“Chill out zone”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Roscommon
Galway
“Chill out zone”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We just came back from a night away at this hotel, we travelled with another couple. We had a truly wonderful stay thanks especially to Claire at reception who took care of us! We had wonderful rooms with character and extremely comfortable beds which we had the best sleep in! We ate our evening meal in the cosy bar which was full of character with lovely festive decorations. The bar and lounge were busy but full of atmosphere and a great festive buzz. The menu was both extensive and reasonable and we all enjoyed our choices. Breakfast was also lovely with great choices. The leisure centre was spacious and very pleasant. We will happily return to this hotel again and would not hesitate in recommending it to anyone looking for a cosy retreat. Staff were all busy with the festivities of the season but were always most pleasant and helpful. Thanks to all of them!

Room Tip: We had rooms in the older original part of the building which we loved as they were full of characte...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
northern ireland
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked a one night stay here on a discount voucher deal. The hotel is easy to find in the fairly small town and the staff were very welcoming on our arrival. Our room, 32, was comfortable enough but fairly basic. The bathroom was in dire need of a refurb, with peeling stained paper and black mould around the bath tiles in one corner. That really should never happen in a four star hotel. I would say the hotel would be better rated as a three star except the food in the restaurant almost pushes it into five star territory. The chef Alison is really quite exceptional especially so in what is a small country hotel. The menu is varied and uses local produce and the wine list is small but good. All staff we encountered were friendly, professional and attentive. The restaurant was atmospheric, every table was candlelit and the overall lighting was soft - created just the right relaxing effect.
Our deal involved sparkling wine and chocolates in the room and whilst these were missing on arrival a word with reception sorted it out promptly. I would have to say however that if you are going to advertise 'sparkling wine' serve this and not a Belgian Perry which had more in common with apple juice than the fruit of the vine. And what about a few handmade chocolates? A plate of standard milk chocolate discs of the sort served with after dinner coffee really did not impress.
There were quite a few locals dining - always a good sign and I got the impression that this is a much loved local destination.

2 Thank Bloobird
Dublin,Ireland
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on a Groupon deal which was exceptional value and include "prosecco " and chocolates each night.

The prosecco turned out to be low alcohol sparkling perry ...but actually it was very refreshing...so much so that when the hotel forgot to deliver it on the 2nd night I rang reception and reminded them about it..it was delivered immediately.

The room were slightly dated but spotlessly clean ..the old fashioned TV did not work on arrival but we were changed to a different room with very little fuss after the friendly maintenance man confirmed that this was the case.

The leisure centre is terrific....clean and obviously well used by the locals and guests of the hotel.

We had dinner in the bar ..food was good and well priced.

Breakfast was a self-service buffet and was a little "dried out " on arrival on our first day ...when the restaurant manager spotted me picking through the bacon...he immediately arranged new bacon and fresh eggs to be delivered to our table.

Overall..we had slightly more than the usual hiccups over the duration of our stay..

BUT in every case what could have been an issue was resolved smoothly by the very professional and friendly staff...WELL DONE !

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have a connecting door to an adjacent room ...our 2nd night was somewha...
Waringstown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I had booked a deal with Living Social in August for my daughters 25th birthday on the 08 November 13. A week before we were due to arrive, I looked at reviews on Tripadvisor and discovered a hotel response to a review regarding refurbishment taking place in November. On contact with the hotel, they advised the refurbishment was taking place from 04 to 14 Nov and I could change dates if I so wished. As this was not possible, we went ahead with the booking. The hotel was nice and the bedrooms well appointed with the MOST comfortable beds around. Unfortunately for us, both the bar and restaurant areas were being refurbished and the area designated to have all meals in was in bad need of updating and should really have been done prior to starting on the main function areas of the hotel. Breakfast was fine but the room was not a likeable place to have an evening meal, so we ate out on both nights at Regan's Pub and restaurant (luckily just a 5/10min walk away) . This was a great pity as reviews for evening meals in the hotel were excellent and it would have been lovely to have experienced the hotel properly by having a meal in the areas that were being refurbished. My husband enjoyed the spa and pool facilities on both days and it would be nice to make a return visit but definitely when there is no decorating in progress! My overall rating would have been 4 instead of 3 if we had of been able to stay after the 14 Nov.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a quiet area to the front of the hotel.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here for a wedding in November with my girlfriend.

I had needed to change my booking details prior to leaving, and it had taken 5 days to get a response to my email. The reception was most helpful in assisting me with my query however the delay wasn't the best start.

Rooms are nice, very big. All the decor is old. Some people will like this hotel more than others. Some may find it charming, while others will call it dated. It felt to me a bit like Fawlty Towers, not in a catastrophic kind of way, but the building's interior reminded me of it.

