“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Longford
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Viewmount recently and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The room was truly lovely with a view of the garden which was in full bloom. We had dinner in the restaurant and the meal was superb - amongst the best restauarants we have dined in across the world. We will definitely make a return visit!

Room Tip: If the hotel is not too busy ask, politely, if a free upgrade is possible - you never know your luck...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Trim, Ireland
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My husband & I had the great pleasure of experiencing lunch in Viewmount House recently and the warm sincere welcome we received was a wonderful first impression. The dining room is located in a very tastefully restored stone cut building overlooking beautifully maintained landscaped gardens which made for a nice relaxed atmosphere. It was full of fellow diners but the service we received did not falter and indeed far from any feeling of being rushed in any way the servers were very friendly and helpful and the food was beautifully presented and really delicious. We took the advice of the server and when our meal was over we took the time to visit the unexpected and amazing Japanese garden which is a jewel in the crown of this wonderful establishment. I would strongly recommend Viewmount to anyone intent on enjoying great food in comfortable surroundings.
Not only were we impressed with our experience there but on our return home I found I had mislaid my sunglasses and made a call to Viewmount to see if I had left them there. I didn't speak to Beryl, the owner but my message was passed on because a day or two later I received a voice mail from her to let me know she had gone to the car park thinking I may have dropped them there and had made extensive enquiries for me. I was very impressed with the efforts she made on my behalf and the good news is that my glasses were found and handed in to a local shop close to where I live so all ended happily. Well done everybody.

Room Tip: Sorry, we didn't actually stay in Viewmount but if I am ever in the area again and in need of ac...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I recently stayed at Viewmount house with my wife for dinner bed and breakfast. The restaurant was more like you would expect from a 5 star hotel, The food was first class and the staff could not do enough. The room was very comfortable with the added benefit of an upstairs area for TV and relaxation. The house is in a quiet setting with a number of beautiful gardens, ideal for walking and relaxing. Great place to break the journey when traveling across the country. Looking forward to staying again soon

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This has some of the best food I have ever tasted in my life. Its just excellent, simple as that. If I was pushed to point out a negative it would be that the desserts were not to the same standard of the other courses. I enjoyed the petit fours more than the actual dessert, in saying that I rate it 5 star.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jackmc1
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was working in the area and was struggling to find somewhere to stay until I noticed Viewmount House on Google Maps. It looked expensive from their site (€110 per night I think) but when I rang I was only charged something like €60 per night, and for this price it really was a fantastic place. I had a huge room which was very clean, comfortable and quiet. The gardens out the back are great to look out on and there was free broadband throughout the building. I didn't eat in the restaurant as it was closed but given how nice breakfast was I can understand all the good reviews of their food.

So all-in-all it's a really nice place that I would absolutely stay in again if in the area, just make sure you phone to book as it seems to be much cheaper than the website!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed in June 2013 in the family suite with 2 teenage children. The room was so comfortable, the hospitality exceptional and the restaurant was the best value for money, quality feed I have ever experienced. The purpose of our visit was a family wedding with a family dinner organised the night before the wedding. The whole stay was exceptional and a visit to Longford just for the dinner is not over the top. The spa bath fits my 6'4' son in comfort and the breakfast the next day was included in the very reasonable tarriff unbelievably. The gardens are also beautiful. We will return here on future visits to Ireland

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dave D
Aurora, IL, USA
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We stayed at Viewmount House years ago before the restaurant opened and we loved our stay and wanted to return and try the restaurant, too. This was near the end of our 2-week self-drive around Ireland and it's a great stopping point when driving from Donegal or Galway back to Dublin. The house and gardens are even more beautiful than before; the restaurant is excellent; and they've opened up an additional guest lounge in the historic former kitchen room. Our Packenham Suite was quite deluxe: comfortable bedroom, large bathroom, and a beautiful and spacious sitting room, with Waterford crystal drinking glasses. Our friends' rooms were also very elegantly decorated and comfortable. The gardens are more beautiful and expansive than ever and so tranquil to walk through or just sit and relax in. The VM restaurant is beautifully decorated with attractive views of the house and grounds. The food was wonderfully prepared and presented and was one of the highlight meals of our trip. The menu is fixed price but we were also able to order a la carte for the smaller appetites. Desserts are delicious and very imaginative -- I enjoyed the "PBJ." We lingered long after most other diners had left, not wanting the dinner to end. Service was very pleasant and attentive. We can certainly see how VM Restaurant would be beautiful for weddings and other special occasions.

James and Beryl are very hospitable hosts. Our room was in the original house, they have added some ground floor rooms but this is not a detached annex like so many other places with modern additions: the new wing of guest rooms opens right to the guest lounge and the restaurant, so all the new rooms feel a part of the main house, too. Breakfast is one of the best in Ireland, including delicious pancakes/crepes.

If you are passing anywhere near Longford we highly recommend VM Restaurant and staying over night; it is gracious living at it's best, and reasonably priced for the value.

Room Tip: It may cost a little more but the Packenham Suite is very large and comfortable and worth a splurge...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longford
Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant
#1 of 3 in Roscommon
Convent Guest House
Convent Guest House
#1 of 2 in Lanesborough

Been to Viewmount House? Share your experiences!