“campsite only review”

Slane Farm Hostel
County Galway, Ireland
“campsite only review”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Visited June Bank Holiday weekend and stayed for 3 nights with a voucher from Groupon. When I rang to make the booking the girl who was foreign and had trouble understanding my English seemed most confused. I asked if there was electric hook up for tents which I was prepared to pay on top of the voucher value. Was told there was electric hook up avaialble. Upon arrival I was told where to park the car, and p[itch the tent. It was up a farm track adjacent to the hostel. It was a farm track and NOT a road, and full of pot holes and being honest, I didnt like driving my car even the short distance up it. The electric hook ups were all together on an electric board bolted to a farm building, situated on a gravel area. Total unsuitable for pitching tents, and if I had been in a caravan or camper I would have been disappointed at the location, it was like being in a car park, compared to the lovely area where I eventually pitched my tent. Despite my very long electric hook up wire there was no way I was going to be able to have the electric supply to my tent as I had been assured of. The tent area is lovely, in the farmhouse garden and there are raised beds and a hen house from which you were allowed to help yourselves. The campers kitchen is seperate from the hostel kitchen and was absolutely FILTHY! The draining board was full of rinsed pots (there was no hot water in to the kitchen in the three days I was there) I dont think this is very hygenic, the pots not getting properly washed. There was odd assortments of cutlery, very few cooking tools. There was a four pan hob on top of which was a lime scaled kettle and a frying pan full of oil and other peoples cooking. The electric kettle was full of limescale and there was a microwave that was without its glass plate hence it was very difficult to microwave anything properly. all of these were connected to a extension lead, that dangle haphazardly over a stool. There were two fridges to use, (no freezer compartment). The table in the kitchen area was also filthy and rubbish was over flowing from the ridiculously small pedal bin (bathroom size) for a campsite?????
The shower/toilet block were draughty freezing add ons to a farm building. There was not always toilet paper, the taps leaked and needed maintaining the mirrors above the sink were so worn by the elements that you couldnt really see yourself properly! There was NO HOT WATER in the whole time I was there. The owner said the gas had ran out and she would see to it.....but still NO HOT WATER! the water is on a push in tap system, 30 second blasts if you can bear to brave the cold water!
There is wifi in the main house, however there seems to be some sort of problem with campers accessing the lounge area of the hostel in order to use the wifi. So wifi is a debatable subject.
There is a well groomed male yorkshire terrier called Coco allowed to raom the campsite. Which is fine if you like dogs, if you dont be aware he jumps up all the time, begs for food around the tent, is in the kitchen, sitting on chairs, and walking oon top of the picnic tables. On a positive note the campsite is set in beautiful surroundings and well located for the sights of County Meath. We also popped into the North visiting Newry which was only half an hour away. If this campsite was cleaner and better maintained I wouldnt hesitate to recommends it. I was happy to pay e24 for my Groupon voucher which entitled two people to three nights camping (normal price E10 a person per night) Had I paid the normal price of E60 I would be furious!!

Room Tip: dont expect electric hook up unless you want to pitch up on rough carpark style gravel, near the ele...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
gemma m, Manager at Slane Farm Hostel, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
I was shocked and sadened to recieved such a review from you. I have never had such a bad rating. This was the only complaint I recieved since opening the camp site for business this year. The June Bank holiday was exceptionally sucessfuly and busy as we also had the walking festival. The camp site had campers in all weekend and then on the Sunday approx 100 people passed through for teas and coffees. Thank you for bring these points to my attention. You are the only person who had a problem with the camp site but I will be sure to make sure this never happends again and personally approach every point you have made above. Thanks. Slane Farm Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Czech first
Germany
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This is a lovely campsite located just 500m from Slane Castle. Good amenities with kitchen, common room and free wifi. Camping €10 per person. Free vegetables from the garden and eggs from the hens! Very good value.

• Stayed June 2013
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here with friends in our campervan. Probably the friendliest welcome we have ever had in years of touring. Beautiful countryside setting in total peace and quiet amongst the ducks and clucking hens.Facilities are rustic and spotless. A little gem. Many attractions nearby like newgrange and the Boyne battlefield visitors centre. Co meath is actually quite underrated. Lots of history and places to visit. Will definitely be back.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brian j
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I loved my stay here, although my husband and i stayed here for one night i would love to go back and stay longer, we rented a cottage which was very quaint, it was one of many placed in a converted barn but they are of very high standard and the rooms made you feel as if you were in an actual cottage. the rooms had good pots pans oven etc however we didn't use the kettles or tea pots for hot water due to the lime scale and rust in these, tea and coffee were provided as well. the staff were lovely as well, gave us directions into navan or local slane village but recommended navan for food shop as it is cheaper. you are surrounded by fields and the area is very tranquil, although the cottages are next to a main road so walking around can be a little dangerous as there are no paths. However it is a stones throw away from slane castle which was very handy. Be warned tho, coco the little terrier can be quite excitable and jump up on you, i loved him but for those that dont like small dogs, he can creep up on you out of nowhere.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Stayed at Slane Farm Hostel for one night when attending a wedding in Tankardstown. From start to finish our stay was perfect. We were greeted by the daughter of the owners and she was so nice and friendly and showed us to our room. She even gave us a lift up to the hotel. Can't get better service than that, well actually it continued. The cottage we stayed in had two very large rooms, one with twin beds and the other had a double and a single bed. The bathroom was really spacious and it even had toiletries supplied. The kitchen was fully kitted out and even had a really fancy coffee machine and coffee so I was particular happy about this. We woke the following morning to a lovely basket of goodies in our living room; freshly made brown bread, orange juice, fresh eggs from the farm, butter and marmalade. So we had a lovely big feed before we set off, on checking out we complimented the lovely free range eggs and were given a half dozen to take home with us. In my books it doesn't get much better, tankardstown watch out Slane farm is on the rise! ;-) How anybody could give this place a rating other than awesome, I don't understand.

Room Tip: Great price, suit groups, fully equipped
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank littlemano
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Our experience started when making our reservation. Gemma was so friendly. I instantly knew that we were in for a treat. Upon arriving we were welcomed when getting out of our car and shown to the most amazing rooms I've stayed in for a long time. We stayed in the cottages. Cute, spacious and clean, we had a kitchen/living room with separate bedroom and bathroom. Everything we needed was there, kettle, mugs, toiletries etc. Waking up to the sound of cows mooing was an added bonus of staying in the country. All in all a delight to stay there, friendly service combined with great room. They went above and beyond.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Gateshead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed here last year at the very end of the season with 25 teenagers from England. The welcome was warm, helpful, the place was spotless and so cosy. Its the best venue I have used for groups in over 20 years of youth work residentials. Absolutely first rate.

As soon as I can, i will be bring my family over and sampling the cottages.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slane
Conyngham Arms Hotel
#1 of 3 in Slane
Newgrange Lodge
Newgrange Lodge
#1 of 2 in Donore

Been to Slane Farm Hostel? Share your experiences!