“Bar Food an Ideal Short Stay Option”

Cliff House Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Ardmore
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had reserved a table in the Michelin Starred House Restaurant for later this week, but I was terribly disappointed at having to cancel it for family reasons.

Thus I find myself on the road driving back to Waterford from Cork on a beautiful early Summer day. It was shortly after lunch and we hadn't eaten, so I suggested to my Mum that we divert the few miles off the main road to Cliff House. She jumped at the opportunity. I had been here before, but not since they were awarded their coveted Michelin Star for the House Restaurant so I was anxious and excited to see what changes that might have brought to an already-favourite place.

Driving up the steeply winding roads to the clifftop luxury hotel, ones eyes are drawn to the beauty of the landscape and the crystal clear waters below. On arrival at the Hotel I found it impossible to find parking, but was very impressed when an attentive valet noticed my predicament and rushed out to park my jeep.

We descended to the bar and restaurant and found ourselves drawn, as if magnetically, to the sun soaked balcony overlooking the bay. Every table was full of happy diners sitting under bright orange umbrellas. I wandered from spot to spot taking pics of the bay, the kayakers, the crystal waters, the hotel's hot tub and seaweed baths (which are outside), and relished the feeling of the warm sun on my skin.

We opted to sit inside and the very attentive staff immediately found us an excellent table with a wonderful view. We ordered light starters only as we weren't particularly hungry. My seafood chowder was almost picturesque in its presentation - a creamy potato-based broth with plentiful fresh fish and prawns, a parsley oil drizzle, and a dollop of clotted cream. This was served with three thick slices of delicious homemade brown bread. Mum ordered the chicken liver parfait which was served in a glass jar and topped with a rose jam glaze. I tasted it and was sorry I hadn't ordered it. Mum had a glass of Moet and I had a café latte. The bill for the lot was €36. Not the cheapest light lunch ever, but terrific value for what we got, the setting, and the five star hotel experience.

Service was enthusiastic, attentive, and pleasant. The setting is breathtaking.

I weould highly recommend it.

1  Thank GourmetGabi
AdriaanBartels, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear GourmetGabi

What a wonderful review - thank you so much!

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Fantastic Day at the Bistro, with fantastic views of the sea and coastline, peaceful atmosphere, menu rich but not very accurate, decor a little 'poor compared to expectations, service a bit slow, the price a little expensive.

Dear Glampys71

Thank you for your review. Hope to see you back soon,

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Had the tasting menu , so many flavours,sensations and wow moments. Highlights , and there were many,were the salmon , beef and veal dishes.Halibut a tad overcooked.The attention to detail is exemplary , the breads , butters , water, service all top notch.The setting itself is breathtaking.Polite , efficient and well informed staff made for a most enjoyable evening.Couldn't quite manage to eat everything as the portions are generous for a tasting menu but I made a valiant attempt.Perhaps the room was a little warm on the night .Would I go back ? Absolutely .

AdriaanBartels, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Tillyreine

Thanks for your great review.

Glad you enjoyed and glad you'll be back!

Best regards

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was absolutely an amazing culinary experience. Well worth every cent. The setting, the service, the staff but above all the food combine to produce one of the best meals we ever had in Ireland or for that matter anywhere. From the amuse Boucher to the two deserts each course compliments the one either side of it and both delights the senses and the tastebuds. There are eight courses on the tasting menu and it's difficult to pick out one but smacked salmon presented in three different ways was truly memorable. Main course was rose veal and the fish included halibut. There was a rhubarb desert and chocolate to finish. A carrot sorbet with mint tea foam. The wine waiter was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. It has none of the stuffiness one associates with such food. If you get the chance, don't pass it up!

Dear drimbane

Thank you for your superb review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and very much look forward to welcoming you back soon again someday.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We went out here, with reservations, with a friend for a Sunday late afternoon dinner in April 2013. It wasn't crowded when we arrived, so we were able with to get a table by the windows as we had requested, but only an end one (it having only partial views) despite many more of them being open with fuller views when we were seated. Further, the views were only of Ardmore Bay, not the Irish Sea (the latter being inferred possible on the Cliff House website). It was also a very windy day-the gentle rollers on the bay were much less impressive (what we could see of them) than would have been seeing breaking waves on the Irish Sea. For reasons I still don't understand, more precise seating in accord with our reservations requests, and as promised, couldn't be delivered.

Our friend had the sea bass (her favorite here) which she raved about. I had a taste, but did not find it that great (nor did my wife, who had the same entree). I must admit, however, that I (although not my wife) may not be the best judge of sea bass because I have not had it previously and my fish interests are not that great in the first place. I had a steak which I found tasty and nicely presented. My wife cannot remember her entree, but does remember she wasn't overly impressed-she does say however, her panecatta (Sp?) desert was the best she has ever had. So,
one and one-have ""raves" out of three possible, in addition to our less than optimal seating, is what accounts for my "not hugely impressed" final judgment of this very highly rated and awarded ( for its cuisine) restaurant.

Adriaan_Bartels_13, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear LnEagle

Thank you for your review of your visit to the Bar Restaurant one year ago in April 2013.

Had you indicated that you preferred a different available table we would of course have only been delighted to offer it to you.

I am not sure which website you consulted but our own hotel website refers only to 'peaceful Ardmore Bay'. Not being pedantic but technically this bay flows out onto the Celtic Sea which in turn meets the Irish Sea to its north so we would never refer to the hotel having views over the Irish Sea.

Yours sincerely