Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Glenroyal Hotel & Leisure Club(Maynooth)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$183
US$172
Agoda.com
2,755 results
All reviewslinden tree restaurantold housecoach housegolf clubbeautiful hotelkitchen barbeautiful groundsthe main housespa treatmentsrelaxing breaktop classmain restaurantspecial occasionleisure centreone night stayafternoon teaenjoyable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Nicest part was the room and the chips with the meal, the hotel needs to brush up on a lot of things. The hotel was way too busy for the staff to handle, esp at breakfast time, waiting 20 mins for coffee and queuing/waiting for the hot food buffet for food to come out.
Unfortunately the Leisure Center was packed too so didn't enjoy it as much.
Can't fault the room though, nice and spacious and lovely bathroom with good facilities.
Might return in the off-peak season, definitely not again in the summer.
Just don't think it was worth the money when compared to other 4* hotels.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emmilkins
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and also had dinner. Unfortunately while there saw a cheaper package online for that night but we weren't able to avail of it when we mentioned it at checkout. It's a four star with 5 star prices I felt. Food and drink quite expensive. Hotel interior lovely and well worth having a look at the old part of the hotel . The architecture and features in these large rooms are beautiful. They would be fabulous rooms for small weddings.
We had dinner that night. Fine dining it was, small portions and nicely presented. I like those size portions but I could see men not so happy maybe with this. Food was lovely but menu limited and no wow factor. Service very good though.
The bar area is slightly strange, seating area in bar very dark and people tend to sit outside at reception. Staff quite young out here And inexperienced I felt.
Before we left we took the bikes out and cycled around. Unfortunately had to cut our cycle short as it rained. Beautiful grounds and you could probably spend the day exploring it.
In brief lovely hotel in a beautiful setting but overpriced I felt.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank EJ1966
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We're actually still here while writing this and so happy with everything in Carton House, the location is spectacular, sandwiched between two golf courses, and not saying its all golf golf golf, its just pure beauty. Rooms can be a long walk but we knew this and asked for a closer one. Food in the Club House is gorgeous, loads of comfy couches around to have a lazy coffee and people watch. Breakfast is stunning. Better Hotel than some 5*'s and well worth a visit. Pool is clean and tidy, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna all good and well kept. Didn't use the gym cos I'd be afraid I'd get fit.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Niall O
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I have been a patron of this hotel 3 times before. This time will undoubtedly be the last. The fishing was the biggest disappointment. There are new policies in place which require all fishing to be accompanied be a ghillie -which is completely unnecessary. The ghillie is said to be "highly flexible" on fishing times but, I can assure you he is not. It also an extra slap-in-the-face that you have to pay extra for this ghillie that will just be standing beside you as you cast your lure in the water.
The hotel has also decided to discontinue the pay per view movie service -most likely to save money. Very disappointing.
Security is poor, also. Last year the family car had been broken into and iPads stolen on hotel grounds and not much was given in compensation for this -not even a free drink for the huge inconvenience we suffered.
Carton House has declined in quality these past few years. Nothing will attract me back.
My advice? Take a trip down to Ashford Castle in Cong, the contrast is astounding.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank foxerate
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Had an unbelievably bad experience with the management of this hotel, almost beyond belief.First time i have ever posted anything on any site, doing so in order that other people don't get robbed as I did. The hotel really couldn't care if it's customers are thieved from or not. Had money stolen from lockers in the men's changing room, not once but twice.It has apparently happened on other occasions too.I was not the only person. I Called police, the manager (Mr Aiden Mclaughlin) response was completely shocking. My complaint has seemingly irritated him so much, that he has barred me from the premises. You couldn't actually make up some of his emails.The spa manageress Miss Reindls attitude and behavior was equally appealing, she entered the sauna to inform me I was barred from the spa. I suggested if she wished to speak to me, she might wait until I got dressed first and and discuss it in the reception area. I had my young son with me who was in the pool area. While I was at the reception seeking an explanation from Miss Reindl, what possible reason why I would be barred, she informed me it was Mr Mclaughlins decision,("the hotels reputation takes precedence over criminal acts such as thefts") and if I didn't leave now she would call the police and have me removed. I then explained I would not be leaving without my son, whom she was aware was inside the pool area, she insisted I leave of she would call the police. Absolutely unbelievable situation. I waited in the car for
my son. This whole incident was absolutely shocking, it was horrible to have your personal stuff rifled
through and have your money stolen, but then to have to endure hotels attitude was sickening.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo