“Quite simply wonderful”
Review of The Oystercatcher Bistro - CLOSED

The Oystercatcher Bistro
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Classical Bistro style, chef and wife team, unpretentious, mediterrean atmosphere, with quality fish game and meats products sourced locally, The Oystercatcher also offers its version of "Street Food" each Sunday afternoon, with local oysters, dressed crab, Carlingford smoked salmon and chowders
“Quite simply wonderful”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Myself and my better half ate here last night and we really enjoyed everything about it. The food was delicious and expertly prepared. Harry is an extremely talented chef and can make a simple dish taste out of this world. Marian is the perfect host. if you come to carlingford this is a must stop place for you and yours.

1 Thank Justin L

Dublin, Ireland
“Consistently exceptional food in quality and taste”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had two trips to the Oystercatcher in the last fortnight and loved them both; the quality and taste of the food is consistently exceptional. On our most recent visit my husband had the Andalusian prawns and the hake and pronounced them delicious. I had the chowder and it was very very good. I am a bit of conaisseur of chowders; I have them everywhere I go and recently went to a lesson in Kilkeel on how to make my own, I found this really flavoursome and original. There was pumpkin added for Halloween which I have never come across in a chowder before but it was a great idea which I will try at home and it contained some soft bread croutons also which had a lovely velvety texture. It was hard to choose as the menu all looked so good. the plaice was just delicious, grilled to perfection. The bread and butter pudding was real comfort food with a delicate flavour and the chocolate dessert was also judged to be very good. The wines are appropriate to the restaurant and reasonably priced and a brandy afterwards was the perfect end to a memorable meal. The visits are hard to categorise as we were with family on the first visit and met some old friends we ended up joining on the second though we went as a couple; everyone enjoyed their meals thoroughly. but it is the kind of place suitable also for business or a solo meal. Harry and Marion came out to check how all was going and the staff were charming and friendly. I am already looking forward to oysters and a steak on my next visit.

“Great food, nice hosts”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

What a lovely restaurant. Rather small place, but great feel & flavour. Marian & Harry are very friendly hosts and helpful. Harry took the time for a nice chat and offered his recommendation on how to best enjoy oysters, which I duly followed. I had oysters as a started au naturel and was able to experience what Harry described about eating oysters. I am still a novice when it comes to oysters and I think I might prefer them Louth and proud over au naturel, but I can verify that next time. My main course was the signature disk, Cataplana, which was full of flavours and a rich variety of different fish and shell fish. Fab. Dessert was freshly made Bread and Butter pudding with layers of apple. All together this was a very enjoyable dinner experience and I will be back here when in the area. Highly recommended.

belfast
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate here last night to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we were very pleased with everything from the delicious food to the atmosphere and prices. The food is creative but is also satisfying comfort food. We were warmly greeted by Marian the co-owner who seated us and then the friendly efficient waitress got us a drink while we perused the menu. The choice of food was wonderful and a request to omit chorizo (I don't eat red meat) from one of the fish dishes was dealt with efficiently and creatively, basically I got another variation of the hake dish which was on offer so it was served on a bed of Ratatouille instead. The starters of Smoked Salmon Risotto and Andalusian prawns were both delicious, and my husbands slow cooked Ham Shank was melt in the mouth flavoursome. The wine is reasonably priced and overall the whole meal was very good value for the quality and the service. Harry the chef and co owner came out to speak to everyone in the bistro afterwards and it's a very nice touch as he is genuinely interested in what you think of his food and if you enjoyed it. We thoroughly recommend this Bistro.

Visited October 2013
Cavan, Ireland
“Lovely little restaurant”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

we dined here early on a Friday Night, its a lovely little Bistro. the food was delicious, the service was great, we weren't just sitting down and our food arrived, we had time to relax enjoy a glass of wine. a nice touch was the Chef (he may also be the owner) came out to speak to everyone and ask if we had enjoyed our meal.
would certainly go back anytime

• Visited September 2013