“Had a ball!!”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Mullingar
Dublin, Ireland
“Had a ball!!”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My best friend got married here last week. I must say that the staff were great. I had booked in for two nights.

I had booked a twin smoking room. I didnt check in as i was one of the bridesmaids so my mother checked in for me which was great. When i went to my room it was a small double room, i went down to the front desk . i was offered another room but not a smoking room. So I decided to keep my room as it was fine.

The food at the wedding was out of the world!! All of the food we had that weekend was lovely so can not complain about that..

A part of my deal i got a 100euro voucher for the spa, so i booked in about a week before for a couple of treatments. Laura looked after us, she ws fab, clearly new her job well.

Bar staff were great.some of the rooms could do with dating but overall i loved my stay I will be back to stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lindadub11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Ireland
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We booked the Bloomfield house hotel for our Mam's birthday celebration, in all there were 29 of us including adults/teens and children. We all enjoyed our stay here for the weekend and the staff couldn't have been friendly or more efficient - everyone was commenting on them - we never had any problem from the time we emailed reservations to book to when we checked out! The family rooms are a really good size with double & two single beds, with lovely view down to the lake. We'll all be back again and can't wait!!

Room Tip: Family rooms overlooking lake
1 Thank IrelandWeekender
Wexford
Reviewed 28 June 2011

we went for a quick 2 night break with out the kidss overlookin.The Hotel is over looking a lake complete withswans. Huge oudoor area, looked very safe for kids, complete with little play area with slide etc. The food was fab and very fresh & hot. The staff were so nice and helpful couldnt do enough for you. Great Big Bar area with music with plenty of room to dance.We upgraded to a suite, well worth it, the four poster bed was divine to sleep on and so comfortable, we cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: up grade to a suite, well worth it
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank timmycarroll
belfast
Reviewed 28 June 2011

stayed here around easter and said i would return and have just booked again.
hotel is set in superb surroundings overviewing the lake with a paved walk from the grounds to the waters edge.
the hotel itself is welcoming in its reception area , i would imagine it is popular for weddings with the views.
it may lack the modern feel that too many hotels have now but im of the opinion that it only adds character.
therefore the corridors are just that , the room we had was a family room which comfortably slept the 4 of us. one double and 2 singles for the kids.
all the usual bedroom and bathroom stuff.
one thing of note is the view we had of the lake and the ambience of reading the morning paper from my room and admiring the views.
breakfast was dead on , again standard and what one would expect.
dinner was part of my room rate and again was nice , standard set menu really.
lunches and snacks for the kids were on offer most of the day with a popular carvery on offer.
what made the break perfect for us was the kids club , the kids loved it.
you could see a bit of effort was made for the kids by the staff , simple things like a bouncy castle gave the kids hours of entertainment.
simple rule ..... if the kids are happy and entertained then you will have a relaxing break.
the kids club ran for a couple of hours in the morning which gave us time to get ready and plan the day , then ran again in the evening where the kids watched movies and played games , again perfect as it allowed us a meal and drink in the hotel.
i asked the kids if they wanted a break for a few days and they both demanded to go back , they are 10 and 8. so thats good enough review for the kids club.
also mullingar is one of those places i wouldnt of been in a hurry to visit , however there is so much to do and see in the area , 3 days wasnt enough last time to looking forward to returning and exploring more.
to summarise , a hotel with character in beautiful surroundings with kids being made very welcome.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank hawkwind23
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Myself and my partner needed a break and decided earlier in the week to book the Saturday night away. We decided on this hotel as it was advertised as a quiet, relaxing venue. We're in our mid-twenties but were uninterested in going out in the town as we were very intent on relaxing.

No complaints about the food - my partner was thrilled with the lunch, dinner and breakfast we had at the hotel. We had intended on going to the bar for a drink after dinner and to enjoy the live music but I hadn't been well during the week and we decided to call it a night instead.

We watched tv for a while and at 10.30pm we turned it and the lights off. 5 minutes later a loud noise boomed and our bed vibrated. That was the point that we realised our bedroom was located over the bar and the booming noise was the amp of the band being set up. We waited a few minutes and once their set started and we realised that the only way it could be any louder would be if the band were playing in the bed beside us!!! I rang the reception and told the girl that it was far too loud and asked if it could be turned down. She noted our room number (dreaded 301) and said she would do that.

About 15 minutes later and with the sound as loud as ever we recieved a call from the manager Pat. He spoke to my partner who told him that the noise was unacceptable and asked for a solution to be offered. He said he knew the room we were in, that there were no free rooms in the hotel and said we should have been informed at check in that the room we were staying in is notoriously loud. My partner told him that we obviously had not been told this or we would not have checked in! She asked why we had been placed in the "dud" room as we had checked in before check in at 3pm to which he could not offer an explanation. We can only assume that we were put there because we are young and they were taking the chance that we may have been out drinking for the night. He also informed us that the rooms on either side of us were unoccupied - lucky for all the other guests who didn't have to endure the noise we thought!

