“Rosnaree is a Magical Place”
Review of Rossnaree

and 1 more site!
Rossnaree
Ranked #3 of 7 Slane B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Rossnaree was in a beautiful setting in the countryside. Its owners and staff were incredibly hospitable, warm people who were able to offer great recommendations on where to go and what to do in the area, and they helped facilitate our plans as well. Aside from the beautiful setting and grounds, the inn is home to many animals; two friendly dogs, a very affectionate cat, geese, chickens/hens and a vary large pig. It was a pleasure to be surrounded by and interact with all of these critters. We found Rossnaree to be a truly magical place and hope to get back to that glorious area of Ireland some day.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Nancy L
There are newer reviews for Rossnaree

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed in Rossnaree House on Tuesday 16th July at the end of tour around Ireland with my wife. It was our last stop before returning to Germany. This is my fourth time in Ireland and I come back because I love the people who are open and generous. This summer has been the best of experiences. I have stayed in many different hotels and many guesthouse and bed and breakfast for 3 weeks.
Here is my experience in Rossnaree: I met Aisling the hostess who greeted me and my wife when we arrived. We were shown to our room. The room is luxurious and unusual from anything I have been staying in before because of special features and antiques and beautiful views- it is of a very high standard, very clean, comfortable, old fashioned. We were served fine tea and scones with homemade jam and raspberries from the garden. The atmosphere there is special (and not only because of the sun shining!). In the morning, we had breakfast in the breakfast room, which is the family dining room with historical portraits, a large grand dining room- my wife said it is like from Downton Abbey. The breakfast was the best of the Hidden Ireland houses in which we stayed. It is a family run guesthouse and we met the daughter and grand-daughter playing on the lawn. They are a very friendly and gracious family, and we heard interesting stories about the history of the family and about the valley of kings. Before departing for the airport we sat on a wooden bench on the lawn to look out at New grange and Knowth and the River Boyne. We will remember a special time in Ireland.

It is not a hotel like Marriott or Four Seasons, so maybe you will be disappointed if you expect this. But I have no complaints and just a good experience and would therefore like to recommend Rossnaree to other visitors.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Harald W
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Such an amazingly magical place.

Rossnaree house did not fail to disappoint, we were not looking for a normal place to stay and when we found Rossnaree House on the Hidden Ireland website, a site to find historic private houses to stay in Ireland we knew that this place was going to special.

Before our arrival we had called to see when the best time to visit Newgrange was and Aisling the proprietress offered to call and book us in. We were delighted by this service. Upon arrival we were offered tea & coffee in the opulent drawing room and then we were shown our room, we stayed in the Morris room - just beautifully elegant as if time had stood still. The view was amazing, out over the Boyne valley and there was Newgrange, so close you could almost touch it.
It was the best nights sleep we have had in a long time - so peaceful. The breakfast in the morning was delicious, full Irish cooked to order with lots of fresh produce from the farm and local area. What more could we ask for.

Our stay was fabulous, the peace and quiet was abundant, we spent time wandering around the gardens and chatting to Aisling, who told us about the extensive history of the house and area.

If you are looking for somewhere unique and special to stay then I highly recommend Rossnaree House.

We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The Morris room has an amazing view over to Newgrange and the gardens.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Barker1977_13
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Twenty feet into the driveway and the magic began!!! Rossnaree has an otherworldly feel that seeps inside and warms the heart! Dagda and Rocky greeted us in the way of dogs who live well. Aisling came from tending the organic garden to welcome us to her home and show us to our "Bird Room" which was delightful and oh! so comfy. Within a few hours, I felt as if I was in my own home as we sipped tea by the fire in the drawing room....I was so relaxed!! The house is full of museum quality antiques and sculptures, the grounds are breathtaking and Newgrange may be viewed across the Boyne from the lawn. Breakfast in the magnificent dining room was absolutely delicious and plentiful. Close to Tara, the hill of Slane and the town of Navan. Our two night stay at Rosnaree was the end of our 28 day "Epic journey" through Ireland and it was PERFECT. The joy and love and history will warm any heart open to it. Aisling is one of those rare, unassuming individuals that make our world a much more loving place. We are so fortunate to have been able to step into the world that is Rosnaree. Thank you Aisling!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kay R
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We booked Rossnaree as we were attending a concert at Slane Castle and we were told when booking that it was ideal for Slane as it was just up the road which seemed perfect.

At 150 Euro per night (payable in full in advance) it needed to deliver. The house looked good on the website and it promised to be something special. Our only concern was when we were told that our room was not exactly in the house but in a room 'almost attached to it'.

When we arrived we were shown to our accommodation.... which far from being 'attached' or even 'almost attached' to the main house was actually half a mile down the road, then after following a long dirt track road was actually an out building which had no relevance to Rossnaree and could have belonged to anyone.

