“Avoid the restaurant”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Longford
Genouilly, France
“Avoid the restaurant”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We popped in for some lunch but found that the lady serving was quite unhelpful and in fact quite unpleasant; she was talking our her cell phone. We placed our order and went to find a table. Not one clean table in the place. Even those that didn't have used crockery and cutlery were dirty. We asked for our money back and left. Neither the lady behind the counter nor the Manager seemed surprised, handed our money over. The lady behind the counter continued her telephone conversation as if nothing had happened.
What a shame.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank DDMcGarry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I was staying for one night as part of a group booking for a theatre performance. When I arrived, all the windows in the small single bed room were wide open on a particularly cold '3 degrees' day. When I closed them, I realised why they were open. It was a smoking room which I didnt think existed anymore. I had no time to let them know but as it was extremely busy there, I didnt think there would be another room to move to.
After a pretty sleepless night due to the smell, I had breakfast which was very undesirable. No milk on the table, hard rashers, extremely watery scrambled eggs but I have to say, pleasant staff who were happy to help.
The same cannot be said for the woman at reception as i was checking out. As I was on a group booking, my room had already been paid for so when I was checking out I mentioned this. The reply I received was,"yeah, €40!". I was slightly confused, so I explained again my group booking... again, "YEAH, €40!!". Third time, I said I would have to call my director as I wasnt told I would be paying, to which she said in an extremely harsh tone, "YEAH, I KNOW!!!! I HAVE A CREDIT CARD FOR THOSE ROOMS!!".
I felt extremely embarrassed as I had never been confronted like this as I was checking out, and felt somehow this exchange was my fault, but afterwards thinking about it, I knew I was in the right.
This person is the hotels representation! She will be the first and last person you exchange with and I think she needs to understand that her way of speaking to paying guests needs to improve. I am really annoyed I cant remember her name, but I remember she had dark hair tied in a pony tail and looked like she was very angry at something.
Leave your personal problems at your home front door!!!

Room Tip: ask for non smoking as soon as you arrive!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Robbannon

Travellers are raving about these Longford hotels

Meath
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We have been in Longford Arms Hotel on a number of occasions and thought over the years that it had deteriorated however the last visit will definitely be our LAST visit. We went in for a cup of coffee, sandwich and cup of boiling water with lemon. When we went in restaurant/tea room closed so we went into bar to see note on counter to state if you require anything contact reception or tea/room.............not one staff serving bar!!!!!!! My husband went to reception and was sent to tea room where a unfriendly girl took order. She returned and dumpted it on bar counter, wouldn't even serve it. The boiling water was brown, possibly poured from tea stained teapot, and no lemon available!!!!!! The coffee was cold and the ham was stale. This is not to mention the dirt of seats, table, floor in fact everything. There were a few people there having meetings and drinking water. A number of people came in looking for service and left, definitely a wise decision and one we will be taken from now on, in fact the wisest one would be not be even bother going into it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DisgustedMeath
Lausanne
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here overnight whilst visiting Longford, arriving on a wet and windy evening. There is (large) free parking at the rear of the hotel. I had reserved via the web site and the staff were friendly and efficient at check-in. My room was at the back of the hotel and, although the view was not inspiring, the bed was comfortable and I enjoyed a very good night's sleep. The hotel is not the last word in latest decoration, but everything worked. There is free wireless internet (but signal is very weak at the back of the hotel) which was intermittent when I arrived, but worked fine in the morning.

