“Smashing; and I’m not referring to the inexperienced waitress who kept dropping things…”

The Russell Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 75 Restaurants in Navan
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We (as a family of 15) ate in The Russell Restaurant last night (11 May 2013) and had a SMASHING night. This was my first time to eat in this restaurant and didn’t really know what to expect. We were meeting there to celebrate a surprise 70th birthday. We had a table booked for 8pm and arrived at about 7:30pm for pre-dinner drinks and to get into position before our celebrant arrived.
I’m a big believer in “first impressions” and the first thing that struck me was the décor in The Russell Restaurant; it’s VERY nice (as one of our party (who is from Navan) said “you wouldn’t think you were in Navan”). Unfortunately, I found the blond lady at the bar a bit abrupt when I went to order pre-dinner drinks; her opening line to me was “are you alright?”.
As the rest of our guests arrived we made our way to our table (in front of the kitchen hatch). I like restaurants that have open kitchens as to me it suggests they have nothing to hide. We were all eating off the Early Bird Menu which was very good value (2 courses €19.75 and 3 courses €21.75).
Most of us went for either the Hot n Spicy Chicken Wings served with Celery Spear and Blue Cheese & Garlic Dip; the Smoked Salmon Parcel infused with Horseradish & Red Onion and served with Cucumber Pickle; or (as I myself opted for) Thai Beef Salad ( a Warm Beef Salad served with Chilli and Garlic Dressing). All the food came to the table in a speedy manner, was very well presented and most importantly tasted delish.
Again, for Main Courses, most of us opted for similar dishes. I’m not a big fan of fish (bad experience as a child with a fishbone) but I decided to order the Oven Baked Cod with a Coconut Herb Crust served on a bed of Vegetable Spaghetti. This was one of the nicest dishes I have had for a long time and might, just might, have persuaded me that I shouldn’t limit myself by avoiding fish dishes. Other guests ordered Dry Aged 8oz Sirloin Steak served with Market Fresh Greens, Red Onion Jam and Peppercorn Sauce (I loved the way the peppercorn sauce was served in an espresso cup); and others had the Supreme of Chicken served with Sweet Parsnip Puree & Roast Marinated Veg, Hazelnut Crumbs and Thyme Jus; and one of our party ordered the Tortellini stuffed with Ricotta Cheese & Spinach, Pine Nuts with a White Wine & Basil Cream.
The restaurant presented a birthday cake (which we had brought in ourselves) with a choice of tea and various types of coffees.
Overall, we had a fantastic evening. The restaurant was very busy (we saw two other groups celebrating birthdays too); despite all this the service was fast, friendly and efficient (except for one unfortunate inexperienced waitress who kept dropping things both on the floor and on the table). Most importantly the food was of an excellent high standard and we all agreed we would return to The Russell Restaurant. We had a SMASHING evening and I’m not referring to the inexperienced waitress who kept dropping things…

5  Thank GFPDUB

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I was not impressed with the overall service and food at this restaurant. I have been to this restaurant many times before and the quality was quite good. On arriving at the restaurant we had to wait for our table even though it was booked. We were not offered anything to drink while waiting and had read the menu several times. When seated to our table it was freezing cold the air conditioning was on and a draft coming in the door. There was very little choice on the menu. When we finally got served we had to wait 25 minutes for our starter. The starter was good it was soup who can go wrong with soup anyway. When we got our main course it was very poor - just chicken on the bone no vegetables. There was very little chicken and still felt hungry afterwards. We order champ and it was awful. It was lumpy and gooey and just tasted like milk. The waitress asked if everything was alright at the very start of our meal which we said yes as we had not started eating it yet. When the waitress was collecting the plates she asked if everything was alrite, I replied saying it was just ok. The waitress just walked away and said nothing. The waitress got another lady that seemed to be the over the staff came over with the dessert menus. I explained that the meal was not good. I found very rude and confrontational. She said you were asked earlier was your meal ok and you should of said then. We were not handed our bill, we had to pay on the way at the bar. I will never return back again.

3  Thank slhldk
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

Tried the new menu. Food was probally the nicest I tasted in a long time. The new menu was fantastic. Only flaw it was pricey however I don't mind paying when the food is so good.

On the night the restaurant was very busy which in these times it's great to see. We were seated upstairs! I would have prefered downstairs as I booked a week in advanced.

The staff were rushed off there feet! Unfortunately you don't get a more personal service as they are rushing around, however they are very friendly and good at what they do.

I love the ambience the restaurant creates. I will return and looking forward to!

2  Thank DekkieB
Reviewed 17 March 2013

It wouldn't be somewhere I'd go regularly because it's just the wrong side of expensive. The food is good, no denying. Steaks in particular. Service wasn't great. It's not the friendliest of places.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

this is fine dining at its best, steak was superb and the fish to die for. i would recommend this place to anyone from business groups to romantic couples or just a group of friends. staff very friendly and helpful, cant wait to be back

3  Thank dolly j