 at night. I also wasn't fond of the huge TV and loud music being on in the breakfast room while you drank your coffee but that's just me not being a morning
person ;) Overall I'd recommend this place if you want value, basic, clean accommodation in the beautiful back of beyond!

• Stayed March 2014
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night as it was in good proximity to Kylemore Abbey and arriving at dusk there was no one to greet us except a permanent resident, who was not staff and although he did his best to sort out our booking the owner was called but didn't arrive for an hour and when he finally did he was slow to approach us, he turned out to be a very nice chap. Our rooms were a mix up initially but once sorted they were okay, not great but warm and fairly clean,ensuite was very basic with no where to put anything.
Breakfast was good and the owner although looking worse for wear was prepared for us at 8.30 am and had put out a good spread of cereal, bread selection, cheese and juices. We felt welcome and we left happy enough.
It is a good place for young people.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Turku, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

My boyfriend and i visited Letterfrack in August 2013 on our roadtrip in Ireland.
We were considering about staying in either Clifden or Letterfrack and decided to go for Letterfrack, and we realised to our joy that it was so, so much better. The real, beautiful Connemara actually only starts from Letterfrack (we drove the Sky Road and it was nice with the view to the sea, but in my opinion the big green hills and little roads after Letterfrack were much more stunning) and the area seems to have much more to offer. The owner of the hostel was extremely nice and helpful and pointed us to the best places to see in Connemara, which we would not have discovered without his advice. We climbed for example on top of Diamond Hill, which was one of the highlights of our trip.

Having said that, Letterfrack Lodge itself was a bit of a disappointment. Were stayed in some sort of annex behind the hostel building itself and it was slightly damp, cold and very modest. Considering that we were only driving through and stayed just one night (unfortunately we didn't have enough holidays to stay longer, but if you can, absolutely do stay longer in Letterfrack), with the cheap price and some backpacker spirit this was ok. But if we would have stayed longer, I think I would have been ready to pay some more for a bit more comfortable place and a better night's sleep.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fasupusu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterfrack
Rosleague Manor Hotel
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
The Bards Den
The Bards Den
#3 of 4 in Letterfrack

Been to Connemara National Park Hostel? Share your experiences!