“Looking forward to staying again”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Viewmount House

Viewmount House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Longford
Dundalk, Ireland
“Looking forward to staying again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I recently stayed at Viewmount house with my wife for dinner bed and breakfast. The restaurant was more like you would expect from a 5 star hotel, The food was first class and the staff could not do enough. The room was very comfortable with the added benefit of an upstairs area for TV and relaxation. The house is in a quiet setting with a number of beautiful gardens, ideal for walking and relaxing. Great place to break the journey when traveling across the country. Looking forward to staying again soon

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

This has some of the best food I have ever tasted in my life. Its just excellent, simple as that. If I was pushed to point out a negative it would be that the desserts were not to the same standard of the other courses. I enjoyed the petit fours more than the actual dessert, in saying that I rate it 5 star.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jackmc1
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was working in the area and was struggling to find somewhere to stay until I noticed Viewmount House on Google Maps. It looked expensive from their site (€110 per night I think) but when I rang I was only charged something like €60 per night, and for this price it really was a fantastic place. I had a huge room which was very clean, comfortable and quiet. The gardens out the back are great to look out on and there was free broadband throughout the building. I didn't eat in the restaurant as it was closed but given how nice breakfast was I can understand all the good reviews of their food.

So all-in-all it's a really nice place that I would absolutely stay in again if in the area, just make sure you phone to book as it seems to be much cheaper than the website!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed in June 2013 in the family suite with 2 teenage children. The room was so comfortable, the hospitality exceptional and the restaurant was the best value for money, quality feed I have ever experienced. The purpose of our visit was a family wedding with a family dinner organised the night before the wedding. The whole stay was exceptional and a visit to Longford just for the dinner is not over the top. The spa bath fits my 6'4' son in comfort and the breakfast the next day was included in the very reasonable tarriff unbelievably. The gardens are also beautiful. We will return here on future visits to Ireland

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dave D
Aurora, IL, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

We stayed at Viewmount House years ago before the restaurant opened and we loved our stay and wanted to return and try the restaurant, too. This was near the end of our 2-week self-drive around Ireland and it's a great stopping point when driving from Donegal or Galway back to Dublin. The house and gardens are even more beautiful than before; the restaurant is excellent; and they've opened up an additional guest lounge in the historic former kitchen room. Our Packenham Suite was quite deluxe: comfortable bedroom, large bathroom, and a beautiful and spacious sitting room, with Waterford crystal drinking glasses. Our friends' rooms were also very elegantly decorated and comfortable. The gardens are more beautiful and expansive than ever and so tranquil to walk through or just sit and relax in. The VM restaurant is beautifully decorated with attractive views of the house and grounds. The food was wonderfully prepared and presented and was one of the highlight meals of our trip. The menu is fixed price but we were also able to order a la carte for the smaller appetites. Desserts are delicious and very imaginative -- I enjoyed the "PBJ." We lingered long after most other diners had left, not wanting the dinner to end. Service was very pleasant and attentive. We can certainly see how VM Restaurant would be beautiful for weddings and other special occasions.

James and Beryl are very hospitable hosts. Our room was in the original house, they have added some ground floor rooms but this is not a detached annex like so many other places with modern additions: the new wing of guest rooms opens right to the guest lounge and the restaurant, so all the new rooms feel a part of the main house, too. Breakfast is one of the best in Ireland, including delicious pancakes/crepes.

If you are passing anywhere near Longford we highly recommend VM Restaurant and staying over night; it is gracious living at it's best, and reasonably priced for the value.

Room Tip: It may cost a little more but the Packenham Suite is very large and comfortable and worth a splurge...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Had a lovely three nights here in May 2013. Was in Longford on business and this was a wonderful place to come back to in the evenings. The restaurant was not open on the nights I stayed but the breakfasts were great and the room huge. The only thing I would have liked that I didn't get was tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Can't recommend it enough!

Room Tip: I had a larger room on 2 floors because they were quite quiet that week and it was lovely.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night initially before meeting up with family. We had such a great time that we decided to go back and stay for another 3 nights. Fantastic place to stay, with comfortable beds, super shower and bathroom, wonderful hosts, best breakfast in Ireland, and a wonderful associated restaurant. I can't rate this highly enough!

We chose to stay in a suite which had a lovely view over the garden, and a mezzanine with sofas and tv. On one very wet and hailing afternoon I spent a lovely time sitting in the lounge enjoying a cup of tea in front of the fire, while my husband worked. Relaxing, warm and a real home away from home.

The restaurant is at the top end of the scale, professional service, fantastic food, and the ambience is simply delightful. We enjoyed both meals we had here, lovely balances of flavour and presentation was excellent. Delicious food, in ample quantity, lovely people and faultless service.

All up I have to say that this is a place for travellers to stay - extremely business like, but warm and welcoming, excellent wifi, food and comfort. A real asset for Longford as we are likely to go back just to stay here!!!!

Room Tip: Just be clear about why you are visiting and I'm sure the best room for your needs will be provi...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RooGirl5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longford
Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant
Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club
Cooneys Hotel
Cooneys Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballymahon

Been to Viewmount House? Share your experiences!