“Best place to stay!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Ardmore B&B and Inns
Big Bear Lake, CA
“Best place to stay!”
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

We travel a lot, so we know a real gem when we find one! This place looks new (actually about 10 years old). Beautiful views and nice furnishings. They have thought of everything: hair dryer and wifi password in the room (had to ask for these everywhere else). And it's the first place in Europe we've found that has face cloths and Kleenex tissue. Breakfast offered a printed menu with 5 choices. Home made brown bread, salmon scones... So just a perfect B&B in a wonderful little Village.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucky0ne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Whitebridge, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Lovely place to stay. Stayed here for 1 night, great room with view overlooking bay, fantastic breakfast and Jeanette host was lovely and very accomodating. Would recommend cliff walk in the morning and the local pottery shop is cute.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Duncrone for 2 nights. We chose the location as a central point between Waterford and Kinsale, where we would do some day trips. We read reviews and read Rick Steves' book, which he recommended the B&B. When we arrived, Jeanette was welcoming and showed us to our very nice room, with beautiful views of the ocean and town. The woodwork in the room and house were beautiful, but our room was very chilly; Jeanette mentioned it was cold because she had just turned on the heat for us since we didn't know our arrival time. We left to a nearby town for dinner and when we returned, our room was still cold. We went to the common room to warm up by the fire and Jeanette said to let her know if we are too cold so she could make sure our stay was comfortable. We quickly got in bed that night to warm up. In the morning, we were freezing and our radiators were cold; making it very hard to get out of bed! We mentioned this to Jeanette and she said the heat was off for an hour. After mentioning the lack of heat again, she told us we should think twice before we visit Ireland in February again... we wanted to visit during this time of year! Although we weren't always warm and the mattress was a bit thin, the rest of our experience was great! The breakfast was so amazing!! My husband LOVED the fresh squeezed orange juice! Ardmore was very pleasant, and the ocean waves were beautiful to watch! It was a great location for what we wanted and the house was beautiful! Jeanette was very friendly other than talking about heat :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Duncrone, Owner at Duncrone B&B, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Hello Dani M ,
Thank you for your review, I am disappointed you say you were cold for your stay here , I know your room was chilly when you arrived ,but as I explained I did not know what time you were to arrive and the heating only went on when you came ,so I brought you down to the guest room and offered you a cup of tea , you declined this as you were going out for dinner as soon as you had your luggage in .I do not tend to have heating on in rooms when people are out for dinner but turned it on again before you came back and once again invited you to the lounge where I turned on the tv and once again offered to make you a cup of tea , I told you that I did not want you to be cold for your stay here, so, if you did feel cold ,as you had come from Florida, and it was one of the coldest weeks we had here in a few years just to let me know and not be worried about saying anything to me and I would make sure there was extra heating on for you.I also had two stoves lighting since 7.00 am both days of your stay as I have had for most of this winter .In the morning I will admit I was shocked when I asked how you had slept and you said you were frozen as the heating had been on in your room a total of 6 hours on and off during the night . I did say about coming to Ireland in February but only to explain that February can be a colder month than November, as the weather can sometimes be milder in November, but certainly not to tell you when to take your holiday. That day when you were in Kinsale both stoves were again lit at 7.00am and
so your room would not feel cold for you when you returned , I put a heater in the room from 5.00 for three hours and then heating came on before you arrived back and was again on for the 6 hours on and off for the night . I did not speak with you that night when you returned . The following morning you remarked how cold you were on your travels the previous day and that you were frozen except when you were in the car . When you were leaving here,and as the day was very cold I wished you well for your journey home and said that you would not be sorry to get back to the heat of Florida you stated you didn't mind the
cold because the area you were brought up in had weather similar to here .
I am sorry if I appeared to be talking about heating but my sole purpose in doing so was to ensure your comfort.
I have never had anyone say my mattresses were thin in fact anyone who comments about them comment about the good quality of the mattresses .
I thank you for the kind words in your review, although I am sorry you feel we did not live up to our usual high standard ,but wish you and your family every good wish for the future.
Jeanette
Estes Park, Colorado
Reviewed 11 October 2012

This is a lovely place to stay with great Irish hospitality and wonderful breakfast choices. The location in this charming town makes it a super place to enjoy the countryside. Rooms are cute and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Co.Meath, Ireland
Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

We used the B&B to overnight in Ardmore following dinner in the Cliff House Hotel.

The landlady, Jeanette, was most gracious and accommodating, so much so that she offered to drive us to the Cliff House- an offer we gratefully accepted.

The ensuite room was very clean and well laid out with a lovely view out over the surrounding countryside to the sea at Ardmore.

Breakfast was top-class with freshly-squeezed orange juice, cereals, home baked breads, scones and a range of freshly cooked options.

All in all, I would have no hesitation in recommending.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank daoshaug
Enumclaw, Washington, United States
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Jeanette provides everything you expect in a quality bed & breakfast. We were traveling with two other couples and all of our rooms and en-suite bathrooms were nicely decorated and immaculate! She has several delicious breakfast options complete with fresh squeezed orange juice. We enjoyed being in the quiet countryside in Jeanette's lovely home. Jeanette also recommended a wonderful pub/restaurant outside of Ardmore called "Seanchaí." The food and atmosphere were wonderful and worth the 10-15 minute drive for dinner.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sue W
Enumclaw, Washington
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Proprietor Jeanette offers the cleanest, neatest rooms with modern en-suite bathrooms that you could ever want in this lovely bed-and-breakfast right on the coast of southern Ireland. It's the perfect location in this tiny town, between your stops in Waterford and Cobh...worth a night or two so you can explore the wonderful cliffside trail (three miles) that takes you right along the ocean, past medieval ruins. Jeanette's breakfasts are fabulous, with fresh squeezed orange juice and made-to-order eggs, french toast, etc. Just lovely.

Room Tip: She has a lovely large room on the first floor if you don't want to climb one flight of stairs...