“Very disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Longford
Leinster
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 15 August 2007

My husband & I were looking forward to staying at the Longford Arms Hotel with our two children...what a disappointment. Check-in was appalling...the Receptionist had no idea of customer service. At check-in (6.45 pm), we were informed (in a most abrupt manner) that if we wanted to have dinner in the Restaurant that night, it had to be 7.30 -7.45 at the latest. We arrived to the Restaurant at 7.40 pm. Not sure what the great hurry was, as the restaurant was not busy - however, the service was so slow. Quality of food was poor.

The following day,we went to the Leisure Centre to be informed that they had no towels for hotel guests. We were told that the Hotel did not give towels to the Leisure Centre for the Bank Holiday weekend, as the Hotel would have been left short. The Leisure Centre staff advised that we should return to the Hotel and request towels!!

Our bedroom was right above the function room...functions on both nights of our stay. Not what you want on a break away, but in particular when trying to get two children to sleep.

On a side, locks on bedroom doors were not safe for children - all a child had to do was turn the handle and the door was open.

Needless to say at check-out, we were not asked if we were happy with our stay... I think this says it all!

Perhaps, if there was more competition in Longford, staff in the Longford Arms Hotel would have to change their style..definitely an opening for a customer friendly hotel in Longford.

• Liked — Number of beds in the room
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank customerfriendly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed 19 July 2007

I have stayed in many hotels throughout Ireland and generally been pleased. On numerous trips through Ireland I had stopped for lunch at the cafe in the Longford arms and been pleased.
Travelling back for an early ferry to the UK I though it would be a relaxing end to the holiday to stay at the hotel.
On arrival all seemed OK. The rooms were good.
The restauarant - well we'd have been better off getting a burger or bag of crisps
A starter of clam chouder was basically a tin of tuna with soup poured over it. The main course well more of the same.
My father and uncle were restaurant managers in the UK in their working lifes and have never experienced such bad food and service
We went to bed about 10:00pm and all seemed OK
Then I woke up with a start - fire alarm I thought
No a disco - I rang reception to see if I could chnage rooms - the answer - no we're full
I tried to watch the TV until the noise finished but could not hear it over the noise.
On checking out I raised my concerns about the noise - the response - you didn't ask for a quite room!
I will never stay there again. As the other review stated find a B&B

• Liked — Easy to find
  • Disliked — Food, noise, service
  • Stayed May 2004, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
8 Thank ParkBrook

Travellers are raving about these Longford hotels

Dublin
Reviewed 5 November 2006

On check in the girl took a phone call, the guy debated the price and she said "this is Longford we have no competition". That set the tone for the whole stay. The hotel is outdated, the food terrible and the staff were disinterested. I regularly stay throughout Ireland and this is one of the worst experinces I have had in years. If you have to stay in Longford get a good B&B this place is to be avoided.

15 Thank BusinessTraveller345
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longford
Viewmount House
#4 of 7 in Longford
St Albans House
St Albans House
#6 of 7 in Longford

Been to Longford Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!