If things go well for you the Glenroyal is a very good hotel. Clean, generally spacious rooms, wonderful spa use included in the price, lovely staff. I'm sure you can sense the "but" and there certainly is one. Of three rooms for which single supplements were paid, one was excellent, one was all right but with an annoying hum of varying intensity present at all times. The third (Room 147) was a disaster and no self respecting hotel should be letting it out for use, unless perhaps at a heavy discount to someone who is aware of what he or she is buying into. There was no view at all; instead you can gaze at a blank wall less than 2 metres away. This made the room permanently and depressingly gloomy. The recess in the building which caused the ugly wall also made the room terribly hot and airless during a spell of good weather, whereas the other two rooms were fine, bright, cheery and well ventilated. Worst of all, however, was a constant and very loud oppressive humming, apparently from a leisure centre extractor one floor down, which reverberated throughout the room and made sleep almost impossible. Closing the window made no difference; it was the structure of the building itself which was oscillating. Assurances from Reception that it would stop when the leisure centre closed proved false.
A charming restaurant manager (the only person available at 11pm) had the unlucky task of facing very disenchanted people without being able to give them any hope of a change because the hotel was fully booked. Angry as we were we felt sorry for him. Next day after an awful night a solution was quite quickly found. Perhaps the half drafted letter of complaint helped, but by this time the hotel was facing an uphill struggle to redeem itself. To me it shows a profound disrespect that the company should even consider putting paying guests into such dreadful accommodation in the first place; the fact that we had paid a supplement for this black hole only added insult to injury.
The rest of the time was acceptable or good, and the two pools are superb; the jacuzzi in the adults only pool is particularly up market. Be aware that pool rules demand a swimming cap, but if you have forgotten yours a Glenroyal branded one is available at about Euro 2.50.
I can't say anything about the a la carte menu in the bar (and there is also a Thai restaurant on the first floor), but the food served to the organised groups was, let's say, somewhat unimaginitive.In fact it quickly became something of a running joke. Starters were fine, and the sweets too. But main courses were disappointingly stodgy. Three consecutive nights of mainly boiled meat "on a bed of mash", mostly with soggy stuffing in between, became a bit dispiriting. The bright spot was the final night when beef in Guiness casserole appeared. However the normal breakfast was good, either full Irish or all Continental depending on choice.
The quality of this hotel at its best, and its many excellent staff members, explain why this rating is average and not poor. I can only appeal to the hotel owners to be as welcoming as their staff and not to let out their particularly substandard rooms to guests who are expecting to be treated as well as their neighbours.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club, we pride ourselves on being a Home away from Home to our guests. Our friendly and professional staff offer a warm, welcoming, and friendly atmosphere throughout the hotel. We strive to offer nothing less than excellent value accommodation, superb leisure facilities with a State-of-the-Art Gym and Swimming Pool, a Conference Centre which can facilitate a wide variety of events, and comfortable food and beverage venues in our function rooms, bar, and Bistro. The Glenroyal Hotel is also located in the Heart of Maynooth, while being just a 20-minute drive from the capital. An ideal location for corporate and leisure guests alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Glenroyal Hotel And Leisure
- Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club Maynooth, Ireland - County Kildare