“Beautiful hotel such a find!!”
Review of Viewmount House

Viewmount House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Longford
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My husband found this hotel and we were so glad he did!
when we arrived we were shown to our lovely room, the bed was huge with a beautiful crisp white duvet that you just wanted to sink into.
We were offered tea or coffee which was brought to our room with a selection of chocolate bars.
We booked dinner it was delicious, we are still talking about it.
The restaurant is a new addition to the main house, its a lovely place to eat.
Spend the time after your meal walking around the garden its beautifully landscaped.
The attention to detail in all the rooms is delightful, our bathroom had a spa bath which soothed away all our aches and pains from the journey.
I agree with other comments about the pancakes they are amazing, my husband believes that his poached eggs were the best he ever tasted.
All the produce served was locally sourced.
Thank you to Beryl and her husband you run a lovely hotel, we will definately return!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 July 2011

totally recommend this place. really good value, great house, just pertect

Reviewed 9 July 2011

Love love love viewmount house. Food and service is a great experience

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My wife and I spent 7 very enjoyable nights at Viewmount House and enjoyed a room that was more of a suite with upstairs loft living area and downstairs bedroom & bath. Very spacious accomodations and very clean and well kept. The Inn is located in a quiet area bordering a golf course with beautiful gardens surrounding the inn. Associated with the inn is a first class restaurant open evenings Wed-Sat and Sunday brunch. However, breakfast was served daily in a separate cozy inn dining room where our hosts, James & Beryl Kearney, provided a delicious selection of food. Centrally located in Ireland's Midlands within walking distance to downtown Longford, yet feeling very much out in the country. A totally enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section of the inn
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Just back from a weekend in the Viewmount and can't wait to visit again. Although I have been to Longford a number of times I had not heard of the Viewmount and was slightly worried about taking a chance on it. My fears were happily unfounded. I will say however that we nearly missed the turn to the house and had to do some unusual driving to get to the entry road. Once at the house Beryl welcomed us warmly and brought us to rooms 1 and 3 in the main house. I felt as if I was now in an episode of a period drama. Room 3 was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom although not huge was perfectly adequate. The views out over the surrounding country side were lovely. This was helped by the fact that the weather was very nice too. We had booked dinner in the VM restaurant and am so glad we did. The food was amazing and all plates went back empty. The amuse bouche was delightful, the portion sizes were ample and when it came to the desert it was a struggle but worth it. There is a small bar available before you enter the restaurant and we had a night cap there and then turned in for a quiet night's sleep. The breakfast was very good too and I would recommend the pancakes with bacon and maple syrup. The full breakfast was also very taste. The gardens around the house were a real bonus. The japanese style garden beside the restaurant to the more formal gardens behind the house were peaceful and very helpful in helping the digestion process after dinner. Broadband was available in the room, it was a little slow but adequate for checking mail, weather and local attractions. There was also a access available on a PC in one of the sitting rooms. The house is not far from the center of the town but probably too far for a walk about 35-40 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I was looking for somewhere enroute from Dingle to Dublin and actually made a bit of a mistake since this was a bit further north than intended but what a lucky find.
A very elegant property with rooms with modern facilities but tastefully furnished with antiques and older style furnishings in keeping with the property. My husband being disabled needed a walkin shower and the toom allocated had an excellent wet room although the rest of the bathroom floor tiles were a bit like an ice rink when wet.
There is no tea and coffee facilities in the room but a tray and kettle was provided on request.
The restaurant was incredible - packed on a Saturday night - obviously a popular spot in Longford. The menu is very pricey and the wines even more so, but an excellent meal and a nice end to a wonderful trip to Ireland

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2011

The Viewmount House (http://www.viewmounthouse.com/) Is up a driveway off the road, Beryl, the owner, came to meet us at the door, then took us to our rooms and asked if we would like tea. I stayed in a family room on the ground floor, on the website it is shown as Finn room 24, I was so pleased that there were no stairs to my room, the first thing that my daughter said to me when we went into the room and stood by the window was 'can you hear that' yes we could hear nothing but bird song and peace and quiet, this room looked out onto a little garden. We sat in the lounge, had a cup of tea with biscuits, while sorting out what we were going to do, as the resturant was closed Beryl suggested the Purple Onion, (see separte review) The Viewmount was, delightful as was our host. I don't hesitate to recommend this and only wish we had stayed there more than one night. This is such a marvellous place to enjoy a tranquil stay, perfect to unwind.
Beryl makes the most amazing soda bread, forget that hard stuff from the supermarket this is delicious beyond delicious and was served at breakfast. I had my first full Irish, yes just try that for yourself and see if it's not totally delicious, first class.
Beryl was a delight and helped out with places to see on our way to Galway. I wish we had stayed there longer and will do on my next visit to Ireland.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longford
Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant
Wineport Lodge
Wineport Lodge
#2 of 9 in Athlone
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone

Been to Viewmount House? Share your experiences!