“Local Landmark”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Mullingar
Dublin, Ireland
“Local Landmark”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is a landmark in the centre of the town,and has been for many years.It is an old fashioned hotel,which is not necessarily a bad thing.The carvery is the focal point of the hotel for non residents,for breakfast and lunch,which are busy periods.The food is plain and plentiful,and reasonably priced.The only negative thing is that when you get your meal from the carvery,by the time you get through the till area,your meal has cooled considerably.A second pay station would speed things up a lot.Staff are helpful and friendly.

1 Thank WindsorP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Mullingar, Ireland
Reviewed 22 April 2014

the greville arms is a family owned hotel in the centre of Mullingar town,It has a real community

spirit.The manager and staff are friendly and will go out of their way to be helpful.I feel

this is very important especially for foreign visitors who need to feel safe away from home.

the town is very compact

Shops arts centre and ceili music venues are all within a short walk from the hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Newtownards
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed here at Easter and had a lovely time. We were at front of hotel and with no double glazing and old sash windows it was very noisy into the small hours. There is also no lift in hotel so suitcases had to be carried up stairs and there are quite a few to climb. Food in hotel is extremely good and plenty of it if required and very tasty. The staff are very friendly but I would suggest the cleaning staff are given a course on what is required off them to keep rooms clean. Our bathroom door (room 104) had a layer of dust on door panels which had not been cleaned for a few weeks.
Overall hotel is very good but needs a bit of money spent on it.

Room Tip: Top class it is not but staff and food excellent.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
County Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed here at this centre of town location on St Patrick's Weekend 2014. I arrived on Saturday afternoon and had my dinner in the carvery. I was then ready for the 6 nation decider between Ireland and France. There was a great atmosphere in the bar during the match...and the cocktail sausages etc. were produced free gratis. I stayed in a triple room (there were 3 of us who were attending a wedding in another hotel). The room was good value: a good shower and comfortable bed (all I wanted for a weekend like this). The buffet breakfast the next morning definitely set me up for the day. This was really good value. Low and behold, when I returned home I found that I had left my charger behind. No problem! I rang the hotel and it was duly posted out the next day (to my relief).Thank you for a great stay and service, Greville Arms.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank NoelL73
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Unfortunately we had our stay spoiled by other guests staying at the hotel. We arrived back after a good night out in Mullingar (which has some top class pubs and restaurants) and stopped off in the residents bar. Although we did not realise it at first the other guests there were on a Stag Night and had taken too much to drink. They become very aggressive and load to the point we had no choice but to leave the bar for fear of an incident. In fairness when we reported the aggressive behaviour to staff they did speak to the worst offenders but with little effect.
On the positive side the location in the centre of town is good and the hotel is good value. When checking out the receptionist couldn’t have been more apologetic. However after our experience, I don’t think we will be back.

1 Thank Liam N

Travellers are raving about these Mullingar hotels

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 24 March 2014

on friday the 7th of march i took a seven hour trip to mullingar to spend the weekend with my good lady, we were in fact booked into the austin friers,but when i got there they demanded cash payment in full up front, i had my visa card with me the same one i used to book the room with(the card had money on it to pay in full) the person on the desk was very unhelpful, at one point she went to see the manager, she came back and told me that the manager said that i have to pay cas in full before i get a room , when i asked to see the manager she claimed that he was off that day ( a friday? a hotel with no manager? ) she is a liair, whom was it that she had been talking to in the other ? never again would i go to the austin friers, and i strongly advice everyone to avoid them at all costs . i left the austin friers and went to the greville arms (which i had stayed in before) the management and staff where wonderful, i got a room for us to stay in for the weekend, we both enjoyed our weekend at the greville, the food is first class, the rooms are comfortable and warm, the hot water works (unlike some hotels) we had everything we needed, . over all i can say that the greville is a wonderful hotel with great staff, a big thank you to all the staff and management at the greville

1 Thank Paul W
Mullingar
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

If you ever go across the sea to Ireland,Please don't leave it to the closing of your day.
We have just spend a week in Mullingar doing thins, and we stayed in the Greville Arms during that time, both my wife and I can only say what a wonderful experience we had, lovely warm double bedroom that we just flopped into had a great night sleep, woken up fresh after a great sleep, showed came down where we where offered full Irish that we can only say it's the best food in the world.through our stay at the Greville Arms our every need was catered for.A special thanks to the Management John and Karen and all the staff, on a one to ten scale we give it ELEVEN.We highly recommend it.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullingar
Mullingar Park Hotel
#5 of 6 in Mullingar
Hotel Castlepollard
Hotel Castlepollard
#1 of 1 in Castlepollard

Been to Greville Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!