“Another great stay!”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Mullingar
Charleville, Co cork. Ireland
“Another great stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Been here a few times and love the place..Bonus is that my dog goes for FREE which is brill.
Food is very tasty and great portions, lovely variety of meals. Perfect for seeing the town of Mullingar as on the top of main rd close to railway station (Trains pass by but not noisy).
Staff are very welcoming and helpful. Bar is lovely and spacious with great music every Saturday evening.
Hope to return here very very soon.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marynavin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Just spent a few days in the Newbury hotel, met by Garvan who was very nice and most welcoming. For a 3 star hotel it was lovely, the food was nice and the atmosphere was very homely. We had a room near the railway station, reviews had said it was noisy but i didnt notice it at all. The only downside was the shower, it got a bit cold but was certainly not enough to put me off staying there. I would definitely go back and the chinese restaurant downstairs was lovely.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ger9055
Ennis, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

very noisy with passing traffic in front and rail station at rear.
staff: the man was great but the women on reception in the morning not so helpful
showers run hot and cold and hot and cold
food: was very good, had breakfast and dinner there
we asked to change rooms as our first room was very grubby and smelled
location is very central

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

I just got back from a one night stay at this hotel. I booked the hotel via booking.com and read the reviews on tripadvisor before I went. Two of us stayed here and were 21 & 25 years old.

I checked in around 7pm and the guy who checked me in seemed pleasant but not too friendly. A smile and a welcome go a long way! He asked me to pay for my room which I thought was odd as I assumed my card had been charged after I made the booking. I paid but checked my online banking the next day and the money had been taken out so I mentioned this when I was checking out. I think it may have something to do with the fact that I used a visa debit card, so anyone else who has one just be aware of this. The very nice lady on reception today sorted it all out and refunded me the cash I had paid last night and authorized the transaction to go ahead on my card.

When I was checking in I asked for a room at the back of the hotel (based on the reviews here) and was given room 102. I had only booked a double room but this room had a double bed and a single bed too. It was spacious and decorated in an "Old World" type theme. A little old fashioned but very charming! Not to everyones tastes but I loved it. The bed did make creaking sounds when we got on it but that didn't bother us too much. The room was very clean and so warm. I seen a lot of previous reviews mentioning the rooms were cold - I was confused because our room was so hot that we left the bedroom and bathroom windows open a little bit for the whole night! There was tea/coffee making facilities. Apparently (according to their website/guestbook) there was free WIFI included but my iphone couldn't pick it up anywhere in the room I was given (102). Rooms had plenty of storage - chest of drawers and closet with hanging rail and shelves.

The bathroom was very big and modern. Not great natural lighting but that wasn't a huge dealbreaker! Good sized mirror and plenty of clean towels supplied. I hopped in the shower and had no problem with the water (it remained hot for me - I see other people have complained that it turned cold - I guess I was lucky!) However the "soap/shampoo" dispenser was empty, which was a bit of a let down, didn't discover that until I was already in the shower.

One major problem we had was that the train station was outside our window and the train ran directly under the hotel, which meant you are awoken every half hour after 5.30/6am. I didn't get to sleep until after 2am and I woke up twice because of the train (6am and again at 6.30am) so I just got up the second time as broken sleep is worse than none at all!

Location is perfect - in the very centre of Mullingar town. The train station is right beside the hotel and the bus stops about 5 minutes away. There is a shopping centre across the road, about a two minute walk with a few big stores (Penneys, M&S, M&S cafe, New Look, Dorothy Perkins and a sports shop) and plenty of small shops, bars and restaurants within a minutes walk from the hotel.

Check out was quick and simple, the lady on reception was much friendlier than the previous gentleman I encountered.

Overall I would recommend the hotel to anyone wanting to stay in the centre of town, a fan of "old fashioned" boutique hotels or someone who needs easy access to public transport. I did feel the room was slightly overpriced at €70 for week day, considering Mullingar is a small town and hotels of a similar standard in Dublin are cheaper.

Also, when I booked this hotel it said breakfast was included in the rate. When I checked in there was no mention of breakfast by the gentleman on reception and there was nothing about it in the guestbook in the bedroom. Usually when I check into a hotel I am told where breakfast is served and at what times. It turns out it was in the bar of the hotel but I didn't see this until I was checking out so it was too late to have anything.

Room Tip: Don't take room 102 unless you like listening to trains passing outside your window from 6am onw...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dee S
dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

stayed at the newbury for two nights recently. the room was big and comfortable, bathroom was a good size, breakfast was very good, thats the good points, now lets get down the the bad ones,1 the room we had was on the ground floor at the front, not good if you opened the curtains everyone walking past could see in to the room, no guessing we stayed in darkness for two days(lamps in room old fashioned so no real light) 2 when first person had a shower the water went from very hot to very cold to very hot etc etc and when second person went it was just cold water, that happend fri,sat, sun when reported to the man on the desk he said he,d look at it so we left tag on door,you know the one please clean, but when we got back he said it was the do not disturb sign(it wasnt) ,he did ask later if it was ok we said its the same so he replied he wouldnt put us in that room next time (was he taking the p.....) 3 cleaners came late afternoon when we wanted to relax and have a nap and no remote for the t.v and finally 4 the worst the residents bar closed 12.30, i ask you

Room Tip: dont take room to the front busy main rd
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
dublin ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

Stayed here for a weekend recently. Staff very helpful and friendly on our arrival. Our room was very spacious and clean, bed very comfortable. Breakfast was good and they did very reasonably priced dinners as well. A very short walk to the train and bus stop. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lava1dub
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed here with a group of friends, it was the ideal location for exploring the town itself and going out at night....
I loved the decor in our room... staying in alot of hotels with work.. i rarely have any reaction to the bedrrom but i did love the old world style of decor which was very spacious and we have 3 large single beds we clean crisp white bed linen. the reception was very friendly and welcoming.
The only thing i didnt love was the food. we had a quick snack on arrival and then the breakfast the following morning... but all in all i would stay here again and i would recommend i just wouldnt eat there :)

Room Tip: our group all seemed to have quaily nice rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank mail4ter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullingar
Annebrook House Hotel
#6 of 6 in Mullingar
Creggan Court
Creggan Court
#8 of 9 in Athlone

Been to Newbury Hotel? Share your experiences!