“A room for a princess”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Roscommon
Billings, Montana
“A room for a princess”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I just had to write what a terrific time my husband and I had at the Abbey Hotel when we visited in November 2011. My husband had researched hotels that might be conveniently located for visiting ancient and historical sites. I expected a regular hotel. What a surprise greeted me at the Abbey Hotel! Unbeknownst to me, my husband had booked the Abbey suite (room 21), a very large, charming room, originally built in the 1700s or so, and richly decorated with fine antique furniture, prints, and mirrors from the last century. Deep red floor to ceiling drapes graced the windows, and a canopy bed inspired a sensation of being royalty - I felt like a princess. Not only that, when we gazed out of our windows we saw the ruin of an abbey from the 1200s rising from the mist.

We chose to dine in the hotel, enjoying a huge variety of breakfast delicacies such as a full Irish breakfast, croissants, fruit, yoghurt, etc. The dinners were scrumptious! I looked forward to them all day long.

My romantic husband even arranged to have a dozen roses placed in the room prior to our arrival, a request which the Abbey hotel staff managed perfectly. I was rendered speechless, a very rare event for me.

The bathroom was a jewel unto itself - a marvelously spacious room with luxury fit for a queen, complete with a free-standing claw-footed bath tub, and heavenly-scented soaps.

Room 21 is private, completely quiet, and made me feel like fairly-tale royalty. I enjoyed the room so much I didn’t want to leave it to go sight seeing. I will never forget the great time we had there. I dearly hope to return, the sooner the better. Thank you, Abbey Hotel, for a most enjoyable and cherished stay. I would give this hotel and restaurant the highest five star recommendation for any couple who wished to envelope themselves in the splendour of a romantic, magical era.

Room Tip: We only saw the suite - not the other rooms, and didn't use the leisure center.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew and Oliv... S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
donegal ireland
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We are just back from a wonderful stay at the abbey hotel. It is a lovely hotel the food is spectacular and you always get enough to eat. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The leisure centre is also very clean with great facilities and the water ranges from 1 metre to 1.3 metres to 1.6. The staff in reception are really helpful and also in the bar and would go out of there way to help you also we heard mention about tiles been lifted in the swimming pool area it clearly states that they are under repair and if this ignorant person would open his eyes they would have realised this instead of trying to destroy the hotels reputation !! would definitely visit hotel again but would suggest a little bit of music in the bar. Overall brilliant stay !!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Geraldton, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We had a fantastic weekend in The Abbey... We got a great deal which included 2 nights B&B plus evening meal and massage for €420 total for 2.
The staff of this family run hotel were very welcoming and from the moment we walked through the door until the moment we left we could not fault the hotel... We were upgraded to a suite and the room was a very generous size. The room was decorated in keeping with the style of the hotel which was really lovely. The bed was exceptionally comfortable & the shower was lovely and strong.
The restaurant is Michellin recommended and the meal was superb... I had the duck pate to start and my partner had the scallops & Clonakility black pudding... For main I had the pork belly with apple sauce & scallops-it was absolutely perfect. My partner had the rack of lamb which was cooked perfectly pink :)
The location is only a 10 min walk from Roscommon town where we found a nice restaurant on our second night and two lovely bars... one with an open fire :) We came back to the hotel late last night (about 2.30am!) and had to phone the night porter as the door was locked... This was actually quite quaint... The night porter greeted us with exceptional cheer even at that hour of the morning... I just could not fault the friendliness of the staff....

If I was to complain / comment on anything I would say they should have bottles of water available in the bedroom.

We will be back :)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Just back from a 2 day stay in the hotel. This is a very nice hotel. The staff both in reception, resturant and bar are very friendly. The room was very spacious as was the bath room and was very warm. Overall we had a very nice stay and i would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of staying here.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Really enjoyed my 3 night stay here. Quaint little hotel traditional decor lovely atmosphere and gr8 food!!

• Stayed October 2011
Ireland
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Stayed on Saturday night with family. Hotel was lovely...rooms were good size (double and 2 singles). Staff were very friendly and helpful. Food was excellent. Swimming pool could do with a lift - lots of broken tiles at the edge of pool, mats on the floor in the bottom of pool that were curled up and you'd break a toe on! Would go back again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Dublin
Reviewed 19 September 2011

we have just come back after a 2 night break in the abbey hotel in roscommon a lovely hotel
4 star a nice peaceful place surrounded in its own grounds a 5 minute from town the room
was big and so was the bathroom also very clean the staff were very helpful and friendly
food excellent no problem parking the car a good big car park we will certainly be returning
most enjoyable

Room Tip: we were on the 2nd floor whitch was very quiet
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roscommon
Hannon's Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,985 reviews
Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!