“Tasty, Fresh Food with a Bit of Flair near Navan”
Review of The Peacock Bistro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Peacock Bistro
Cuisines: European, Irish
Description: A very welcoming restaurant serving freshly cooked breakfast and lunch daily with a deliciously decadent homemade dessert menu. We would gladly accomadate your party for any special occasion and we also offer FREE kids menu every sunday.
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our innkeeper, Patricia at Lougher Farm (near Newgrange), suggested that we make the jaunt to this restaurant for a late lunch after a day of traveling and touring Newgrange, giving it her very highest recommendation. We had to get there before 5 as they do not stay open later in the off-season, only til about 8 or so after Easter (not sure of exact hours).

We were not disappointed. We had some of the tastiest and freshest food of our trip, and with a surprising bit of flair for the area. Stir fried vegetables with chicken and rice; side salads; well-prepared meat with hand-cut chips; berry crumble, cheesecake, wine. Very friendly staff, numerous locals enjoying the food and hospitality, or coming in for take-away. The restaurant is on the main highway in a small mall. Not much on amenities or ambience inside, but definitely stop in for the food.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is a really great place to eat, and I would definitely recommend it. Although it is slightly off the beaten track, this little bistro is well worth the distance. The menu is good and offers real variety, from sandwiches/paninis, to pasta, fish pie and home made burgers. I opted for the burger, which was served with a side salad and a bowl of fries. My boyfriend had smoked cod, and it was a huge portion of food, which tasted gorgeous. There was also a lovely tomato salsa dipping sauce. For dessert, the pavlova looked and tasted amazing, as did the honeycomb cheesecake. The pricing is very reasonable, especially for the quality of the food. This is a real home cooking style bistro which is probably best suited for sunday lunches and family get to gethers.

1  Thank IndianaDee
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Forget your fancy restaurants with pretentious dishes & over-pricing, this bistro/restaurant is fabulous.
Which is weird because you'd never think so as you almost drive past it on the N2 to Dublin, just outside Navan. It looks like a Truck-stop (nothing wrong there, I've had plenty of great meals at Truckstops) but isn't all that enticing to begin with.

However, once in, the restaurant is spacious, well decorated & comfortable.
We went at 5 on a Monday afternoon, having just been to Newgrange for the day.
The waiter/manager was properly friendly & accommodating & we proceeded with a range of meals. I had a roast rib of beef which was beautifully presented, with huge slices of tender & tasty meat & expertly cooked vegetables & the missus had the most wonderful smoked cod in a pot I've ever tasted... The girls, both teenagers had a homemade burger & hand-cut fries & a chicken Ceasar salad.
We were all delighted with our main courses & just as much so with the sweets, chocholate brownie & ice-cream, gorgeous cheesecake & a mixed berry crumble.
I polished this off with really good coffee.
Loads of great grub, excellent & clean facilities & professional & friendly host. All for less than € 60. Brilliant. Eat at this place if you are anywhere near here & you won't be disappointed.

3  Thank WaterfordMagnum
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Visited twice in the same day! Had an appointment close by in the morning, and arrived early. This seemed to be the only place serving breakfast at 8:30! The place was not busy, but a few people around. I was served quickly, and offered a choice of egg. I chose the poached egg, which arrived very quickly with the rest of a traditional Irish breakfast, and homemade soda bread. The poached egg was perfection :) Coffee was good, and with free refills. All in all a very satisfying feast for a very reasonable 8.90. I was back for lunch, and even though the breakfast menu was over for the day, my lunch colleague was served his choice of the full Irish, while I enjoyed the Cajun chicken pasta (not too hot, but a nice 'kick'). Yet more coffee and a free refill! The service was excellent, the chef superb. Both meals could not be faulted.

1  Thank Murray M