“What a view!”
Review of Rossnaree

Rossnaree
Ranked #2 of 7 Slane B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I found Rossnaree through the "Hidden Ireland" website and oh, how happy I am that I did. We stayed here only one night, but I'm quite sure Rossnaree would reward a longer stay. The nearby village of Slane offers several places to eat and the sites of the Boyne Valley are a stones throw away.

It's not often that you can speak of hotels or B&Bs in truly superlative terms, but the view from Rossnaree warrants them. The view from our room (River Room) was absolutely lovely, looking out across the Boyne and encompassing both Newgrange and Knowth. I have never had a more memorable view from any room that I have stayed in.

Staying at Rossnaree was a bit like staying with a charming relative who has a lovely old place out in the country. The house is very comfortable if a little bit rough around the edges. Aisling's hospitality was warm and and she served a scrumptious breakfast. As others have noted, she was also very helpful in reserving tickets to see Newgrange. We would likely not have been able to visit the tomb without her help. Oh, did I mention the view?

Room Tip: I'd recommend the River Room (not ensuite) or the Morris Room to take full advantage of the view...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rich A

Reviewed 31 October 2012

2 nights over an October weekend were booked on-line at Rossnaree, after reading Trip Adviser reviews. Left Belfast Friday lunchtime for leisurely drive down to outskirts of Drogheda (junction 10 M1, turned right for Slane Road N5. The driveway for the B and B is on a bad corner of a junction, so recommend turn left at the junction and quick 3 point turn back down the road so that its now possible to drive straight across.
Driving up to the house, we were met by a large Irish Wolf hound and the owner Aisling Law.
Shown to the tastefully decorated William Morris room, this overlooked the Boyne river (fantastic views in the morning with the sun rising on the horizon over Newgrange and mist lying over the river). The room was large as was the bed (very comfortable)
Breakfasts were outstanding, (in the dining room) choice of cereal, toast, cooked meals making for a good start to the day.
Aisling can only be described as outstandingly friendly, ready to help the guests (she had booked an appointment at Newgrange for another a couple staying while we were there ).
Rossnaree is an ideal location while sightseeing in and around the area. Look no further - highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank GAZBOW
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This was our first stop after coming over from Scotland on the ferry. Aisling Law, the prietess who is trying to figure how to keep this giant old house in a superb location going, helped us with our itinerary and served us an extraordinary breakfast. If you've looked at the (expensive) other B&B country houses on historicireland.com, you can stay here at an affordable price. The property is old rather than restored, but completely filled with portraits, antiques and bric-a-brac. You can really get a sense, from its location on a giant estate, what life in an Irish country house must have been like. Green everywhere, and all the rest is sheep.
You can see Newgrange from the back bedroom window (not from the Monkey room, which for some reason we chose) and I was there at sunrise. It had been raining, though, so I just saw the "sunspot" rise into low clouds. Still, I loved it and this was a most worthwhile stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank tico8
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband and I attended a wedding in Slane and booked into Rossnaree for one night.
We arrived with just enough time to change for the wedding and were received very warmly by Aisling who offered us tea and scones.
We came back late that night to a wonderful warm and inviting bedroom, curtains closed bed turned down and lights on.
Next morning we were served breakfast in the wonderful dining room......and what a breakfast!
I knew that the person who cooked the breakfast was a foodie because we had the freshest fruit compote and fresh fruit and muesli followed by Irish breakfast with "real" organic eggs from their own hens. Homemade soda bread with homemade marmalade and raspberry jam to die for. I even tried to buy some from Aisling but she very kindly gave me a pot.
We were served by Ramona at breakfast who is Aislings granddaughter and she was wonderful.
I am coming back because I want to have dinner there and experience the lovely fresh garden produce from their gardens .
I will be back soon, do the lovely walk along the river to the castle and that evening sit with a glass of wine in that beautiful Drawing Room and have dinner with my friends.
Thank you Aisling. Miriam x

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are divine.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Miriam L
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My daughter and I stayed at Rossnaree back in March. I don't write reviews very often, but after seeing the previous review, I feel I must comment on our stay at Rossnaree. It was the first time I had driven in Ireland, and when we left the airport in our rental car, I became so frazzled that I just wanted to get where we were going! As a consequence, we arrived at Rossnaree way before we were expected. Aisling Law could not have been more gracious or accommodating. She fussed over us and served us tea and breakfast while we waited for our room to be ready. The house is old, beautiful and full of charm and character. Our room was lovely and clean with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in (we were in the twin room). Breathtaking views of the Boyne and Newgrange. Ms. Law did have to leave for the night- her mother is elderly and ailing, I believe. She left us in very capable hands with her friend Tara and Tara's darling baby girl. Tara recommended a wonderful place in Slane for dinner. In the morning, Aisling was back early to make us a delicious breakfast. I felt at home during my stay at Rossnaree. An Irish bed and breakfast stay is about so much more than a few cobwebs. It's an experience, an adventure. I can't wait to go back to Rossnaree, and will stay longer next time.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank chguest56
Reviewed 12 July 2011

this was to be a highlight destination for us, at the end of our trip. unfortunately, the owner had a personal emergency and could not be there until late in the second day of our stay. her daughter subbed in as did a women staying on the property but the "manor" house was not clean, the bathroom was not prepped, and we were essentially all alone in this big, cobwebbed, dead fly place where the dishes sat all day long. eventually we haggled and she reduced the price to 50%. we did enjoy the pets and the donkey and horse.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank savvyjoe
Reviewed 11 October 2010

What a special place! Especially if history, mainly Irish history, is at all interesting to you. The house is grand, if a bit faded, but the history within and surrounding the house provide a very special experience. Aisling Law is a wonderful hostess, herself an integral part of that history. The B&B accommodations do not match the elegance of the house, but that matters little if one appreciates the unique nature of this special place.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 2SU
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slane
Conyngham Arms Hotel
#2 of 3 in Slane
Rock Farm Slane
Rock Farm Slane
#1 of 3 in Slane

Been to Rossnaree? Share your experiences!