“Wedding Anniversary Weekend Away”
Review of Newgrange Hotel

Newgrange Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Navan
Carlow
“Wedding Anniversary Weekend Away”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We chose to stay in the Newgrange Hotel as it was close to Dublin, but also close to my parents in Cavan who where minding our children for the weekend. When we arrived on Friday the receptionist politely asked was it a romantic weekend away as we informed her it was a 'child free weekend' when we told her it was our wedding anniversary we congratulated us, gave us our keycard and said nothing else. When we arrived at our room we realised that we had been upgraded to the Bridal Suite.

The Bridal Suite has an amazing jacuzzi bath that fits two comfortably !! I would be quite fussy about hotel bathrooms, but I can honestly say it was immaculate. The same with hotel beds. It was turned down perfect and the sheets were spotless and crisp. There was beautiful fresh fruit on arrival and the bed was so comfortable.

Dinner .. we decided to have dinner in the bar that night with a few drinks. I had the burger and my husband had the chicken and both of which were divine. I asked could have have the cheese on the side of the burger, no cucumber in the salad and the dressing on the side and the reaction was 'of course, absolutely no problems'. I in no way felt like I was putting them out. We had one or five cocktails throughout the night which went down a bit too well and the music was brilliant.

The bar staff as we were sitting at the bar in no way plagued us to keep filling up our drinks, but did keep an eye on us and ensure we were OK. I would have to say a particular thank you to Stephen the bar man as he was very good at his job.

Breakfast was a huge buffet of fresh fruit, croissants, buns, scones and cereals along with a full Irish which we demolised. We then went shopping around Navan which we did not realise have all the shops you could want or need.

That night we had dinner in the restaurant which was already dealing with 3 large parties, but did not keep us waiting even with the large amount of people in the restaurant. Starters were great and delivered very promtply. I had the fish and my husband had the steak which was cooked exactly how we asked for it and as for the garlic potatoes WOW !! We were too stuffed for dessert and opted for an Irish and Bailey's coffee instead. We got to finish our wine and in now way felt like we were being kicked out to make room for the next couple coming in.

What I liked the most is that the hotel has and country style charm. We didn't want to go to one of the contemporary hotels that is decorated in golds and purple. We wanted a hotel that made you feel welcome and The Newgrange Hotel did that. I would recommend it to anyone and we will be back. What I loved was the manager on the morning we were leaving was in the middle of getting the banquet halls (if that is the right name) ready for the wedding fair that afternoon and I asked could I have a quick peek before I left and she had no problems taking time out to show me how the had set up the top table and two other tables in different colours to show you what it would / could look like. I also got shown if you were having you wedding ceremony there the room where you would get married and it made me want to get married again. The twinkling lights and flower and red carpet and how all the chairs were decorated.

I would recommend this hotel again to anyone, and we will be back... Thank you for making our weekend so very very memorable and special for us.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Laura C, Front Office Manager at Newgrange Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear kavanaghc
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments. I will be sure to pass them on to everyone here at the Newgrange. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Newgrange very soon.
Kindest Regards
Laura Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Reviewed 10 May 2012 via mobile

I have been staying here on and off for many years and to be fair the prices have tumbled but there are rough edges to all areas in your room old chairs a bit frayed wall paper peeling and apart from breakfast where (apart from hard chewy bacon ) the service and selection is first class ,however the evening staff really don't care although they go through the motions and the food is awfull just awfull chicken only half cooked and when you mention this there is never any sorry just "oh dear we will not charge you " I left a letter on my list visit for the manager but never ever heard anything shame really' I have been stopping here for years and have brought lots of custom too

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Derek

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. I hope you will return to us soon and will see we have made improvement in many areas.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This was the 3rd time we have stayed at this hotel. On a 3 night stay on Golden Breaks package. Top class accommodation, service and food which is a credit to all the staff at the Hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Laura C, Front Office Manager at Newgrange Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Mal1939,
Thank you for your lovely comments following you recent stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I will pass your feedback to the staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Newgrange again soon.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 April 2012

receptionists and bar staff were very nice,location excellent middle of navan town with some
nice bars nearby.had bar food which was excellent (fillet steak)breakfast was fit for a king.
p.s. thats why i stay there regularly

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Michael
I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay again with us. We pride ourselves on the high standards of our breakfast and we are known in the area for having an extensive buffet so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. We hope to see you again soon.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Partner and I stayed one night over Easter. After getting car parked-not the easiest at first, we were warmly welcomed. Room was very good; clean,tidy and bright; everything there a that reasonable traveller would expect. The staff were pleasant and helpful. One barman returned money to me that I had dropped at bar. I took the mixed grill at dinner time in the bar. Absolutely super. I was able to sit in bar and watch my team on live TV. Had a quiet night and got up in morning for a walk round Navan. Weather was unpleasant to say the least but Navan is a good centre for doing things. We easily visited the Boyne Centre, Kells town and Hill of Tara. All in all, a good deal and a good stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Laura C, Front Office Manager at Newgrange Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Comp21,
Thank you for your comments and feedback following your stay at Newgrange Hotel. I am delighted that you experienced friendly and helpful staff throughout the hotel and that you enjoyed our food and facilities. We hope to see you again soon.
Front Office Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 April 2012

On the upside:

nice staff, chef in the kitchen who's making an effort with the food, central to Navan, night club down stairs (if you came to party), lovely bibliotheque/reading space on the ground floor, free covered car park, cheap packages for several nights and meal, free usage of water facilities in the Knightsbrook hotel, a 15 minutes drive away.

On the downside:

night club downstairs (if you came with kids to relax), room cleanliness (found old cup covers under the bed)

Conclusion:

a very friendly staff made our stay nice. I came with wife and kid, and when I realised that there is a night club down stairs, I asked to be placed in a quieter room, which happened. I would come back.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top seem to be the quietest. Ask the staff, they'll help.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fredericmeyer
Dear Mr Meyer
Many thanks for your recent review following your stay with us here in the Newgrange Hotel. We're delighted you found our staff to be helpful and that you enjoyed the hotel amenities. My apologies that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. Thanks to your feedback we can strive to maintain the high standards on which we have built our reputation.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Newgrange again in the future.
Front Office Manager
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

stayed here for 2 nights was quite good, i just thought our room was to dear, the staff very friendly, the room was clean,and quite quiet, the only bad point there was young ones down hall and they fought most of the night after drinking, so they should watch who they book in.We had breakfast on sunday it was not great as was all pre made asked for fresh fried egg and waitress walked into kitchen and returned with another pre-cooked egg she was not to happy being asked to do this,they could do with more staff on at busy times, the breakfast area had lots of dirty tables when we came down the waitress told us to just sit up there and no clean tables. Had dinner Saturday night was good only fault was the chips they were frozen!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marienewry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Navan
Ardboyne Hotel
Trim Castle Hotel
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
#1 of 3 in Ashbourne

Been to Newgrange Hotel? Share your experiences!