“Overnight stay”
Review of The Failte B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Slane
The Failte B&B
Ranked #2 of 7 Slane B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Overnight stay”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I booked three rooms in January 2012 for the following mid August for one night - a twin and two doubles and requested a cot which was provided. We had a family wedding at the Mill House in Slane and the Failte B. & B. was within walking distance, but in the end we took the car down to the Mill House. We paid €35 each with no charge for the cot.
Our hostess telephoned me a fortnight before the wedding to re-confirm the booking.
We had a little trouble in finding the B. & B. initially as we thought it was on the main street ahead, while it was down the road on the left, coming from Dublin, in a modern estate.
Our hostess was there and showed us the rooms, which were bright and clean, and gave us a key to our room. The front door would be unlocked. As we were running late we just had time to throw on our glad rags and head for the wedding.
There was parking outside when we returned after midnight and we slept well.
Next morning we had breakfast around 10 a.m. which was prepared when we got to the table. Plenty of cereals and juice and choice of toast and brown bread, etc. There was even some fruit.
We just had time after breakfast to fit in a trip to the interperative centre at Newgrange before heading for the airport to leave one of my relations there for their flight back to U.K., and then head back to Dublin for the luncheon after the wedding at the bride's parent's house.
We found it a friendly place and enjoyed our short stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Carnmoney, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Failte.... 'Welcome'.... I never got one. Booked in for 4 nights, ended up staying just one. That was more than enough, was very glad to leave. Will never go back. 'Bad experience' is an understatement. No host on arrival, no explanation given. No host that evening, only a 'friend'. 'Friend' 'left for home' around midnight. "Will Trish (the host) be back tonight?" I asked. "She will be here soon" was the response. Did Trish arrive home, or was I alone in that house all night? No idea, but I barricaded the bedroom door. Still no Trish when I went down for breakfast, just another 'friend'. Trish finally appeared whilst I was eating my breakfast. No hello, no apologies for her absence, just a short 'Sor'y' as she brushed past me to sit down in the room and strike up a phone conversation. And that was that. As I sat there eating breakfast, thinking of the comforts of my lovely, welcoming home, I decided that I had had enough. I was going home. I packed up my things and paid the 'friend' the money to cover one night. Trish was nowhere to be seen. On my walks around Slane, I came across the gorgeous Conyngham Arms Hotel. I will stay there in future, when I want to hike the countryside. My experience at Failte B&B was unnerving to say the least. I rather think there was something up with Trish, some unforeseen circumstance. A simple explanation of her absence would have made things right. But she made no effort to engage with me, her paying guest. Ah well Failte, you made me appreciate home all the more. My score for you? 0/100. And thanks but no thanks, some petty, rambling excuse over trip advisor will not do. Too little too late.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank MayFairQueenBaby
kubistar, Owner at The Failte B&B, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Regrettably, the only thing "petty and rambling" here is the customer's own review itself. It is most unfortunate that this review fails completely to address his stay with us. Not a word is said about our B&B: not the quality of his room, not the quality of our facility, not the quality of his breakfast, indeed nothing about the fact that we were open at all during Christmas week. What is complained of is that the owner was not available to hold the customer's hand and chat with him during his stay. Perhaps what this customer needed was a nursery instead of a B&B, with someone available to bring him warm milk and cookies and tuck him in at night. I will make no apologies for assigning my assistant to look after his needs whilst I attended to the surprise visit of my son and his fiancee from Australia on Christmas Day preceding his arrival. This review is a personal insult, has nothing to do with our fine property, and has no place whatsoever on the TripAdvisor website. Shame on you, Sir -- shame!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Turn on the street to the library to find Patricia's warm and cozy B&B in Slane. You'll get what you want for breakfast when you want it. Don't pass up the potato bread, great under your eggs, only place we had it in Ireland. The sitting room is a cozy place to meet other travlers.
Easy access to Newgrange and Battle of the Boyne sites.
Patricia saved us a lot of trouble. We were going to go to Dublin the next day, not knowing that the All Ireland Football final was that weekend...NO accomodations to be had in Dublin. She got us into a great place in Dogrovda.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frank M
kubistar, Owner at The Failte B&B, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Thanks very much for a lovely review from a lovely couple from Austin, Texas. We were very pleased to have them and enjoyed the chance to show a little Irish hospitality. The time and effort taken to provide this review and their personal insights is very welcome and much appreciated.
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We travel regularly with our motorhome, but always in the middle of our trips we book into a B&B, so we have visited MANY. Failte (Welcome) is beyond doubt the most homely, relaxed and BEST B&B we have ever stayed. The landlady is an absolute diamond, no problem, no issues. What would YOU like? When do YOU want breakfast, do you want MORE LOL.

