“Beautiful hotel but service very disappointing”

Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The public areas and bedrooms are really modern, clean and show almost no signs of wear and tear. The spa area is very clean and staff were friendly.

Three of us stayed in the hotel and another friend joined us for dinner. We ate dinner in The Coach House which started off really well. It was a beautiful evening and we sat outside and our waiter Martin was chatty, polite, interested and very knowledgable. He took our order but then moved back inside the restaurant and we were waited on by three or four other waiting staff who forgot one of our starters (10 minute wait). Then only three of the four mains we ordered arrived & those of us with food did not have cutlery. Several staff passed without making eye contact. Eventually I went inside & got cutlery myself and enquired about the missing main, it arrived after another 5 mins or so but with very little apology - the staff member who delivered it seemed to be a manager. There were many smaller problems too such as condiments missing, drinks being delayed, water jug not being refilled and inside the end of the bar was piled high with unwashed glasses so maybe they were short staffed. The two tables behind us were also complaining about the service while we were eating. Our original waiter, Martin turned up at the end & was really lovely, he apologised for the confusion & long waiting times. However we felt this should have come from the manager who had served us earlier instead of sending out the young waiter to take the blame.

It was not only the service in The Coach House which was disappointing but table service from the Kitchen bar that afternoon was very slow but the young girl seemed to be on her own and was very busy. Reception staff told us different things - one said do book dinner in The Coach House, the other said don't. Before we arrived there was of confusion over our reservation & even though I emailed them to clarify the details & received an email to confirm that these had been rectified they still managed to get our room rates confused on check in and check out & they had difficulty locating vouchers for dinner. That night, I set the air conditioning in my room for 19 degrees however instead it went from 25 degrees to 27. I rang the night porter & was told that there was a problem with it all over the hotel & that I should just turn it off (luckily I had requested a fan in advance because I am heavily pregnant & had been worried about the heat).

When I was checking out the following morning Odhran (Deputy General Manager) asked about my stay, I mentioned the air conditioning being broken but he did not seem to have had any knowledge of this. I also mentioned the poor service at dinner & he immediately offered us a complimentary lunch before leaving, we declined but this did go some way to appeasing us. Niamh, who checked me in & out out, was also very friendly & noted the complaints but a week later we haven't heard anything from the hotel other than a survey request & I figure it's probably pointless giving the same feedback a third time. The hotel and the grounds are beautiful and we were impressed with the pool, the Kitchen bar, the cleanliness of the rooms, the bathrooms, the Kitchen bar and were very impressed with Martin, the waiter in The Coach House. However it was really let down by the above.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank jenny0
Write a ReviewReviews (2,729)

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stay here a lot, and there is a reason why !
It's just outside Dublin and off the m50 so it's very easily accessible to all angles, the service, rooms, pool, gym, food, grounds, activities are all of the highest standard and nothing is to much trouble for the staff upon request.
Can't wait for my next stay.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Magnificent Hotel set in beautiful surroundings with two excellent Golf Courses. I played the O'Meara Course which I found to be well maintained with plenty of green keepers on the course. I would say that it is the easier of the two courses as you need to be hitting the ball straight if playing the Montgomery course. The staff were very friendly and the standard of food and service was top of the range. Leisure and Spa facilities were also of a high standard with everything you would want in a Spa. The swimming pool and changing facilities were well maintained and clean. Overall our 2 night stay was one of the best we have had in a complex like this in Ireland. Definitely would recommend Hotel for couples looking for a relaxing break.

Room Tip: ask for a first floor room overlooking the tennis courts
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here for one night, on a golf outing this July. The service was top quality and this time I was staying in one of the rooms in the 'old' part of the building. This was much more convenient as the long walk from the newer part of the building (where most of the bedrooms are located) is tedious. Everyone was 'on point' and the service was top class, as would be expected. Pity my golf was not in the same top class!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old part of the Hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2014

An easy drive from Dublin Airport, Carton House is comfortable, with a team of typically friendly Irish who know how to make their guests feel welcome. I thought the blend of high service with the relative informality of the staff was a winning combination. Food is to a high standard and it's all very good value for money. I'm not a golfer so being surrounded by a golf course was a little off putting (excuse the pun, not intended), but for those who enjoy the game I can imagine this place is paradise. We came here for a business meeting and I can recommend it for that purpose - we were well looked after.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband and I stayed for just one night, but we enjoyed the hotel very much. It is very modern and nicely appointed. The staff was very helpful and seemed quite personable. We played golf on the Montgomerie course, which was a links course and full of sand traps, but very well maintained pleasant. We ate twice in the clubhouse and found the service speedy and the food very tasty. We would definitely return to this resort. The only thing we had a problem with was that the entrance is not well marked, and we drove by it the first time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Enjoyed my stay in Carton house, I found the service excellent. The hotel was immaculately clean, the grounds are breathtaking and well maintained. The bedrooms are comfortable and include fridge, glasses and bottle openers.

Karl from guest services was very helpful. We were able to take the bikes out for a cycle through the countryside, (free of charge). He provided us with maps and advised us on the best routes to go and advised us of some nice scenic routes to stop at. The boat house and shell house were fabulous.

We had a walk through the house and saw the stunningly beautiful rooms in the old part of the house.

The drinks service was prompt and the staff were all polite. It would be a quiet enough hotel. Not for a heavy drinking session.

Breakfast was fine, We got down for 9.30 and they were a bit short on some of the cooked items, which took a while to come out. Rashers were overcooked. One thing i did note at breakfast was the friendliness of the staff, who smiled and greeted you very friendly.

Swimming pool was lovely and again, Very clean.

I look forward to going back to Carton house again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maynooth
The K Club
13 mi away
Osprey Hotel
Osprey Hotel
#3 of 5 in Naas

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!