“Swimming Pool use Only (with toddler.)”
Review of Gables Guest House

Gables Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newbridge
Gables Guest House
Ranked #5 of 6 Newbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Just used swimming pool today for first time. I was with my 21 month old son. Woman on reception wasn't a bit nice. Very curt. Had to ask where to go to find changing rooms. Was told where to find the family room. Found the family closet! Ridiculous little room with an old weight lifters bench thrown in and expected to do. Kicked this stupid thing twice in bare feet. Then as a previous reviewer said, you have to walk out into the corridor on tiled floors, without any mats to avoid slipping. Swimming pool itself is actually ok. Not too warm, not too cold. There is a section of the pool that looks like Jacuzzi feature but it doesn't work. Like two other water features I could see. Place in bad need of repairs. Brackets loose on shower and urinal fixtures. Lots of rusty screws etc. Overall its a pity this place is badly designed and badly run. Won't be back. Was going to get an annual family membership if it was good, but nowhere near good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Justin33631

Reviewed 28 July 2013

The Rooms are Very Dated. Its like a time has stopped around 20 years ago in terms of decor, but other than this the rooms were clean, comfortable.

Tea / Coffey facilities in rooms,

Swimming Pool area excellent, Small enough pool, 2x Jacuzzi, Steam Room, Sauna.

Hotel main doors closes at 8 PM but you have keys to get back into the hotel. We were only looking for a bed to sleep in Newbridge.

Quite expensive to stay, have payed €80 per room per night

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank paddy-finglas-dublin
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We stayed for 1 night at beginning of February. We chose it because it was very close to the venue of the party we were attending. To that end it is within 5-10 minutes of the main High Street in Newbridge which is very handy. The place looks a bit tired and in need of decorating/updating and there was a damp smell in the corridors in the area our room was located. There is evidence of neglect with no lighting in the corridor our room was in and an exposed wire and light fittings hanging down.

However the breakfast was good and the bathroom was clean and the room warm.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Front area was dirty.. Full of leaves and broken front door. The guy at reception was wearing a track suit.. First room we were brought to had a broken shower door. We were moved to a second room which was very spacious.., however very outdated. The beds were old.. And the bed cover was( the one on top of the top sheet) was not clean.., thought it looked like a small old blood stain on it And the base of the bed was old and stained.... In the bathroom no shower gels, shampoos, body lotions or shower caps.., only a small bar of soap in the shower. Also cobwebs in the bathroom. Breakfast was average....my major problem with this place is that it cost €80 for a double room for a night with breakfast.., way too expensive... I would not recommend anybody to stay here.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank sheldry78
Reviewed 12 August 2012

The room (12) had cobwebs where you shouldn't have them the single bed was hard & past it's sell by date the plugs behind the beds were hanging out the plaster & were dangerous. The bathroom was large but dated but everything apart from the phone was working. I enjoyed the good sized 20 metre swimming pool & the sauna & gym facilities & my breakfast was lovely. Unfortunately my other guest had to be at a course at 9 & they didn't facilitate an early breakfast but when I checked out the manager seemed mortified & said of course you could have an earlier continental style breakfast & he would put the member of staff I dealt with right for future reference. The room rate was €40 per person not per room so it wasn't cheap for a bed would I stay again if I was in Newbridge ? Yes I probably would & a bonus was the free wifi!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Thorpeman
Reviewed 9 May 2012

All in all the reviews I read before coming here did put me off, but for the price it's ok for a nite, good view of the river from room 25 window. Warm, no over powering smell, respectively clean,

Close to the Newbridge town center, I walked up to town with in 10mins, had a meal etc

Room tick's the box's
en-suit with shower no bath
tea/coffee facilities in room
crisp white linin on bed
iorning/board
and a swimming pool with sauna etc can't be bad for €40 inc breakfast for a nite, yes room could do with repaint and plug needs a fix screw, superficial fact's.
It's not the ritz or K club, don't get me wrong I'd love to stay at the K club but wow, my budget wont stretch that far does your's???? The Gabels has a bed/breakfast/pool just like K club.

I can't rate other rooms but rm25 was seffice.

Room Tip: Rm 25 is a room for 2, was warm and over looked river, no bath just shower, good value at €40 inc br...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank SpaceTraveler2012
Reviewed 15 April 2012

On arrival the guest house seemed ok dispite the frontdoor area dirty and in need of a good sweep.The lady at recption was ok but not the friendliest person as soon as we walked down the hall towards the rooms we knew this wasn't good. Walls were in need of a paint or wass and the flooring all should be in the bin. The first bedroom smelt something shocking we had to ask to change to another. We had three rooms booked and none of them were what I would call clean or modern. They also have a pool and gym which seem ok and quiet busy. Overall the place is not good and I will not be back to stay.

Room Tip: There were none that I saw
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank connie d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbridge
The Keadeen Hotel
The Curragh B&B Country House Accommodation
Seven Springs
Seven Springs
#4 of 6 in Newbridge

Been to Gables Guest House? Share your experiences!