The room was superb ensuite, beautifully laid out, bed was brilliant, the en suite has soaps, shampoos and all those wee extras that women like. The room was spotless, the access was great, the parking right at the front door and it is within 2minutes of the village centre for the local eateries and bars. The landlady gave us a "wee note" BRILLIANT touch, so the wife and I got FREE pint of Guinness in one of the local bars, how is that for kindness, courtesy and service.

I cannot speak highly enough of this place, and as "experienced" travellers, I tell you, you wont be disappointed.
ps
The sausages and bacon are to die for YUM YUM.
See you soon Failte.

Room Tip: If you are looking for upmarket, over priced accomodation then Failte is not for you. It is great se...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank rabt1952
kubistar, Owner at The Failte B&B, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
It was great fun to have this lovely Scottish couple with us and we thank them for this review. We always appreciate compliments -- and these were the best! We're delighted that you had a chance to sample a wee bit of Irish hospitality and we look forward to being on your list for the next time you ramble over this way. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others -- we know that it always means a lot. And safe travels in your motorhome as you tour Ireland!
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Having found the Conyngham Arms in Slane to be rather over budget, we followed the Rough Guide’s advice and found The Failte B&B a few 100m away. On the door of the B&B was a scrappy sign saying ring next door for assistance, so we did. A young lad appeared and showed us a room. However, he was very unsure of himself, didn’t know the price of the room, or the key to the wireless network. The room was small but clean so we took the chance. We were given a key to the room, but not the front door, which remained unlocked all the time.

Having eaten well at said Conyngham Arms – for a very normal price – we returned to find another lad who did know the network key – and it worked.

After a good night’s sleep we turned up next morning in the main house at the agreed time for breakfast. However, we were asked to wait a few minutes as our hostess, whom we now met for the first time, was getting her 11month old grandchild ready. Once she appeared, a decent (full Irish) breakfast was then produced in what was obviously the family dining room/lounge. Having served us she then joined us in the room with baby to eat her breakfast, and feed the youngster.
At only €60 it was an OK if rather unusual B&B experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Altraveller
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 6 September 2012

You can't say enough about the location, hospitality of Patricia, and the service at this B&B. From the moment I booked Patricia went out of her way to make sure I was comfortable and gave me great advice about things to do about the area. The room was extremely clean with a very comfortable bed, shower and toilet with all the amenities, even a TV. Patricia gave me a voucher for a free drink at one of the local pubs, and even gave me a lift the next morning to help me meet up with friends in the area! It's located only a 100 meters or so from the center of town, and is within walking distance of virtually everything you could want to do in the area. The people of Slane are of the friendliest sort, and this B&B continues that tradition.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Keegan P
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Patricia was a great hostess, and we really enjoyed our time at her guest house. Our room was very comfortable, everything was very clean. There was even a coffee pot, hairdryer, a small fan, nice tv, and wifi. The wifi was awesome since the roaming fees on our cell phones were something like $1.49 per minute. So, it was great to be able to connect to the internet on our i-pad and cell phones. Slane is very centrally located, We stayed for 4 days. We wanted to be close enough to Dublin, since we spent two days there for the Notre Dame Football game and pep-rally. We drove to a train station about 20 minutes away, and took the train straight in to Dublin, We also did a day trip Galway, about 2.5 hours away, and also to Belfast and the Giant's Causeway, about 1.5 hour drive to Belfast. The highlight of our trip was going to Newgrange and Knowth in the Boyne Valley. This Bed and Breakfast is only a 20 minute drive from the Bra na Bionne visitor center. If you are staying here, definitly put Newgrange on your itinerary! It is an amazing place. Breakfast was included each day. It included a full Irish Breakfast plus orange juice, milk, coffee, tea, cold cereal, fresh fruit, and snacks. Breakfast was offered between 8Am and 10AM, so it was very convenient. My family and I are hoping to return to Ireland sometime in the future, nad we are hoping that Patricia will have room for us!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank bryn m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slane
Conyngham Arms Hotel
College Hill House B&B
Daly's of Donore
Daly's of Donore
#1 of 1 in Donore

Been to The Failte B&B? Share your experiences!