“What a disaster !!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Austin Friar Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mullingar
Austin Friar Hotel
Ranked #19 of 20 Mullingar B&B and Inns
golden
“What a disaster !!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

As per other reviews, asked for payment up front on checking in (that should have sounded alarm bells at once). Easy to see why they do this, We have your money so complain as much as you like, we dont care. Rooms are very dated and look nothing like the photos on the website. Very basic and rooms were freezing. They dont do complaints and there is no management there to complain to, even though I dont think it would make a difference if there was. Very disappointed with rudeness and attitude of staff and management. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I could go on and on, but i'll leave it at that, out of respect to the Managers (who know me well)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank tomhilda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Myself and my partner decided to book the Austin Friar for Valentines weekend to get away from normality for a few days.
When we arrived we were greeted by a very polite young male on reception. When we were checking in we were asked for the payment up front, which is the first I have heard of this in hotels I have previously stayed in. This member of staff was there to run the reception, the bar and by the looks of it everything else in the hotel alone.
We went straight up to our room, on entering the room I was fairly surprised as it was nothing like the pictures on their website. The room was clean but very out dated in ways of decor and design. The TV in the room was an old box portable with 4 or 5 stations. When it came to the tea and coffee in the room the kettle took almost 15 minutes to boil and to be honest looked like something from the 1980's. There where 3 or 4 milk, 4 teabags and 3 sachets of coffee. on the 2nd day we called down to reception to ask if we could get more coffee and were told that they don't supply more.
The room we received was facing on to Supervalu's roof, Which didn't bother us too much until night time when there cooling unit or air conditioning was running and was making it hard to sleep.
There is no nighttime reception. We were told that the front door ids locked from 10pm and were given a key.
Over all I would not stay at this hotel again.
This is definitely not a "boutique" Hotel as it advertises. In my opinion it was more like a B&B.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda R

Travellers are raving about these Mullingar hotels

Trim, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We booked this hotel online, there were 4 couples, 2 couples arrived earlier. When we got to the hotel there was no one in the "reception" so we had to wait for a man to appear, he was extremely rude when he did show up. We told him who we were and he asked for payment for all 4 rooms up front! We explained that there 2 other couples to follow and that we would pay for our rooms now and that they would pay for theirs when they arrived, in less than an hour! He refused this and said we'd have to wait for the others or pay now, that was policy.
I have to honestly say that he was the rudest man I've had the misfortune to meet in a long time and can promise that I will never stay or recommend this particular hotel.
Needless to say, none of us will go to this hotel or recommend this hotel to any of our friends....

Room Tip: We didn't even get to see a room, we weren't allowed leave the reception area!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Scoobyssue
Lurgan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed @ the Austin Friars Hotel in Mullingar as part of a Valentines weekend with my wife & after staying @ Hamlet Court this was a bit disappointing. The staff are friendly but the hotel is very dated & tired looking with spacious rooms but not much in the way of furniture. It had a table with mismatched chairs & an old tv. The room was clean but basic. The bathroom was clean but cold & basic with an area for hanging clothes in between the room & bathroom. It was ok for the 1 night but wouldn't stay for more than 1 night, if again. The best part of the hotel is the staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Athlone, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

A group of us girls booked into this hotel on the 8/2/2014 for a hen party.As soon as we arrived we were told we could not book in until everybody was there and then we had to pay for the room altogether along with the buffet,We were made feel very unwelcome from the minute we arrived.We were charged 15 euro each for a so called buffet which turned out to be finger food(cocktail sausages,sandwiches chicken strips,mini spring rolls,chicken wings and mini sausage rolls and a bowl of chips).We would of been better going across to the chippers to eat as we were all starving for the night.The room was very cold and very basic.The so called manager is rude and should not be in a job were he can't treat the paying guest the way they should.I would not recommend that hotel to anybody not a very nice stay.I would rather sleep in a cardboard box than stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not stay there
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Samantha208
Ankaran, Slovenia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed one night in this hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful, our room was very large and comfortable. The bathroom wasn't very clean as there was a quite large spider web ( it could be done in a day or two) and TV was very small and situated on the floor. The breakfast was very good. Overall a good stay for a reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel for a 1 night stay at the end of September. I rang the hotel, out of courtesy, to inform them that we would be late checking in as my husband had to work late. The receptionist rudely told me that check in finishes at 10pm and that, even though there would be a night porter on duty, that we would not be able to check in when we planned to arrive at 11pm! I was astonished!!! Never before have I encountered an establishment that was completley unwilling to accommodate their guests. I asked for the owner to ring me the very next morning to discuss the matter further as I was told that we would still be charged!! They could not check us in but we were still going to be charged the full price! By 2pm, when I still hadn't received a phone call, I rang again. A different receptionist answered, they were just as rude as the first. They informed me that the owner will not be returning my call and that I needed to send an email to the accounts department to deal with the issue of my card being charged. The email from the accounts department was terribly rude also. Not one person seemed at all phased my by complaints. They all must obviously hear so many complaints that by now they don't care anymore. I have worked in hotels for the last 10 years and I have NEVER been treated or spoken to in such as disgraceful manner before! We were forced to find alternative accommodation in Mullingar. We stayed at The Greville Arms Hotel in the town and their night porter had no problem in checking us in at 11pm, as one would expect! He even offered us a cup of tea after our long journey! The Greville Arms was amazing, we ended up staying two nights! Do not stay at the Austin Friar Hotel, they don't care about you as a guest, they just want your money!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple