Cliff House Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
1,827 results
All reviewstasting menumichelin starmichelin restaurantoutdoor jacuzzicliff walkardmore baybar restaurantmain restaurantamuse bouchespecial treatrelaxation roomspa facilitiesoverlooking the seatop classamazing hotelterrace suitethe general manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Passing through the pretty village of Ardmore last Saturday my Bf and I spent a few hours doing the clifftop walk we passed the cliff House Hotel en route so when we finished our walk we popped back in to have a look around. The view really is beautiful and the evening we were there was particularly nice. We had a glass of wine and a coffee on the balcony of the bar. The wine was yum really really lovely and the coffee came with two biscuits and warm milk. Staff were attentive. There was certainly all the little touches that differentiate a four from a five star. However we did notice that the structure of the building was at the stage where it needed some investment. The stick on stone on the front was broken in places allowing you to see through to the blocks behind. The stone paving on the balcony was loose and different levels. The furniture in the bar was faded from the sun. No doubt the hotel has been trying to just keep afloat over the last few years but it needs reinvestment now as it's looking slightly tierd.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
AdriaanBartels, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Gaothmhor

Thanks for dropping in recently and for reviewing your visit. Our maintenance programme is ongoing and all those details you have highlighted are being attended to.

Hopefully you will be back for longer next time,

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed here for one night and cannot find any fault with the hotel .

Our room was so nice , the bath and the shower was was huge.
The spa and the pool is a must.
The views over the sea from nearly every part of the hotel was great.
We found it to be so peaceful and relaxing.
We had our meal in the bar resturant it was really nice.
The Breakfast the next morning was in a 3 course setting and again so really really nice.
If we had the time i would of stayed ffor another night .....or two :O)

For me the best part of the hotel was the staff , they could not be any more help full
from the moment we walked up to the hotel door it was all smiles and the man on the door asked how our day was going and if he could help us with any thing.
The girls on the front desk showed us around the hotel and made sure we were happy with our room.
The bar staff were Brilliant , not once did i see them look like they had a pain with there job.
All in all the best hotel i have ever stayed in and will be back again.

Room Tip: get a room with balcony
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear robirish

Thank you for your very kind words and lovely review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my team looked after you well. They will be thrilled to read your comments.

Many thanks and best wishes

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We attended a family wedding at the hotel and from entering the car park we knew it was going to be an experience.

There is valet parking and staff lifting your bags for you without hesitation and a very welcoming and cheery receptionist. The hotel itself is decorated so beautifully modern whilst throwing in some rustic elements such as the library on the 2nd floor and treated brick work throughout the hallways.

Myself and my girlfriend stayed in room 64 which was spotlessly clean and fresh. An exquisite on suite bathroom which a fee standing tub and lots of complimentary creams and shampoos. The view was one of the best we have ever seen in Ireland, I have attached photos to show this. The TV has many options such as regular television or pay per views and there was also a dvd player for guests too not that we had the chance to use it.

The bed.... Oh my god the bed! Huge! Without a doubt the best nights sleep away from home I have ever had, it broke my heart to get out of that bed!

The venue for the evening reception was equally as welcoming, wood burners on the balcony were a lovely touch and although it rained the staff arranged for everything to be brought indoors within a few short minutes.

Breakfast.... Firstly we were brought tea/coffee with a large selection of pastries and jams. All of it must have been made from scratch as it was so full of flavour. There was an extensive breakfast menu consisting of Salmon, Kippers and Full Irish etc. The poached eggs were cooked perfectly and the bacon was clearly the highest quality.

I have left this to the end but it's worth more than a mention as the staff were at the top of their game, they truly could not do enough for you and when you asked it was done there and then, I believe they actually see that a paying customer is what keeps them going. One noticeable trait of all the staff was that even when walking through a corridor they would always acknowledge and greet you and be very pleasant.

Now don't get me wrong there were two things that I did not like about the hotel, one is trivial and the other probably isn't the fault of the hotel itself.

1) There is a mini bar with complimentary mineral water/tea/coffee etc. However there is a "Snack Pack" for 20 Euros which you have to purchase as a whole, you can't unfortunately purchase individual items.

2) The design and layout of the hotel is strange... We were confused that there are two third floors.... For instance to get from our room to another family member in room 30 you had to go across the hall, down two floors to reception, across the hall, up two floors in the lift, down a set of stairs and down a long winding corridor... Even more confusing when you have had a few, luckily the staff know the place like the back of their hand and they point you in the right direction.

All in all the Cliff House is an example of getting what you pay for, I would never hesitate to pay the price they charge for the standards and premium you receive.

I cannot wait to come here again!!!

Room Tip: Room 64 was beautiful and would recommend it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kyle6432

Thank you for your very comprehensive and outstanding review.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed your visit and that you were well looked after. Your two points have been taken on board - one we can do something about and the other is more difficult.
Nevertheless we are delighted that you will both be coming back to us again some time,

We look forward to your return,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here before we headed on honeymoon. Service and staff is top class. Pool area is fabulous. Went for deluxe room with balcony. Was worth it being able to take in view. Had meal in restaurant. Breakfast was lovely. Food was amazing. Will definitely return

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
AdriaanBartels, General Manager at Cliff House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Cork008

Thanks for reviewing us. We are really delighted that you enjoyed your stay and more so to hear that you will be returning - look forward to welcoming you back then.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

You can't always be sure why you loved a place. Was it the mood you were, the weather that prevailed, or a combination of factors which won't repeat for anyone else?

I just know that for me the stay in the Clifftop was really enjoyable for the two days I was there.

Yes it is expensive, but admittedly I did book it in a rush at the height of the holiday season, so I didn't manage to wangle any offers no doubt due to my panic.

It is not a big hotel, but I found it the perfect size for service but not cloying attention. The staff, particularly the front of house staff were very helpful and friendly.

I had a sea view with balcony and separate seating area screening the bedroom. It was very comfortable and tastefully appointed. The views over the bay were great. Even in stormy weather I could imagine this would be a very cosy place to visit, and watch the sea at a safe retreat.

Breakfast was excellent, and as has been pointed out elsewhere, you sit and have a wonderful view of the sea, and if its warm enough you can breakfast on the outside terrace.

I did not try the Michelin starred restaurant (closed on a Sunday and Monday). But I am not a foodie, and didn't miss this. The bar menu is fine, and we had a perfectly fine meal there.

The alternative meal booking in the village is the White Horse Inn.

Its a good jumping off place to visit the other parts of County Cork, as the N25 is a very good road, and is readily accessible from Ardmore.

There is the local beach in Ardmore for little children, and a Cliffside walk for the adults and older kids.

Maybe after a week or so you would suffer from 'Paradise syndrome' and hanker for somewhere a little livelier than Ardmore, but if you want you to relax in comfort for a short break, it would be hard to find anymore perfect in Eire.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear David376

Thank you for your lovely review - I really enjoyed reading it and I think you have captured the essence of the hotel brilliantly.

Next time please feel free to contact me in advance for that deal!

Looking forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back,