He invited us to come to the bar to have a few drinks but as my partner told him "if we wanted to be in the bar, we'd be in the bar". She said that I was unwell and that we wanted to get a nights sleep. She asked that the music be turned down and he said that it was quite low. She told him that our bed was vibrating and that we could hear the words being spoken to the crowd and that it was unacceptable. We were then told that it would be stopping at 12.30am but my partner said that was not ok and that it needed to be stopped if it couldn't be turned down. Pat said that he had 400 people in the bar that wanted music to which my partner replied that there were two guests in bed that had a right to sleep in the bed they had rented for the night.

We gave up and lay in bed listening to the noise below including "Joe Dolan Bingo" and announcements about a car in the parking lot that had it's headlights left on. The band finally finished their set at 12.40am and we thought we may finally get some sleep. Unfortunately that was not to be. The bar was still full of people and a singsong started up. My partner went downstairs at about 1.40am asking would there be any let up during the night. She was told by the night receptionist that the bar would be open until 4am. At 3am I rang the reception again and asked them to ask the people in the bar to quieten down as we were still unable to get any sleep. The receptionist told me that they had already been asked to do so i.e. tough!

So our night of hell in the Bloomfield Hotel finally finished and we were disappointed to note that of the three different staff members we spoke to during the night (two different receptionist and the on-duty manager) that not one had even offered an apology. Also no practical solutions were offered such as offering us a late check out so we could get some sleep in the morning or breakfast sent to the room.

My partner spoke to the very polite and helpful manager Michael that morning who had a record of all our interactions with staff from the night before. The first thing he did was offer his apologies which was appreciated. He listened to all my partners complaints and agreed that no solutions had been offered. He told my partner that he would offer us a discount to which my partner told him she expected as we were unwilling to pay for a room that we had been unable to sleep in. He then told us that the remaining balance on our bill would be forgotten about and we were happy to accept that. We are still awaiting a call from the General Manager to complain to him - I wont hold my breath.

I would not in any situation return to this hotel. Our relaxing night away resulted us in being more stressed and totally sleep deprived than before we went.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms 300-304
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank VonnieGrealy
Dublin
Reviewed 26 June 2011

stayed here for one night with my husband and son.got a good deal of 98 euro bb and dinner.had to pay extra for sons dinner but it wasonly a tenner for 3 courses.check in very quick.room was small enough and could use some modernisation..ie a flat screen tv.also there was only tea and no coffee. bathroom was really big and nice though.
Leisure center was ok...its not just for hotel guests so it was busy.went for a walk down to the lake before dinner.really fab walk.the grounds are just stunning.
dinner was a bit of a let down...the service was very slow.we got our starters quick enough but we were sitting with our empty plates in front of us for a good 20 mins and had to wait a further 20 mins for the mains.That said the food was really really good and the staff serving were really pleasent.Breakfast was fine.
Id more then likely come back as the grounds are breathtaking and the food yummy.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my wife and son, we were attending a family wedding over two days. Here is my feedback from my two day stay.

Check in: Fast and efficient but lacked the "welcoming touches"

First impressions of the hotel: A little old and in need of a fresh make over.

Room: Above average sized rooms with standard facilities. Bathroom was big but rather drab looking. View was over a roof looking to the back of the hotel. Old Tube televisions with basic channels. Cleanliness: OK, there was a false nail on our bathroom floor and should have been taken away if the floor was cleaned properly by housekeeping before we arrived. Light sleepers beware, You can hear all noise from other rooms and corridors, fortunately I am a deep sleeper and I slep well but my wife and other members of the party had problems with noise.

Bar: Lovely big bar and was in my view the most modern part of the hotel. Bar staff were very attentive and there was a average selection of beverages.

Food:
Carvery food in the bar was wonderful and tasty.
Food at the wedding was below standard.
Restaurant food and service was dire, service very very slow and food was tasteless, felt like it was prepared by a cook rather than a professional chef. After finishing our main courses last night gravy was delivered to the table but the main courses had been consumed, very poor service. No gourmet food here folks.
Breakfast: Again not good enough. There are no pastries here such as croissants etc and the quality and taste of the food was not very good. Warning, when I asked for a vegetarian breakfast I was told they dont really do them, ie, veggie sausages etc. There are Juices, yogurts and cereals on the cold side and then eggs, bacon, sausages, pudding, beans and tomatoes.

Grounds: Nice, there is a beautiful lake and open fields and nice outdoor seating areas for good weather.

Kids: There is a small playground with slide and play house and sand pit. Although I did not swim in the pool my sister said it was very nice and child friendly.

Staff: The staff were very nice and helpful and worked hard.

Check out: Very quick and much nicer than check in. With more interaction.

Summary: A hotel that I would award 2.5 stars overall, would I go back? No.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullingar
Mullingar Park Hotel
#5 of 6 in Mullingar
Newbury Hotel
Newbury Hotel
#6 of 6 in Mullingar

Been to Bloomfield House Hotel, Leisure Club & Spa? Share your experiences!