“Amazing”
Review of Cliff House Hotel

Cliff House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ardmore
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed here for one night and cannot find any fault with the hotel .

Our room was so nice , the bath and the shower was was huge.
The spa and the pool is a must.
The views over the sea from nearly every part of the hotel was great.
We found it to be so peaceful and relaxing.
We had our meal in the bar resturant it was really nice.
The Breakfast the next morning was in a 3 course setting and again so really really nice.
If we had the time i would of stayed ffor another night .....or two :O)

For me the best part of the hotel was the staff , they could not be any more help full
from the moment we walked up to the hotel door it was all smiles and the man on the door asked how our day was going and if he could help us with any thing.
The girls on the front desk showed us around the hotel and made sure we were happy with our room.
The bar staff were Brilliant , not once did i see them look like they had a pain with there job.
All in all the best hotel i have ever stayed in and will be back again.

Room Tip: get a room with balcony
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
AdriaanBartels, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear robirish

Thank you for your very kind words and lovely review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my team looked after you well. They will be thrilled to read your comments.

Many thanks and best wishes

There are newer reviews for Cliff House Hotel

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We attended a family wedding at the hotel and from entering the car park we knew it was going to be an experience.

There is valet parking and staff lifting your bags for you without hesitation and a very welcoming and cheery receptionist. The hotel itself is decorated so beautifully modern whilst throwing in some rustic elements such as the library on the 2nd floor and treated brick work throughout the hallways.

Myself and my girlfriend stayed in room 64 which was spotlessly clean and fresh. An exquisite on suite bathroom which a fee standing tub and lots of complimentary creams and shampoos. The view was one of the best we have ever seen in Ireland, I have attached photos to show this. The TV has many options such as regular television or pay per views and there was also a dvd player for guests too not that we had the chance to use it.

The bed.... Oh my god the bed! Huge! Without a doubt the best nights sleep away from home I have ever had, it broke my heart to get out of that bed!

The venue for the evening reception was equally as welcoming, wood burners on the balcony were a lovely touch and although it rained the staff arranged for everything to be brought indoors within a few short minutes.

Breakfast.... Firstly we were brought tea/coffee with a large selection of pastries and jams. All of it must have been made from scratch as it was so full of flavour. There was an extensive breakfast menu consisting of Salmon, Kippers and Full Irish etc. The poached eggs were cooked perfectly and the bacon was clearly the highest quality.

I have left this to the end but it's worth more than a mention as the staff were at the top of their game, they truly could not do enough for you and when you asked it was done there and then, I believe they actually see that a paying customer is what keeps them going. One noticeable trait of all the staff was that even when walking through a corridor they would always acknowledge and greet you and be very pleasant.

Now don't get me wrong there were two things that I did not like about the hotel, one is trivial and the other probably isn't the fault of the hotel itself.

1) There is a mini bar with complimentary mineral water/tea/coffee etc. However there is a "Snack Pack" for 20 Euros which you have to purchase as a whole, you can't unfortunately purchase individual items.

2) The design and layout of the hotel is strange... We were confused that there are two third floors.... For instance to get from our room to another family member in room 30 you had to go across the hall, down two floors to reception, across the hall, up two floors in the lift, down a set of stairs and down a long winding corridor... Even more confusing when you have had a few, luckily the staff know the place like the back of their hand and they point you in the right direction.

All in all the Cliff House is an example of getting what you pay for, I would never hesitate to pay the price they charge for the standards and premium you receive.

I cannot wait to come here again!!!

Room Tip: Room 64 was beautiful and would recommend it.

Dear Kyle6432

Thank you for your very comprehensive and outstanding review.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your visit and that you were well looked after. Your two points have been taken on board - one we can do something about and the other is more difficult.
Nevertheless we are delighted that you will both be coming back to us again some time,

We look forward to your return,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here before we headed on honeymoon. Service and staff is top class. Pool area is fabulous. Went for deluxe room with balcony. Was worth it being able to take in view. Had meal in restaurant. Breakfast was lovely. Food was amazing. Will definitely return

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
AdriaanBartels, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Cork008

Thanks for reviewing us. We are really delighted that you enjoyed your stay and more so to hear that you will be returning - look forward to welcoming you back then.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

You can't always be sure why you loved a place. Was it the mood you were, the weather that prevailed, or a combination of factors which won't repeat for anyone else?

I just know that for me the stay in the Clifftop was really enjoyable for the two days I was there.

