“The Breakfast Experience”

Mullingar Park Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Mullingar
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I had breakfast in this hotel on five consecutive days recently and would like to share my experiences with anyone interested.
The dining room is spacious and comfortable and the tables are set with white linen cloths and presentable silverware. The music is of the classical variety and is set at quite a low volume so it is not obtrusive. Breakfast is an all self-service affair which is situated in a well set out anteroom off the main dining area. This helps to keep clutter and human traffic to a minimum.
The hotel has come up with a neat solution to the slight burns one gets when opening the covers of the several bains-marie used to keep the food hot. And that is to tie a cloth table napkin around the handle. Brilliant! And the plates are heated in a plate-stack warmer which however could have been set a little hotter in my opinion.
As for the food: the orange juice is described on the menu as been freshly squeezed but it is not. And why is it not freshly squeezed? Is it so difficult to do? In Paris recently I was given a knife to cut the orange and the citrus press took 30 seconds of work. It was worth the effort. It always is when you taste the result!
Back in Mullingar there is a good variety of foods on offer including smoked salmon and fresh fruits galore and there is also a white fish option but no kippers which surprised me somewhat. On several mornings I had the pancakes which were of the French crepes variety and which I really enjoyed. On another occasion I had the fry from the buffet which was not too bad. However the sausages were described as being golden fried. But I have news for the chef! When I came to them they were almost black and that was quite early in the morning. And the black and white puddings were crusty on the outside from hanging around keeping warm which makes them a somewhat unpalatable. However to make up for that the coffee and the cakes and breads were all first-class. And there is a large lounge to relax in afterwards if one has the time.
Essentially, in spite of the criticisms, breakfast here was mostly a satisfying experience particularly when I had the pancakes which were really very good. And at €15 for the full meal or €10 for the continental variety it represents very good value for money. Recommended for the hungry early morning traveller.

Room Tip: I did not stay in the hotel so I cannot make a recommendation.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Mullingarparkhotel, General Manager at Mullingar Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for reviewing your breakfast experience with us. Your comments will be given the attention they deserve so our chef is aware of the issues your raise. Otherwise thank you for your observations as we do appreciate feedback such as yours.

With my best regards,

Matt O'Connor
Managing Director

Reviewed 14 May 2014

One of the best hotels I have stayed in! We are spending our second night here in the Mullingar Park hotel. We have found the staff friendly and pleasant. The room was large with double and single bed. Spotless, flat screen TV, tea and coffee in room, bottles of water provided also. The beds were the most comfortable I have slept in. Sheets and towels (fluffy) changed daily, bathroom spotless with shower gel, body lotion, shower hat, soap, etc. The breakfast was very good with a good selection. The tea, milk, toast was served to your table. The evening meal in the restaurant (which was included in our package) was delicious with good selection. All over an excellent hotel which I would recommend to friends. But we could not find much to do in Mullingar town!

Room Tip: Second floor room 213 was quiet and had a good outlook.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
CRM123456, General Manager at Mullingar Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read your praise for the hotel. Should your travels bring you back to Mullingar we could certaintly suggest some things to do in the area. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, MOC

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed for a night with evening meal . Couldn't fault it . On arrival ,we were greeted by the scent from the fresh flowers in the grand foyer , Staff couldn't be more helpful and the room was very comfortable and clean . Our room was on the first floor over the bar which had music on that night and the sound did travel .The meal was 30 euro each for a 3 course meal and it was very good quality and delicious . Breakfast the next morning was just as good. Huge selection to choose from including a hot cooked breakfast . Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family .

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the 1st floor above the bar
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mullingar-Park, General Manager at Mullingar Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Reviewer Thank you for reviewing the Mullingar Park Hotel I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff helpful and friendly. Customer service is of utmost importance to us and the team will be delighted with your compliments.
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mullingar Park Hotel in the near future.
Kind Regards,Matt O Connor

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend. Rooms were spotless and bed was comfortable.
Only two issues-the lady at reception on Saturday morning was quite rude, we asked her where we should go for breakfast, she didn't look up just pointed at a door. A sign in reception would save her the hassle of having to point!
Also at breakfast there was no water, you had to ask the waitress for water which seemed like a big deal. Other than that I enjoyed my stay. The food in the restaurant was top notch and the waiter was very attentive without overbearing.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Watsie117

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel, your dinner experience and the waiter that served you during your recent stay with us. I can only apologise for the receptionist pointing at the restaurant door at breakfast, but we do have a sign in reception which clearly states "Breakfast". Please accept our most sincere apologies if it wasn't visible on the morning in question.

With My Best Regards & Wishes,

Matt O'Connor
Managing Director

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here last weekend as we were attending a show in the hotel. From booking the hotel to checkout I could not fault the place. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There was free and fast wi-fi all over the hotel including in the room which is a first for me. We had dinner in the bar before the show which was fantastic and likewise breakfast in the restaurant the next morning. We also use the leisure centre and likewise again found it faultless. Overall very enjoyable stay and would highly recommend the hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mullingar-Park, General Manager at Mullingar Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to note your kind comments regarding the food, leisure centre, staff and our WiFi offerings. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mullingar Park Hotel in the future. Kind regards, Matt O Connor .

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Rooms are compact but clean. There's a gym and swimming pool which is great although the restaurant should be avoided purely on price. Staff very pleasant and accomodating. Good location just off the n4.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank conorhalpin

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to note your kind comments regarding our staff, leisure facilities and location. With regard to the restaurant we do offer additional options for dining in the Horsehoe Bar area and pride ourselves in offering value for money to all our guests. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mullingar Park Hotel in the future. Kind regards, Matt O Connor

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Had a lovely relaxing stay here with my husband in September 2013. Bright, spacious reception area. Staff freindly and helpful. Rooms clean and nicely decorated. Excellent dinner and breakfast. We paid extra for the late (4pm) Sunday checkout and spent some of the time relaxing in the leisure suite. I would certainly stay here again and would have no hesitation in recommending it to family and friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer. Thank you for your review and I am delighted to note your kind comments regarding the food, decor and leisure centre. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mullingar Park Hotel in the future. Kind regards, Matt O Connor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullingar
Bloomfield House Hotel, Leisure Club & Spa
Newbury Hotel
Newbury Hotel
#6 of 6 in Mullingar
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Mullingar Park Hotel? Share your experiences!