The accommodation was a farm house - which was not particularly clean, the carpets were dirty, the bath was filthy and our sheets had stains on them and was in fact shared with 2 other couples with a communal bathroom.

Our bedroom had dead flies in it and a lamp with no bulb. The whole place had the view of an afterthought about it - like some emergency barn accommodation rather than a 150 Euro a night hotel.

Had we not foolishly paid in advance we would have left there and then but we were here for a concert and had no other option.

The owner did, as arranged, kindly take us as near to the castle as possible and dropped us off, but the castle was not a 'short walk' away as had been described, but the best part of an hour's walk back down a single track unlit road.

To top it all, when we got back the only way to reach our accommodation from the main house was to descend a wet and perilous overgrown forest track in complete darkness just using the light from my phone - which was dangerous and totally unacceptable and while bad enough for us would have been treacherous for anyone who had any kind of mobility problems. My partner slipped several times and came close to falling in a stream in the darkness..

Overall, our stay was disappointing and wholly unacceptable and at 150 Euros a night was nothing short of a disgrace. Having read reviews of Rossnaree on here, I am sure that people who have stayed in the main house will have had a better experience, but we headed home feeling miserable, angry and exploited.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LeisureSpy
Rossanree, Owner at Rossnaree, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Dear Guest
I am so sorry you were so unhappy with your stay at the Glenhouse ,In response to your complaints It was made aware to you that the room was not in the mainhouse as we were already full due to the high demand of rooms during the Slane concert weekend ,The rooms were in the Self catering cottage on the Estate And the Glenhouse had been newly decorated and did have a smell of fresh paint , the bath was very clean but obviously old .The sheets were starched clean from my linen company .I had a self service breakfast with fresh croissants delivered in the morning .I also delivered all of our guests to as near to the concert as was possible . All of my guests were told of the distance to the concert and I made sure that all security and gardai were made aware of them staying at Rossnaree
The glen house is a charming country fishing lodge beside the river Boyne overlooking Newgrange and Knowth ,I understand its not everyone s choice ,but one cant please everyone in life I just try my best.
If you had said that you did not like it at the time of viewing I could of returned your money immediately and had someone else on the waiting list occupy the room .
If however you would like to come back to stay at Rossnaree House I would be very happy to offer you 1 nights B+B pro Gratis
Your Sincerely
Aisling Law

Reviewed 7 June 2013

I found Rossnaree through the "Hidden Ireland" website and oh, how happy I am that I did. We stayed here only one night, but I'm quite sure Rossnaree would reward a longer stay. The nearby village of Slane offers several places to eat and the sites of the Boyne Valley are a stones throw away.

It's not often that you can speak of hotels or B&Bs in truly superlative terms, but the view from Rossnaree warrants them. The view from our room (River Room) was absolutely lovely, looking out across the Boyne and encompassing both Newgrange and Knowth. I have never had a more memorable view from any room that I have stayed in.

Staying at Rossnaree was a bit like staying with a charming relative who has a lovely old place out in the country. The house is very comfortable if a little bit rough around the edges. Aisling's hospitality was warm and and she served a scrumptious breakfast. As others have noted, she was also very helpful in reserving tickets to see Newgrange. We would likely not have been able to visit the tomb without her help. Oh, did I mention the view?

Room Tip: I'd recommend the River Room (not ensuite) or the Morris Room to take full advantage of the view...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rich A
Reviewed 31 October 2012

2 nights over an October weekend were booked on-line at Rossnaree, after reading Trip Adviser reviews. Left Belfast Friday lunchtime for leisurely drive down to outskirts of Drogheda (junction 10 M1, turned right for Slane Road N5. The driveway for the B and B is on a bad corner of a junction, so recommend turn left at the junction and quick 3 point turn back down the road so that its now possible to drive straight across.
Driving up to the house, we were met by a large Irish Wolf hound and the owner Aisling Law.
Shown to the tastefully decorated William Morris room, this overlooked the Boyne river (fantastic views in the morning with the sun rising on the horizon over Newgrange and mist lying over the river). The room was large as was the bed (very comfortable)
Breakfasts were outstanding, (in the dining room) choice of cereal, toast, cooked meals making for a good start to the day.
Aisling can only be described as outstandingly friendly, ready to help the guests (she had booked an appointment at Newgrange for another a couple staying while we were there ).
Rossnaree is an ideal location while sightseeing in and around the area. Look no further - highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank GAZBOW
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slane
Conyngham Arms Hotel
College Hill House B&B
Daly's of Donore
Daly's of Donore
#1 of 1 in Donore

Been to Rossnaree? Share your experiences!