Bellinter House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Newgrange Hotel(Navan)(Great Value!)
US$181
US$175
Hotels.com
Hamlet Court Hotel(Enfield)(Great Value!)
US$99
The Johnstown Estate Hotel & Spa(Enfield)(Great Value!)
US$254
US$141
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewseden restaurantdrawing roomhot tubrelaxation roomeast wingspa treatmentssteam roomseaweed bathcopper bathafternoon teaeggs benedicttea cakesrelaxing weekendteacakesmain buildingvoya productsnext morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed here with my partner for my 30th Birthday and it was nothing but unpleasant. Having found the hotel online, I was drawn to the room with the copper bath. I emailed reservations and specifically requested that room, was duly promised that room and so made the booking.
Upon check-in , I was told that the room had been closed for renovations (despite only two weeks before being told that the room was available?). We were “upgraded” to the Main House, to room 1 at the top of the stairs. The reality was that they had one family staying in the Main House and it would have been too much effort and cost to let us stay in the room we had booked in the "stables".

I am a very big fan of old country houses but this hotel just took the biscuit. The stairs looks like its about to fall down, its all collapsed on one side and creaks to high heaven. If you want to lie in in the mornings, beware that every single guest staying upstairs must pass by your door and proceed down the long and winding creaking staircase. It is unbearable.

The windows in the room had big gaps between the panes of glass and their frames resulting in a breeze blowing through the room which was not very comfortable.

The shower cubicle leaked all over the floor and the bathrooms seemed bare in the cavernous sized room.

The information in the hotel guide provided in the room was wildly out of date referring to touch screen remote controls and mood lighting. The TV wasn’t working properly. The DVD player that was in the room was also smashed to bits, so we had to ask for another one.

The Spa receptionist was nice and friendly but the rest of the Spa was filthy. The windows were very dirty, the treatment rooms were littered in cob webs and needed a very good dust and scrub down.

The food was tasty and high quality. The staff made an effort to surprise me with my dessert decorated with Happy Birthday.

I was bitterly disappointed with this hotel and the service they offer. It really is only a 2 star hotel.
I let the hotel know my concerns and after much chasing, I received a response stating that the present owners had bought the hotel from a receiver and that the state of disrepair of the house should have been expected by me because of its age!

I will never again stay here. I would advise anybody else not to stay here. For 550 euro I expect a 5 Star treatment, unfortunately this hotel barely scrapes a 2 star rating. Avoid it at all costs.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel or if you do, avoid Room 1 in the main house!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Conor O
Bellinter, General Manager at Bellinter House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Conor O,
I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with your stay with us at Bellinter House. I am pleased to note that since your visit with us in 2012 there have been some general maintenance and cosmetic improvements to the House over the past year but the structure of our Main House does and will remain the same. The original staircase and original Georgian windows from the 18th Century are thankfully still in tact in our Main House Georgian Rooms and I can gladly confirm that neither are falling down. This Main House Room is our Bridal Suite, hence such a large bathroom but I can understand that this, intertwined with our modern infusion of the Mood lighting and integrated DVD players may not be to everyone's taste. I am sorry to hear that you won't return as maybe the Ruin Wing would have suited you but as mentioned to you, the shower was out of order on that day and we do not like to knowingly give our guests an experience in a room unless everything is in working order. Apologies again that we did not give you the experience that our guests are accustomed to.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We just came back from a weekend at the Bellinter House, that was recommended to us by a friend. Saying that I will never ever go back there is not enough! The price is way too high for the type of leisure facility and SPA. Both are outside the main house, meaning that if it's freezing cold like last saturday it's not the most pleasant experience ever. The pool is cold and quite dirty, the steam room does not have steam and we got burnt when pouring the water in the sauna tank, because instead of the wooden water bin and wooden spoon they have a plastic watering can, which you can fill with water through the shower!
In the room the TV was not working properly, there was a thick black line covering the screen and no remote control. When we went to give the feedback and request the remote we were answered that well, if the tv was not working it was not worth it having a remote! (instead of fixing the tv or moving us!).
The food...well, I wrote a week before my stay that I had food limitations. I don't want to be the kind of person that just goes and bothers, and that's why I wrote an email, a note in the reservation and repeated at my arrival. Of course they didn't have anything for me, and that meant I was starving the whole weekend, since the house has no other restaurant/shops nearby. I was treated like a pain and I'm so angry that I spent most than 400 euros in a one night stay horrible place. I'm quite a traveller, I lived in different countries and also stayed in not really comfortable places, but I never ever had such a bad experience.

Room Tip: If you want to have a good room and a good stay, just go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Comelecalze

Dear Comelecalze,
I am disappointed to hear about your experience with us at Bellinter. The House was built in 1750 and as a protected building, modern conversions could only be made to separate buildings,hence our Spa & Leisure facilities are located off a small courtyard from the Main House but this can be connected via The West Wing. While we did receive your requests for a Vegan Menu I'm sorry that the options we had did not satisfy your requirements. Our Chefs welcome any suggestions and would strive to create any dishes that are not on our menu.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We recently stayed here with our two little girls and my sister. We stayed in the stables which had plenty of room for all of us to be comfortable. Food was great and staff were lovely and genuinely friendly without being "grovelly". Great pool and beautiful setting on lovely grounds and plenty to do nearby.

Room Tip: very comfy bed
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had Sunday lunch here and all 4 of us agreed the cooking and presentation of our meal was very high standard.
There is an eclectic choice on the menu which is a breath of fresh air- no bog standard roast and two veg! loved the starters quite imaginative.
There is a good drinks and wine list and not over priced.
The room has a vaulted ceiling and the warm colours in the plush carpet give it a cosy feel.
On our visit the room was occupied by a number of guests including families with young well behaved children.

All in all a very enjoyable experience in a lovely setting.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We recently stayed here using a voucher given to me by a friend. I had slight reservations about our stay as some of the reviews I had read were less than complimentary. I must say we had a positive experience at Bellinter House. The staff everywhere were very friendly and helpful. We were staying in The Stables and were surprised to find we had a very spacious bedroom, bathroom and sitting room. The bed was huge and comfy and lovely little killer jars of tea, coffee and teacakes in the room. Certainly it wasn't 5* luxury, the floorboards and walls were uneven, the windows small, but our room was clean, cosy and quaint. I think The Stables would be perfect if staying in a group. The restaurant was excellent. Food was fresh, flavoursome and well presented (and not too expensive). I highly recommend the chocolate soufflé for dessert, delicious! Breakfast was also really tasty. The homemade wheaten bread and apple chutney were yummy. All cooked breakfasts were made to order, unlike some other hotels which offer a canteen style breakfast. The pool facilities were also good.
To be critical, I do agree with some comments regarding the decor. It was certainly mismatched. Several of the rooms had paper wall lights in the shape of animal heads! They neither matched nor fitted in with the general theme of the room...anyway, this had no bearing on our stay and we enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple