“Fantastic Bar”

Price range: US$4 - US$11
Cuisines: Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are an Irish traditional pub that serves pub grub at a high standard downstairs, a disco bar upstairs that attracts a crowd of all age groups at the weekend and a banquet hall in the castle, enjoy cheers
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We visited this bar for an afternoon drink during a cool, rainy day. The place was very quiet with a very friendly bartender. It gave us, being American, a real sense of a pub in the country side of Ireland. I would definetly recommend anyone in the area, especially tourists, to take the time to visit Taaffes and have a drink.

1  Thank TXRedRider

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Lovely bar for a drink, beer garden also nice if the weather is good - lovely old style to the pub - will definitely return

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Probably one of the best pub meals I've had! Pizza and cold beer was great on the summer day. Would really recommend trying the pizza. One pizza is fairly good size - probably enough for 1 person. Good value deal set on the pizza as well. Staff also very friendly as well as patrons. Very welcoming.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Spent a lovely few hours in Carlingford last week and visited Taafees Castle bar with three children as the menu looked appropriate for the boys and was affordable. I had to go and find someone to take my order. I ordered chicken burger and chips for the boys which they were really looking forward to. When the meal came out, most of the chips were burned at the ends!. My son (9 yrs) pointed out to me that his chicken burger was very very juicy so when I looked it looked still pink to me. I called the waitress over and explained that i thought the burger was undercooked. She gave me the excuse that all their food was pre-cooked before it gets to them and all the burgers were cooked the same. I wasn't happy with this response and she asked if I wanted her to take the burger back which she did. In less than 5 minutes, she came back and much to my astonishment, it was the same burger and the same chips! She had obviously zapped it in the oven. At this stage the burger was inedible. When I went to pay the bill, i told the same waitress that I wasn't happy with the service at all and couldn;t believe that she had brought the same burger out to me!! She was adamant that it was a different burger. I knew it was the same burger because of where I had cut into it to test it and my son had taken a bite out of it. i refused to pay for my sons meal and after checking with someone else in the bar she came back with the revised bill.
Her couldn't care less attidude and the poor food meant that it was a bad end to what had been a very good day in Carlingford. Def wont be back in Taaffes Castle Bar and wouldn't recommend it to anyone

3  Thank Annette H
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We were in Carlingford for its famous Oyster Festival. The atmosphere was electric! Gorgeous seaside village in the south if Ireland. It's an absolute gem. There are lots of good restaurants and pubs but Taaffees Castle is really something special. It's situated in the main st but in the grounds of a 16th century castle. There's a gorgeous beer garden /courtyard. inside the pub its contemporary and Traditional. From you walk in the ambiance welcomes you. Staff friendly but not in pretentious way- all very genuine helpful and funny (wicked senses of humour - had us on the floor!!). There's a disco upstairs but we didn't go up as too much fun downstairs. The food was great- good value too! To be fair most of Carlingford offers fair prices- good thinking in the current climate. My fiancé and I are already planning a return trip next weekend for Guinness Taaffes BBQ. If you were looking an alternative wedding venue this place rocks! Plenty of history too.