“Excellent Townhouse Accommodation”

Ranked #1 of 4 Roscommon B&B and Inns
Ennis, Ireland
“Excellent Townhouse Accommodation”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is an excellent family run townhouse in the heart of Roscommon Town. Mary and Eamon give the personal touch and are always on hand. Complimentary tea/coffee and scones in the cafe on arrival is a nice touch. The breakfast is huge, great variety and has that "home cooked" taste that you don't get in hotels. Staff take the lead from the hosts and are very helpful. Rooms are all individually and tastefully furnished in country townhouse style. Would highly recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
EamonnGleeson, Owner at Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear gdf07,
Thank you very much for your kind review. Its great when we hear back from people who enjoyed staying with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to us very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Turkish first
Sligo
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Booked here as I was attending a wedding near by, on checking in we were given a room down the street up over a shop, never once were we advised that we would not be in the building of the guesthouse.

On entering the room the smell was vile, we reported it straight away to the reception and they said they would look at it. When we returned from the wedding they keys would not work, we had to wake the girl on reception to let us in.

The smell in the room was worse and we had to sleep in this all night, reported it AGAIN the following morning, as the smell was so bad they had to give us keys to a room in the guesthouse itself as we wer unable to stay in the room to shower with the smell. This was a fiasco also as they did not know what rooms were available to use.

Would not recommend staying here at all and would definitely not return,

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SligoLooneyToon
EamonnGleeson, Owner at Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Guest

We would like to acknowledge your recent review relating to your stay with us some 6 months ago.
Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies for your experience with us. Without making excuses, that time was a highly unusual situation at Gleesons, in that an extremely high ranking US intelligence agent was staying at The Townhouse during a visit to his ancestral home in Roscommon, which meant that on the request of the Intelligence Agency some of our Townhouse rooms had to be used for security reasons, hence your accommodation in our Townhouse annexe.

Unfortunately the odours in your room in the Townhouse annexe was caused by a faulty air vent, which we were unaware of until reported to us by you. When discovered we acted immediately to resolve the issue. I also note your issue with the electronic key cards. We have discontinued using them as they caused our guests an inconvenience on several occasions.

We fully acknowledge that these events led to a very poor experience for you, which greatly disappoints us, as we strive to make sure all our guests enjoy a warm, homely and welcoming stay with us.

We would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Gleesons, where I can assure you of the best of attention and a genuine welcome.

Sincerely
Eamonn and Mary Gleeson
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Hi we have visited gleeson,s three times now and always very friendly and good home made food
we live in England ,Manchester, and visit Ireland on a regular based , and we go out of our way too call here and spend the night good beer choice and well run hotel they always make you feel very welcome we arrived a bit late one night 30 mins after food was closed,
we asked if there was any chance we could have some sandwiches or anything to eat , chap just said no bother! sit your selfs down and I will bring you the menu and said you can have anything from the menu, so we sat down near the big warm fire and ordered a pint of guiness and a powers whisky . Can not be beat and the room was very comfy.....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Penarth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I needed to stay in Roscommon for several nights during November while visiting from the UK to spend time with a very ill relative at the local hospital. Having previously had a number of very positive experiences at the restaurant, I checked in at Gleesons where I returned for a number of nights over a couple of weeks. What a wonderful experience, from start to finish. Gleesons is a real credit to the family and a real gem for Roscommon. The accommodation was welcoming, tasteful, comfortable and spotless. However the best feature of all was the warm welcome (not to mention the lovely open fire!) and cosy retreat that both owners and staff extended to me on each occasion. Several times I needed to arrive very late and/or leave early, and I was always offered lovely food and refreshments. (I also had lunch from their deli next door which was delicious). Nothing was too much trouble. This lovely retreat was particularly special given the stressful circumstances of my trip, but I was delighted to see this same "Cead mile failte" extended to many visitors and guests over my time there. My family & I look forward to staying again under more relaxed circumstances in the future & meantime will be recommending Gleesons unreservedly.

Room Tip: I stayed in a number of rooms and each one was charming.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dublin,Ireland
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My first impression was that the place was incredibly quiet for a Friday night ..it turned out that a large function room at the back was fully booked for a retirement party.

However this did not impact in any way on the service or the quality of the food.

The starter was fresh and crisp the mains were tasty and well presented .

We shared a bottle of their Eco brand wine which I noticed that they were also selling in their local Artisan produce shop elsewhere in Roscommon.

It was lovely and very well priced for the quality.

Service was pleasant and friendly considering the pressure they were obviously under next door!

All in all ...I would recommend this restaurant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay at Gleeson's. We were a party of four in three rooms. We arrived Friday afternoon and check in was smooth, quick, and friendly. All our rooms were spotless, warm and with modern bathrooms. We had an early dinner in the cafe which was lovely; fresh food and a well thought out menu catering for most tastes. The cafe service is efficient, friendly and relaxed. The following evening we were a party of eight eating in the restaurant. I had the sea bass which was very good. Service in the restaurant was attentive and unobtrusive. We stayed in the two-room suite to the front of the hotel and this was lovely; tasteful decor with lots of space to relax and the room was made up every day. The location of the hotel is ideal, right by the main square. Only two small points for improvement, some light bulbs were not working in the room and over the bathroom mirror, and the trouser press was not working. I hope this hotel continues to thrive and we will definitely stay here next time we visit Roscommon and would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013
Roscommon, Ireland
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I eat here quite often, as it's local to where I live. Most of the food is locally sourced and is of a very high standard. It's not cheap but I think it still represents value for money. I stayed here once and I was very impressed with the service and the room (although the Wi-Fi didn't work in the bedroom)

The hotel is right in the centre of Roscommon town and there is plenty to do day or night (theatre, pubs, restaurants, castle and shops) all within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roscommon
Abbey Hotel
Sheraton Athlone
Sheraton Athlone
#3 of 9 in Athlone
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,810 reviews

Been to Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant? Share your experiences!