“Lovely hotel”
Review of Newbury Hotel

Newbury Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Mullingar
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on saturday 15th feb 2014 i arrived a little early and had no problem checking in. I was soppose to get a double room as i was on my own but i ended up with a twin. Room was very spacious and comfortable. Hotel was very clean and so quiet i got a really good nights sleep. Breakfast was fine they were happy to make porridge for me which was great nothing was too much trouble i asked for a late check out n it wasnt a problem the only thing lacking for me was the absense of toiletries in the bathroom not even a bit of soap to wash my hands!! I still would stay in this hotel again though

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank faith191
There are newer reviews for Newbury Hotel

Reviewed 27 December 2013

i was greeted on arrival by Manager/Owner. I was attending a party in that hotel that particular hotel. I was pleasantly surprised when he told me I would be served breakfast whenever I was ready for it the following morning.This was so refreshing and immediately thought it was a lovely thought and one i'm sure other travellers would appreciate.
After a great night's sleep, I went down to breakfast around 10 30 and found I was the only one at that time. Service was extremely slow, alot of toing and froing between receptionist/waitress and someone from kitchen. Eventually my breakfast did arrive, but it was a mini breakfast and was clearly heated up in microwave, and was also extremely fatty. This breakfast was the only black spot on a clearly enjoyable visit to this lovely hotel

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 779Doreen
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed here December 2013...lovely rooms, friendly staff...tight parking but available all the same! Would definitely recommend his place if staying in Mullingar. At €80 on a Thursday was ok value too.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anon186605
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Staff and food good but bedrooms are outdated big time. Stayed in a 4 star following two nights for the same price. Car park was a disaster.Spent 30 mins trying to figure out where the entrance was as there were no notices. Had to wait at empty reception desk for quite awhile before we got checked in. The bar area was ok and staff were very friendly. I certainly would not stay there again.Mullingar itself is a lovely town and there is plenty to do and I certainly would stay there again but in a different hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are very old fashioned. In need of a complete make over.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LetterkennyMary
MullingarClara48, Owner at Newbury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Our en suite bedrooms were newly built in 2004 and are all beautifully furnished as can be seen on our website. We paint all bedrooms every 2 years, and as all furnishings and beds etc are only a few years old I am very surprised that the Reviewer is suggesting that our Hotel rooms are due a revamp. I am also taken aback that the Reviewer could spend up to 30 minutes in our car park looking to enter the hotel, when there are 2 separate entrances from this (free parking) car facility to the inside of the Hotel, and both are clearly signposted. Our front desk is always manned, so needless to say this comment by the Reviewer is very mischievous indeed.

Garvan McGinley/Owner

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Upon arrival I was expecting the typical 'website much better than reality' scenario, but thankfully I could not have been more wrong. I was immediately made feel welcome by the receptionist who checked me in and then directed me around to the free car park. I had a wonderful (and very reasonably priced) meal in the bar before heading out to see family in Mullingar. When I returned I was again greeted and asked how my day was, customer service is clearly a priority for staff here! I was exhausted by the evening time and new I would not make it out of bed for usual breakfast hours the next day - I mentioned this to the manager and he kindly told me not to worry that he would be more than happy to serve me my breakfast at any stage throughout the day...a welcome change from the strict 7am-10am or no breakfast that I am used to. All in all a wonderful stay thanks to all the little things.

Room Tip: Mention at reception if you need wifi, some of the rooms have better signal.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed here on 10th October 2013 in a lovely clean room with a balcony overlooking the Royal Canal. This was a very pleasant first-time visit to Mullingar, made extra-comfortable (and relaxing) by our choice of staying at the Newbury Hotel. It's very centrally located with easy access to the canal for our morning walk. We found the owners and their staff very friendly and 'tuned in' to our service needs. Bar staff were attentive and knew how to make us 'feel at home'. They are quite obviously happy to work here. Breakfast was the best hotel breakfast we've had in a long time - the perfect start to the day !!

We hope to visit Mullingar again, and if we do - The Newbury Hotel will be our automatic choice for accomodation. The Newbury is easy to recommend. Thank you for your great hospitality.

Kevin & Marie

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights 6th/7th September 2013 with my Mum & Dad and although it was my First time visiting Mullingar i have to agree with my Parents (who have been at this hotel a few times) that it is a very friendly hotel and the staff are superb , Breakfast was delicious and Tea/Coffee facilities in room which was a lovely touch as nothing beats a cuppa when you first wake up! Many hotels don't have these facilities any more but the Newbury does.
I stayed in room 107 which was a lovely room with comfy bed and also free wifi in hotel. Mum & dad were in another room which had a double bed + a single bed all rooms were en-suite with bath/shower etc. Rooms were spotless as was Hotel .
Had to go to a Months Mind Mass up Ballymahon and return back to cork on the Sunday but will be back at this hotel -For once i agree that my parents( Mary & Paul) were right..this place was the best! Everything on your doorstep. Highly recommend this hotel. From Ellie.

Room Tip: Lift to all floors. Car Park. Bar with Music at weekends. Fab Food/Lunches/Evening Meals.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Ellie R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullingar
Annebrook House Hotel
#5 of 6 in Mullingar
Creggan Court
Creggan Court
#8 of 9 in Athlone

Been to Newbury Hotel? Share your experiences!