Room Tip: My room was at the rear of the hotel on the second floor. I'd pick that one again if I stayed t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Lancashire
Reviewed 18 October 2013

After reading some of the reports, after I had booked this hotel, I was rather anxious, but needed this location in Ireland for a business trip.
I was therefore pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the hotel. First appearance isn't the best, however I found this a very comfortable hotel. It cannot be compared to modern, city hotels, as it is a typical regional hotel.
The hotel is very clean, the staff very friendly, especially the night porter, gave excellent directions to me.
The rooms i stayed were spacious, clean, with good bathrooms. i stayed on 2 separate nights and both rooms were of the same standard. The bed was very comfortable, the matress felt quite new. All was very clean.
I ate in the bar area and the food was very good, the barman was superb, knew the menu well, recommended items, overall an excellent service, much better than many impersonal chain hotels. I would have no hesitation in recommending the food at this hotel, the roast beef dinner was delicious.
I stay in many hotels on business, and would definitely use this one again, and recommend it to others for business trips. In fact it was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on opposite side to the road.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ireland
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I had a meal in the restaurant and it was simply terrible! So hence I want be paying another visit. The place is very out-dated, toilets need looking at, in fact everything needs looking at from top to bottom.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jimmi6791
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Looks can be deceiving and this is certainly the case with the Longford Arms. We spent one night here recently. There’s plenty of free parking at the back of the hotel. Just pull a ticket at the barrier when you enter and have it validated at reception when you are checking out. Check-in was prompt and receptionist was pleasant enough, but not all staff were of pleasant disposition I’m sorry to report. The hotel looks very appealing on the internet, and also from the outside when you arrive there. The reception area is bright and pleasantly decorated, but as we discovered, the further up the stairs we went towards our room, the less appealing it became. I don’t know how many different types and colours of carpet we encountered on the way. The room we got wasn’t great. It was a bit on the dark side and the aluminium window frames, which were absolutely ancient, were very dirty. There was a wash hand basin in the bedroom itself, not in the bathroom – very odd altogether. It meant that having used the bathroom we had to come back out into the bedroom to wash our hands etc. It just didn’t feel right, and we have never come across this before. There were three lights over the mirror at wash hand basin and only one of them worked. The room décor was atrocious, there was no thought given to colour co-ordination between the curtains, carpet and bed clothes. Our bedroom walls were painted in a mustard-coloured paint, and so were the tiles in the bathroom!!! There was a small (tiny in fact) portable television on a bracket up at ceiling level – dreadful. The sound kept fading on it. The bath was very old and had been re-surfaced, but was peeling very badly around the plug hole. There was serious mould on the tiles around the bath and overall the bathroom was dark and dingy. Despite it being October, it was extremely mild out, yet the radiators were hopping off the walls. We were baked, even leaving the windows open. A hairdryer was supplied in the dressing table drawer, but there was no plug near the dressing table, for access to a mirror! I ended up using my own hairdryer, which had a longer flex, and pulled a chair over, beside the mirror wardrobes so I could at least see what I was doing. The bed was comfortable but we woke a few times during the night with the intense heat because of the radiators being on. The shower wasn’t great, the dirty grout and mould turned me right off and I couldn’t get out of it quick enough. We used the leisure centre before breakfast. Nice facility but could be so much better. The white plastic fins around the edge of the pool were dirty and broken in several places. The hoist used to help disabled people in and out of the pool was very badly rusted at the base and looked awful. The leisure centre needs an overhaul. Tried several showers before I found one that the door actually locked on. Tiles again needed a good scrubbing and re-grouting. Had to go back to our room to dry my hair because none of the hairdryers in the leisure centre had attachments on the nozzles. Breakfast was standard, and despite being told it was ‘self-service’ by the lady behind the counter, we couldn’t serve ourselves because the cooked breakfast were behind a glass counter panel. It’s either self-service or it isn’t!! Sitting down eating breakfast I noticed the doors into the kitchen were badly scuffed and battered and the floors weren’t the cleanest either. For €80 B&B for two people, we thought it was a bit pricey. We certainly have paid a lot less for so much better. Unfortunately this hotel is the only one in Longford town so the proprietors obviously think they can do what they like and charge what they like as they feel people have no choice. Well it’s about time they found out that people do have a choice! It’s unlikely we will be staying in the Longford Arms again and we definitely wouldn’t recommend it to anybody.

Room Tip: Don't book a room here at all, go elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DubTwosome
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longford
Viewmount House
#4 of 7 in Longford
St Albans House
St Albans House
#6 of 7 in Longford

Been to Longford Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!