“very friendly,comfortable place to stay”
Review of Abbey Hotel

Abbey Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Roscommon
Saundersfoot
“very friendly,comfortable place to stay”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Spent a magical weekend at this hotel,staff are so friendly and helpful,the hotel clean comfortable,just felt like being at home.There was a wedding on whilst we were there,and we were invited to join in.Breakfast was superb,and the choice of meals served at all times during the day were excellant value for money.I cant wait to go back again, hopefully next year.Unfortunately didnt have swimming kit with us otherwise we would have made use of what looked like great pool.We had a huge room with lovely view of the ruined abbey.Thankyou for a lovely stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Avinger, Texas
Reviewed 27 September 2012

What luck that a last minute change in plans brought us to the Abbey Hotel! We were able to snag a fantastic rate, but more importantly, we enjoyed the peaceful and refreshing atmosphere that surrounds this hotel. Our room was clean and comfortable with a lovely view across the gardens. The food was very good and service was great. Internet access is important to us, and the Abbey Hotel has both wireless internet and wired service for faster uploads. We walked alone in the abbey ruins for over an hour without interruption. It was truly one of our favorite stays!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nbrock
donegal
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We have just returned from a two night break at this hotel and have to say we were very pleased with all aspects of our stay. we are glad we didn't cancel as we were concerned due to the negative reports on trip advisor. From the moment we arrived we were treated very politely and efficiently. we were given a complimentary upgrade even though we had requested one on booking we were given it at no extra charge.

Our room was very spacious, clean, nicely furnished and had an amazingly comfy mattress. Everything we needed was supplied. The sound proofing was good as we heard nothing from next rooms which were occupied.

Breakfast was good with fruit, yogurt, meats, cheese and cooked breakfast. While the buffet on display is a little limited, the staff will replenish or supplying anything requested. The evening meal was good quality and plentiful. The dining room is pleasant just right for romantic anniversary!!

The bar and reception areas are extremely cosy with low lighting comfortable seating, gentle music, calm and relaxing.

All the staff we came across including the leisure centre were all very pleasant and helpful. We would stay again at this hotel if back in Roscommon.

We would like to comment on some of the negative comments on this site.
Firstly the toilet paper: What difference does it make what shape it is as long as it is soft and plentiful?

The pool. yes there are tiles missing but to make these repairs the pool would have to close. I would have not been happy if it were closed during my stay.

There were comments about the staff being rude but we found everyone kind and helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed in the new part of the building. The rooms in the old part may have better views but we d...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DonegalDanbert
Westmeath
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I attended a wedding on Saturday at The Abbey. On arrival to the hotel, it looked stunning. The front of the hotel is very well kept and there was a great look and feel to it. When we walked into the hotel, it was lovely and rustic.
We checked in and went on down to our room. On entry to the room, I was highly dissappointed. At a rate of 150 a night (and that was the reduced wedding rate) I was expecting to find a nice room but instead I stepped back in time...... there was nothing matching in the room - from green carpet to stripped wallpaper, then flowery curtains and check bed clothes. The bathroom was grubby looking with a toilet paper dispenser you would see in a public toilet.
I left the room in disbelief but thought I would not say anything and just enjoy the day. The wedding was fantastic and I could not fault the staff (waiter and waitresses) they were extremly nice.
Once the wedding was over, I headed down to our room and climbed into bed. I was horrified after lying in the bed for about 15 minutes the bed was damp and cold. I eventually had to get out of the bed and lay a towel from the bathroom on the floor and sleep there for the nite.
The next morning I went to reception to make a complaint (something I never do but was sooooo tired that I said I had to say something). The lady at reception told me to take a seat and she would get the manager. While we were waiting for the manager another lady came behind the reception desk and the 2 "ladies" starting giving out about me complaining (which was overheard by a friend - I let it go and did not mention this to the manager)
The manager arrived and I explained my case about the damp bed, to me it seemed he was basically saying there was no way the bed was damp but he would check it out. He didn't seem to worried about the fact that I slept on the floor for the night and wasn't very apologetic about the situation. He did knock €30 off the bill which was appreciated but I would have much preferred he seemed a little bit more concerned about his guest and the damp bed.

I will not stay in the this hotel again for the simple reason it is far to overpriced for the state of the rooms. You expect to stay in a half decent room at 150 a night.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in the newest part of the building.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Sineadf123
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed 8 September 2012

we were very disapointed with the hotel this time , we have stayed here quite a few times over the years , but this time i found the place to be grubby and a little run down .... the rooms were clean but the area around the bar was very dusty , my daughter was able to write her name on the table ...... so it must have been a good few days since it was cleaned , the pool had lots of broken tiles and its very dangerous with kids around .....the food was excellent in the restaurant as it has always been and waiting staff were very friendly and helpful .... not quite sure i will be going back again as there is plenty of other hotels for much the same price close by .... just needs a bit of money to freshen the place up and bring it back to its former glory !!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jansligo
abbeyhotel3, Manager at Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Good afternoon, thank you for your response on Trip Advisor, we aim to please all our customers when they visit the Abbey Hotel and we try to correct any issues that may arise, we strive to maintain cleanliness in the hotel and apologise if you found it not up to scratch. Thank you for comment on good food and staff, we pride ourselves on customer service no matter how big or small the sale, I have passed you comments on to the relevent departments, and we do hope to see you here again in Roscommon.
Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We have just returned from 3 nights B&B in this gorgeous hotel. The point of going away was to have a relaxing break before the children went back to school and I am pleased to say our goal was achieved.
There was a kids club which my two girls ( 5 & 3 yr old) loved, two hours in the morning and three in the evening. Just perfect to get a little adult time, we haven't shared an uninterrupted meal in years!!
The girls loved the pool as did we, we have stayed in other hotels and we were unable to stay in the pool as it was soo cold.
The location was perfect, a short stroll into town was enjoyed by all. The car never moved from check in to check out.
The staff were all great. Polite, friendly and accomodating. The food was fabulous.
We would most definately recommend this hotel to all and we hope to return.
Thanks to all in the Abbey.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor about your recent stay, I am thrilled to hear you had a great stay and the kids enjoyed the camp, I have passed your comments along to the relevant departments,
Sligo
Reviewed 29 August 2012

4 family members went for dinner at 3.00pm. We got held up outside talking to people coming out from dinner. However my Mother had being raving on about the food etc in the Abbey Hotel for ages and it was a suprise for her.She was really looking forward to it. At 3.10pm we entered and was told by a polish girl dinner is over. She walked away. I went to reception and the same was repeated . The cold reception we received from staff said enough. We left and went to Gleesons on the square. We all had a beautiful starter, dinner & desert for a price of 80 Euro. Obviously the Abbey Hotel turns away business or the chef goes gome at 3.00pm. Recession? Not in the Abbey. Not impressed and really disgusted. We won`t bother going back.

Room Tip: Nothing to say
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Good afternoon, just in response to your recent comments, I apologise for any inconvience caused to you or your party. We serve food here in the Abbey 24hrs per day. Bar Food is served from 12-9pm daily and Resturant is open for Dinner 6-9pm daily, we also have a daily carvery lunch which runs from 12.30-2.30 mon to fri, and sat & sun from 12-4pm. Overnight we offer sandwiches and snacks. All our staff are aware of food service hours within the hotel and I can assure you we have chefs in the hotel from 6am until 10pm daily to serve all our customers.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roscommon
Hannon's Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Shearwater Hotel
Shearwater Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ballinasloe

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!