“I left a piece of my heart at Glenculloo!”
Review of Glenculloo Cottage

Glenculloo Cottage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Glenculloo Cottage
Ranked #1 of 1 Newport B&B and Inns
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“I left a piece of my heart at Glenculloo!”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Words cannot express how wonderful the experience was at Glenculloo! From the shot of Jamison as we entered the cottage ( a tradition one must follow at Glenculloo) to Tony and Dana sharing Ireland with us on the "perfect tour"! Our beds were toasty warm as we pulled the covers back. Breakfast was tasty and inviting! The cottage was as clean as a whistle and so very comfortable. It brought me back to a more gentle time and brought out gratitude to God for my life and this beautiful place and kind friends like Tony and Dana. Tony did such a marvelous job breathing life back into this 200 year old cottage! My advice to all is to not wait to do the things you would like to do. Experience the things that will make your life more meaningful! Believe me, Glenculloo will fill your heart!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Business
Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We had an amazing trip at Glenculloo. Although we did not stay there with Tony and Dana, they had planned out an amazing vacation for our family of 5. They set an itinerary that was perfect for the time we were there. We enjoyed everything we saw!
The cottage provides you with the feel of Ireland, in every aspect. It is decorated amazingly. We loved the nightly fires, the spacious rooms, the view of the hill, visits with neighbors and coffee on the front porch.
I would highly recommend the cottage to anyone!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Holcombe, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Tony Keegan, Owner and his friend, Dana Strohm were outstanding hosts. Their Bed and Breakfast cottage is delightful....definitely an Irish cottage. Tony has renovated this cottage for visitors upmost comfort, while still keeping many of the original artifacts.. Sitting around the original 225 year old heath on a stone floor, and reliving the history of Glencullo Cottage is a once in a lifetime experience.

We enjoyed an excellent breakfast every morning at the cottage and then in the evening, after full days of touring, he had cocktails and hor de ouerves for us and some very interesting games to play..

Tony is an excellent tour guide. He took us to many sites...the Cliffs of Mohr, Farney Castle,Kilhenney Castle, Bunratty Castle, Blarney Woolen Mills,, Glenstal Abbey Church and Boys School, Jazman Palace for Chinese Buffet (absolutely delicious), Galtee Mountain Range,Childrens Burial Ground (2000-3000 B.C.) and Well, Jim Of the Mill (traditional song and music session) and too many other places to mention.

I have travelled many places in the world and this was definitely a once in a lifetime experience. Hopefully someday I will be able to return to ireland and stay at Glencullo Cottage.and I can then say "twice in a lifetime".

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Holcombe, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Our first trip across the Atlantic was one we will not soon forget! We booked a week at Glenculloo Cottage (which we have since decided was not near long enough) followed by a few days in Dublin. The recently renovated cottage maintained its historical charm while providing a VERY clean, comfortable, & unique setting. The hosts of Glenculloo Cottage are more than accomodating...they are tour guide, maid service, chef, chauffeur, & companion all rolled into one! (However, please note that the cottage is also available for those that wish to self-cater). To be honest, we arrived with an open mind & an open agenda... we let our hosts lead the way & we could not have been more satisfied!! We saw some of the most breath-taking sites in all of Ireland - some popular with the tourists & some known only by the locals - all wonderfully unbelievable! It would be easy to provide you with every detail of every day, as with so much to see we did keep a journal; however, we truly would hate to spoil your journey! So I will conclude with this...we are counting the days until we return!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 14 January 2010

12/22/09

Dear Dana & Tony:

Our experience with our good friends Dan & Dee Poquette at Glenculoo Cottage back in late September was one that will be etched in our memories for many years to come. This simple, comfortable cottage nestled in the Hills of Tipperary returned to it’s authenticity through a recent renovation which obviously took every little painstaking detail into account to duplicate the old while providing the modern comforts of new.

The cottage itself took our minds and souls back to a much simpler time and enabled us to breathe the timelessness of the nature and beauty shared by these special Celtic people throughout the centuries.

When you take a left onto the bridge that crosses the crystal clear babbling brook and spot this stucco “gem” accented by a split rail fence, red door, slate roof and spend a week in GCC you may never want to return to civilization as we know it.

John O’Carroll, my cousin, who grew up in Ballylongford, County Kerry visited us one night with his lovely wife Ula. He most certainly captured the essence of Glenculloo with a poem he impulsively recited to us as we sat around the kitchen table by the peet burning stove after dinner while sipping on wine and chatting.

The Lake Isle of Innisfree

I WILL arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the mourning to where the cricket sings:
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet’s wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore:
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s core.

W.B. Yeats

Silence filled the room for a lengthy moment - nothing more to say.

Thank you Glenculoo! - Yan & Brian Hart

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
West Bend, WI
Reviewed 17 December 2009

The cottage and setting let you immerse yourself in the countryside and culture of Ireland. It preserves the charm of an Irish cottage without sacrificing modern conveniences. The property is cozy and the setting allows you settle into an easy, relaxing pace.

The owner will only book one party at a time. That means your party has the entire property to yourself. The host’s personal knowledge of the area and guide service is outstanding. We would have missed so much if we had tried to tour the area on our own. We might have hit some of the major touristy spots, but none of the unique and off the beaten path things.

Our stay was two weeks and it was amazing. We have recommended the property to numerous friends and family and we will be back to this special place.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Been to Glenculloo Cottage? Share your experiences!