Yes it is expensive, but admittedly I did book it in a rush at the height of the holiday season, so I didn't manage to wangle any offers no doubt due to my panic.

It is not a big hotel, but I found it the perfect size for service but not cloying attention. The staff, particularly the front of house staff were very helpful and friendly.

I had a sea view with balcony and separate seating area screening the bedroom. It was very comfortable and tastefully appointed. The views over the bay were great. Even in stormy weather I could imagine this would be a very cosy place to visit, and watch the sea at a safe retreat.

Breakfast was excellent, and as has been pointed out elsewhere, you sit and have a wonderful view of the sea, and if its warm enough you can breakfast on the outside terrace.

I did not try the Michelin starred restaurant (closed on a Sunday and Monday). But I am not a foodie, and didn't miss this. The bar menu is fine, and we had a perfectly fine meal there.

The alternative meal booking in the village is the White Horse Inn.

Its a good jumping off place to visit the other parts of County Cork, as the N25 is a very good road, and is readily accessible from Ardmore.

There is the local beach in Ardmore for little children, and a Cliffside walk for the adults and older kids.

Maybe after a week or so you would suffer from 'Paradise syndrome' and hanker for somewhere a little livelier than Ardmore, but if you want you to relax in comfort for a short break, it would be hard to find anymore perfect in Eire.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear David376

Thank you for your lovely review - I really enjoyed reading it and I think you have captured the essence of the hotel brilliantly.

Next time please feel free to contact me in advance for that deal!

Looking forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back,

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I can only provide an opinion on the bar food. Having read some very mixed reviews here I was unsure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised.

The outstanding panoramic view gives the bar area a distinct advantage. I found the staff very helpful and the waiter very informative. My husband & I opted for fillet steaks, both of which were perfect. We had the warm chocolate puddings for desert, they'd been made with good quality chocolate & tasted delicious...

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 80Dee

Thank you for your review.

i am glad that you enjoyed your visit to the Bar Restaurant. Hopefully we will see you return again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 August 2014

There are no superlatives that don't apply to this hotel. It's the most welcoming, friendliest, classiest place to stay. It serves the best food in Ireland. It has the most attentive staff, the best view from any hotel swimming pool in the country, the most comfortable beds and biggest bath tubs. The tone is set by The General Manager, Adriaan, who greets you personally whenever he meets you and is not averse to serving tables and parking cars himself, showing by example what excellent service is all about. Here is a place where someone is definitely at the helm and everyone knows it. It's five star, but not snooty. From the reception to the restaurant to the spa, you are greeted and treated as a very welcome guest. Chef Martijn Kajuiter's talent is obvious in very dish. All look too pretty to eat and then taste even better. The outdoor hot tub gives you a view over the expanse of Ardmore bay. The Cliff Walk and Ardmore beach offer the chance to walk off some of the delicious calories. Tess in the restaurant is a little gem, friendly and attentive. Don't be put off by the prices here. Save up and then enjoy! It's worth every penny.

Dear Patricia K

We are all blushing from your superlative review. Thank you so much however it is easy to look after nice people.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back in the Autumn.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My wife and i went midweek as a birthday gift to my wife from a relative.
The room was modern and comfortable with a balcony overlooking the bay. The design of the hotel with each floor stepped back into the cliff and the roofing covered in grass gave the impression from the balcony that there was no large hotel. We partook in the health spa were we had a massage and swim and sauna. The restaurant and bar had fine balconies overlooking the bay and there is a path that winds down to the sea were you can find secluded seating areas to have a drink and relax. The path ends at the hotels own rock pool in the bay where you can swim in the sea, if you have snorkeling gear then take it with you. There are cliff walks from the hotel entrance and the town and harbour are a few minutes walk.
They staff were very helpful and when my wife realised she had forgotten some toiletries a staff member went to the village to purchase them
Wish we could have stayed a longer.
If you are adventurous there is an adventure centre in the harbor for snokeling, kayaking, surfing, rock climbing etc.
PS there is the one hole golf course where you can try your skill to land the ball on the 'green' floating on the sea. Don't expect to get the ball back unless you snorkel as well

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank H23h45df

Dear H23h45df

Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your visit.

Hopefully next time you won't have to snorkel to land the ball the on the green!

Best wishes

Adriaan Bartels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardmore
Castlemartyr Resort
Quality Hotel & Leisure Center Youghal
The Old Imperial Hotel
The Old Imperial Hotel
#2 of 7 in Youghal

Been to Cliff House Hotel? Share your experiences!