“Very Poor on customer service”
Review of Newbury Hotel

Newbury Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Mullingar
Ennis, Ireland
“Very Poor on customer service”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This hotel wouldnt be a bad place if the customer service was improved. A LOT.
The reception from the owners themselves leaves a lot to be desired and from what I can see they have trained the staff into their way of working.
I was NOT one bit impressed with the way me and indeed others from our group were treated during our stay.
Location wise its fine, the breakfast was ok, my room was clean but I believe others had some issues. For me it was the staff (in particuar the front of desk staff) that let it down and for that alone I wouldnt stay here again nor woud I recommend it

Room Tip: Make sure you have your booking in an email and bring your proof with you!
12 Thank MurrayEdwina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We were booked to stay in this hotel for 2 nights from the 14th-16th of March.i booked this 5 weeks in advance, and on the tues before we left the Friday I was called and told that the rates had gone up.this call was made by he duty manager who was extremely rude to me.he said that it wasn't his problem and we could go somewhere else if we didn't like it.i couldn't believe that they could nearly double the rate and then speak to me so horribly 2 days before we were due to leave.due to this we had to book somewhere else last minute as we had a wedding that weekend.this added so much added stress to us and I've never dealt with a hotel that would treat customers like this.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank Taniadoc
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This hotel offers a lot for what you pay for, I got a great rate two weeks ago and really enjoyed my stay. There's a lovely family vibe about The Newbury, the staff are extremely accomodating and I would highly reccomend it to any family. The bar food is very tasty and all for a reasonable price. I would definately return to this hotel in the near future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank stefan l
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I decided to go away for the bank holiday weekend to Mullingar as we hadn't been before, we booked into The Newbury based on a recommendation and I must say I was very impressed. The hotel was lovely, very clean, the staff were particularly friendly which I don’t find in most hotels. All of our meals were top class and I will certainly be paying another visit very soon. Also the location is perfect very central!

Room Tip: The new part of the hotel is beautiful - loved the interior!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Cliona M
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed at the Newbury Hotel with some friends, and was taken aback by the cold reception I got on check in. I was surprised that the receptionist demanded I pay in advance for the room. Most hotels take a security swipe of a card, and payment the following day. In any case I paid, and that was fine.

The room was spacious and adequate, and the bed was comfortable. As I have a bad back, I did appreciate the nice firm mattress. The lady I was sharing with did find a hair in her bed, which I removed and put in the bin.

The carpark is small, and the spaces are tight to get into, so I opted to use the public car park just down the road.

There was a problem with the hotel, and some confusion over the number of rooms booked. It eventually got sorted out, but only after one of our party threatened that we would all leave.

What surprised me at this point was the fact that the manager/ proprietor made no appearance. (he was having a pint, and watching from an alcove just the other side of reception.) This is my first ever experience of making a complaint in a hotel when none of the management made themselves available. While I appreciate that all staff require breaks, I found the lack of management involvement surprising and disappointing.

The location of the hotel is good, right near the centre of Mullingar. I had a room downstairs facing onto the car park. I didn't hear trains passing by, but there again, I am a heavy sleeper and it takes a lot to wake me!

Breakfast the next morning was delicious, freshly cooked. I would personally like to see more than orange juice on offer as a cold drink, but hey, I can get over that.

I gave some feedback to the proprietor of the hotel on check out, and she apologised for the way the receptionist spoke to me.

Having read some of the management responses on this, I wish to iterate that I am not trying to be mischeivous, although I may be middle aged.

So I'm giving 3 stars as my rating. Good breakfast, good location, comfortable beds. Unfortunately loses 2 for the lack of client engagement.

5 Thank Monica H
Ireland
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed here last weekend with a group of friends.
The hotel is centrally located, has a small carpark out back with tight space for about 14 cars. It's on the main street and right beside railway line so expect loud noise from trains as well as traffic. (You can see size of carpark, proximity of trainlines etc for youself on google earth)
The room was fine, dark but not too dated. I was very disappointed to find hairs in my bed when i pulled back the covers. Yuck! Bathroom was nice and clean. Tv only had 3 or 4 fuzzy channels so fairly useless.
Breakfast was fine and the server was pleasant and helpful.
The chinese restaurant under the hotel was also nice.

What let this hotel down for me was the reception staff. When I arrived to check in, the man said he couldnt find our booking, but let me go ahead and pay for a room. When I met with my group, I found that all our rooms had already been paid for. So we told the receptionist, this time a woman, that I'd been charged for an extra room. They didn't care. Even though it was their mistake, (she showed us the printout of our booking) they wanted US to pay for an extra room! After a LOT of unpleasant discussion, it was sorted out.
I also saw the same man shout at a child who was playing around in the reception. Luckily for the man, the child was not mine.

Overall, the hotel was fine, but expensive, for 3 star. Just don't expect a warm recepton!

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Louise_M3
Naas, Ireland
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed at this 'hotel' at the weekend. The manager apparently had an issue with members of the staff helping me to start my car?? My car wouldn't start - It has been acting up past few weeks. No one helped me to start it though - It took a few minutes but I got it started myself. Anyway - So what if a staff member did assist me?!.
I have also just been informed that the manager has been calling the group I was with 'middle aged' - I am 29, I shared a room with a friend who is 26, and my friend who's hen it was is 28!!
What is any of this about?! Why on earth would a so called professional hotel publicly defame its customers and make up a bunch of lies?
Very bad form.
I wasn't going to say a thing about the poor service, the filth of my bathroom, and the fact that I had to pay 15e more than I was quoted, but well now I have changed my mind!
This is not only a hotel that I will not be recommending, but I will be actively warning people against!

Room Tip: Don't chose a room on the main street as you will be kept awake from the noise level.
14 Thank Niamh M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullingar
Annebrook House Hotel
Crookedwood House
Crookedwood House
#5 of 6 in Mullingar
Moyvalley Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Newbury Hotel? Share your experiences!