On the day of the wedding I went in to take a shower and there was no hot water. I tried a friend's room and it was the same. Reception said that they had ran out of hot water. Absolutely indefensible for a hotel to run out of hot water. Have never experienced this before. An apology was forthcoming but at no stage was I offered some form of discount or compensation for this basic lack of a service I had paid for.

I did not have time to take this matter up in too much detail but the lack of an offer to rectify the situation didnt leave a good impression with me.

Staff for the wedding were great. The breakfast is ok. Standard hotel buffet breakfast with the standard failings one would associate with buffets.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kyle P
Dublin
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed for one night in July.
When we arrived the grounds looked lovely and well kept. Reception staff helpful we got to the rooms which really need upgrading. The linen and towels we received were clean but looked like they were being used for at least the last ten years! Bathroom needed to be re furnished. The bar food was pretty good and bar staff friendly. When we went for breakfast they did not have space to accommodate us we had to sit outside the dining room and wait for a table then when we did get inside we were asked did we want eggs but the girl serving us forgot and we had finished breakfast when she asked did we still want them ! So all in all shoddy dining room service they did not seem to have enough staff on to cater for the guests they had! I would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We had purchased 3 Groupon vouchers of which we used two on this stay. Each voucher I bought was for an overnight stay for two, breakfast, wine and chocolates and cost £59 each so £177 in total. Our vouchers were all bought separately and at the full voucher price not a follow on stay, so I assumed that each night we were there we would have the bottle of sparkling wine and chocolates waiting in our room, however this only happened on the first night which was disappointing.

We arrived on a cold Tuesday in November and had a warm greeting from the receptionist Claire. I had emailed the vouchers after booking two nights by email but for some reason one of them didn't go through so I had re-emailed and said maybe it just hadn't gone through yet as I had used my main email address. The following morning (Weds) it still hadn't sent so I showed the second voucher which I fortunately had saved to my phone in a pdf, to Claire so she could write down the numbers needed.

The room - no. 82 - clean and tidy. The bathroom was spotless and had plenty of towels and toiletries. Hot water straight away so top marks there. The furniture in the room was both attractive and functional. Very much in keeping with the castle facade.

The room was quite warm which was lovely when we had just arrived in from the cold. Tea and coffee facilities were located in a beautiful pullout unit underneath the tv which was attached to the wall. Old tv but perfectly serviceable.

Didn't like that there were additional beds in the room, I had just booked for myself and my husband so no need of two additional single beds. I didn't say anything about it as I figured it wasn't a huge deal. Until we wanted to watch a bit of tv and found it uncomfortable to sit on the bed and enjoy a coffee as the table and chairs were opposite the bathroom wall so couldn't use them! Two of the lamps weren't working, again not a big deal, there were plenty of others and we noticed that there was clingflim covering the smoke alarm, as our room was a non smoking room we found this a bit odd, had they recently painted and forgotten to take it off? A pet hate of mine is crooked pictures and most in room 82 are hung crookedly. In fact quite a few are around the hotel, maybe its a quirk they like?

We ate in the bar on the first night and the meal was tasty. We didn't have to wait too long which is a big thing for us. We both had the half roast chicken with peas and fries. The service was very prompt and friendly. Reasonably priced too which is another bonus.

The breakfast each morning was plentiful, a selection of cereals, juice, fresh fruit and yogurts, toast and cooked breakfast of bacon, sausages, eggs etc etc. We really didn't need to eat until well after lunchtime. Lovely view of the old Abbey ruins out of the window too.

The leisure centre was very relaxing, I enjoyed my swim and sauna. It would be handy if they could give bags for damp swimwear. The wringing out machine was very useful.

Wednesday we went out for the day, not much to see or do in Roscommon in November unfortunately but they have some lovely little gift shops and cafes. On our arrival back, our room key wouldn't work so headed down to the reception to ask why. It was clearly stated on the cardboard key cover that we were booked for two nights but they had only loaded the key up with one. This was to do with them not getting the second voucher in the email but as I had given the second voucher code in that morning before we went out, I wasn't too happy about this.

When we went to check out on Thursday, again we were questioned about the second voucher and I had to point out on the actual sheet she was holding(!!!) the second code. So we left with a bit of a sour taste about groupon vouchers or staff training in their usage and whether or not they are really welcome.

A lovely hotel with friendly staff but not sure whether I want to use my remaining Groupon voucher.....

Room Tip: We had a lovely view of the Abbey straight ahead but if you looked directly downwards then the view...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roscommon
Hannon's Hotel
#3 of 9 in Athlone
Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!