“Hard to fault”

Ranked #1 of 5 Roscommon B&B and Inns
London
“Hard to fault”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay at Gleeson's. We were a party of four in three rooms. We arrived Friday afternoon and check in was smooth, quick, and friendly. All our rooms were spotless, warm and with modern bathrooms. We had an early dinner in the cafe which was lovely; fresh food and a well thought out menu catering for most tastes. The cafe service is efficient, friendly and relaxed. The following evening we were a party of eight eating in the restaurant. I had the sea bass which was very good. Service in the restaurant was attentive and unobtrusive. We stayed in the two-room suite to the front of the hotel and this was lovely; tasteful decor with lots of space to relax and the room was made up every day. The location of the hotel is ideal, right by the main square. Only two small points for improvement, some light bulbs were not working in the room and over the bathroom mirror, and the trouser press was not working. I hope this hotel continues to thrive and we will definitely stay here next time we visit Roscommon and would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Turkish first
Roscommon, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I eat here quite often, as it's local to where I live. Most of the food is locally sourced and is of a very high standard. It's not cheap but I think it still represents value for money. I stayed here once and I was very impressed with the service and the room (although the Wi-Fi didn't work in the bedroom)

The hotel is right in the centre of Roscommon town and there is plenty to do day or night (theatre, pubs, restaurants, castle and shops) all within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Billinghay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Although we have stayed before, we had not stayed at the Townhouse( our previous stays being at the apartment in Lanesboro) we decided to treat ourselves to a stay tin the Suite as we wre only over for a couple of days for a friends 40th birthday party,and we were not disappointed it has something you dont get at many hotels ...charm and character ,we felt that it was good value for money and the breakfasts are not for the faint hearted and certainly keep you giong for the day well until the evening when you are assured of hearty irish fare.We love this place and look foward always to seeing the Gleeson family who greet you as long lost friends! Our only regret is thatt we not able to get over this year( We stayed late November last year,Sorry guys I forgot to write this review at the time only when looking to come and stay next year did we realise forgotten) Looking forward to visiting in 2014 for sure!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio U.S.A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I had a short stay in Roscommon on my way to Galway and stayed the night! I was surprised to hear that Mr Gleeson was out sick, I greatly enjoy his humor and stories! I had a nice dinner there and their soups are to die for!

Room Tip: I haven't had a bad room yet!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Andy M
midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I recently booked a table for four. I have to say I was very impressed with the sevice and atmosphere. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The menu caters for everyones taste. for starters I got the Fish cakes and would recommend them highly. The Garlic mushrooms and Ceasur Salad was also got at the table and lets just say there wasnt a crumb left on anyones plate. The mains and desserts were equally as good. There was a vegetarian among us and she had plenty of choice from each course, After dinner we had a nice relaxing drink in reception, We will return without a doubt.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Del Mar, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here as a family and LOVED it. Some of the most friendly, helpful, kind, genuine people working there. The rooms could use "updating" but in the BIG scope of life they are fantastic and part of the family charm.
We had excelent food and service and could not have been happier.
They were VERY eager to help create a meal that worked with all my various food allergies. Not too many places are this helpful.
We had a wonderful stay and will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2012
Galway, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Recently had a dining experience in Glesson's restaurant and it reminded so much for food for the sixties.The foyer area where we were served pre dinner drinks was cosy with a warm fire, nice soft furnishing and a carpet.The menu was rather long and the waiter then came to announce the specials of the evening two soups and roast beef and salmon.This rather surprised me as it was approx 9pm I opted for the salmon thinking it would be freshly cooked my friend opted for the home made burger with accompliments.The salmon arrived with a grey look, sitting high on a mound of mash potatoes, the only sauce was the liquid that had run off the fish and solidified on the plate in the reheating process. The roast potato was parboiled and the dipped into a deep fat fryer so it remained half raw. The side order of vegetables tasted as if the they were reheated from lunch. The burger and chip were a massive portion ,it would have taken an adult alsatian to tackle this between its teeth. In my estimation this restaurant is more interested in portion size than taste and innovation of flavours. My advise to both chef and owner is to go on a cookery course and maybe they need a few dining experiences in reputable establishments to update themselves and realise we have all moved on from the reheated Sunday lunch.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jessie587
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roscommon
Abbey Hotel
Sheraton Athlone
Sheraton Athlone
#3 of 9 in Athlone
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,785 reviews

Been to Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant? Share your experiences!