“A little gem!”

Conyngham Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Slane
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Ate a really lovely meal in the Conyngham Arms last night. A surprisingly good meal for 2. As late when we arrived decided to go straight for a main course and skip the starter, Although a good choice available. Good choice of mains on the menu too, lots of fish choice, chicken and meat as well as a vegetarian option. Choose the Corn fed chicken with a lightly flavoured garlic jus. For himself, haddock served with crushed potatoes. Both very good and well priced at 15-16 euro. Finished with a dessert to share!!. Couldn't choose between the cappuchino baked cheesecake with caramel ice cream or the poached pear warm tart. Asked the chef to plate up his favourite and surprise us...the chef kindly served a half portion of each. Both delicious but the caramel ice ream was fabulous. 2 mains, dessert, 2 pints, soft drink and tea came to just shy of 50 euro. Excellent value. A really lovely evening, very pleasant surroundings, friendly and helpful staff. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeeCee2912

Reviewed 15 November 2013

My sister and I had an overnight stay at this hotel. I can honestly say that we had a really nice time. The staff are happy, engaging and altogether delightful. Our twin-bedded room was warm, comfortable and, I, personally, felt that I was in a high-class house in Provincial France with the decor, old-style furniture, exquisite curtains/cushions etc.! I loved it. My sister, more used to "mod. hotels", took a little time to come to terms with the old-fashioned beds etc. and then she loved it too. (She especially loved the French Sampler (on the Landing table) with her own Initial!). Our en suite was top modern, lashings of hot water, plenty of towels, bathrobes, tissues, cotton buds etc. and Handmade Soap - 'Grapefruit & Irish Moss' - no less! Everything was spotless there. We enjoyed some tea/coffee in the bedroom and the small shortbread biscuits which were kept clean and fresh in a little Kilner-type jar. The RASPBERRY JAM is also served in similar type jars....I have to mentiion it again in capital letters - the RASPBERRY JAM!!! Heavenly - they make it themselves - unbelievable, with their scones and cream. I told them....so they know that I fell for it hook, line and sinker!

We ordered dinner and the girl said she'd put us at the table near the lovely glowing fire, and, true to her word, when we arrived down everything was waiting for us. We had a great meal, varied selection and nice fresh vegetables. The soup was special too. Next morning we had a wonderful breakfast in a different room - freshly cooked to order - and freshly squeezed orange juice. There was an excellent selection of cereals, fruits, breads, ham, cheese etc. and a toaster so that you could have good hot toast, and plenty of tea or coffee.

As promised on our Deal, our Slane Bake Gift Bag awaited us in the bedroom...not a little plastic iota...but a pretty blue/white beribboned carry-bag which contained brown bread, a pot of jam and biscuits. Thank you so much.

We had evinced an interest in the big sister - Tankardstown House - and one of the girls said it would be well worth a visit before we left the area. We drove out there but to no avail unfortunately, as only Residents could enter the house by keying in their details at the gate. Further along that road was the Restaurant but we drew a blank there also, as apparently it only opens for the latter half of the week and from mid-day onwards. We've decided to stick with the loving "Arms" of Conyngham, and look forward to visiting again...and again, we hope.
Incidentally, their new window-boxes are colourful and delightful - just the job approaching Christmas. Keep up the good work and compliments to the staff and chef.

Room Tip: Back rooms quieter as artics (lorries, to me!) pass from early morning and may upset light sleepers...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank judyjoycethejoker
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Well, we were received with a smile and that was only the begining. All the staff we came in contact with we're just so friendly and accommadating.
The room was Devine. If I could have fitted the room in my case I would have transported it home.... and the food was scrumptious.
We were off to their sister hotel Tankardstown for a wedding so didn't get to laze around but really worth coming back to do so.
These guys really know what they are doing!
Thanks for a memorable stay...

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here for one night recently when we were attending a wedding in tankardstown. Beautiful room, clean & comfortable with lovely decor. Had lunch after checking in which was delicious & breakfast was excellent. Great choice & I can recommend the pancakes!

1  Thank carojames
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for only one night and didn't really have any expectations. The day we arrived was wet and miserable so we didn't wander far from the hotel. The hotel itself is small but really makes the most of the space. Colour-scheme and furnishings are extremely pretty, unique and calming. Our room, while small, had a quaint 4-poster bed. In the room, some of the lovely features were: fabulous pillows/cushions covering the bed, goodie bag of home baked treats, very nice toiletries in the bathroom (I've since ordered some online and they're not cheap!). I'd love to have seen some other rooms as I would imagine they are all different. We had dinner in the restaurant and we were both happy with our choices. The breakfast was a highlight for me as the breakfast room was so pretty with many different chairs, sofas etc. I could have spent the day there. And the breakfast food was as good as I've had anywhere with so much choice and everything was particularly fresh - much more than the usual small selection of fruit, bread & fry. The village is quite small so not much to do without driving but there's a great little pub/music venue a few doors away called Boyle's. All-in-all, a very pleasant surprise and perfect for a relaxing night away if you like good food and appreciate all the little extras.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for one of the larger, brighter rooms.
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Well I came to visit the Conyngham Arms hotel for the first time (since it reopen) been living in LA and came home 2 weeks ago for a visit last week and have to say first impression hotel is stunning delight to see the small village of slane with a hotel opened but service was almost below par. I was left waiting with my elderly grand mother but as it was slightly busy I wasn't to bother but this young boy no more than 10 offered my grand mother his chair till we were seat. then the girl that seated use you can tell she didn't want to be working she wanted to be somewhere. then she literally snapped menu out of grand mothers hand then waited a real long time for soup and bread we did.. which bread was tasty and but soup on other hand wasn't as nice as i was told. both grand mother and mine soup was burnt and ask the girl to bring it back same soup came out with by the looks of it with just added salt to kill taste. and we didn't finish left asked for bill surprised with the total E35 shocked and we were charged for 2 soups and 2 drinks. only drink we had was my grandmother glass of water from tap. charge 2.50 (tap water is free till 2015) wasn't to please!!! won't be coming back. We went to Navan had proper food in Newgrange Hotel and we were not charged for tap water

Room Tip: I will not be back that for sure.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ryan C
tconroy, Owner at Conyngham Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Good Evening Ryan

I have been trying to contact after you have posted 2 reviews, one on Facebook and the other on TripAdvisor, unfortunately I have not heard back from you.

I am surprised and confused by your review as we do not charge for tap water nor ever have done since we opened....it is offered complimentary to all our guests. Our soup is home made every day and is kept warm in a soup kettle - this is to ensure that it holds perfectly all day.

You mention that you were charged E35 - 2 soups and complimentary water would cost E10.

Yours sincerely

Patricia Conroy

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Myself and Mark booked our wedding with Gillian in the Conyngham Arms early January 2013. Ever since we booked the wedding, we felt at ease, as all the staff have been friendly and accommodating. Mark and I got married last Friday 27th September 2013, the hotel looked wonderful and the food was fabulous. Most importantly the staff were excellent, I would go back in a heartbeat for any function. We thoroughly enjoyed the day, the garden was beautiful in the sun and the Lavender Suite was so pretty.
Thank you to Gillian, Carol, Maria, Michelle and all the staff, you made our day even more special.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AMKirwan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slane
Tankardstown
Westcourt Hotel
#2 of 5 in Drogheda
Trim Castle Hotel
Scholars Townhouse Hotel

Been to Conyngham Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!