“Nice stay”
Review of Mercure Algeciras

Mercure Algeciras
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Algeciras
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We had an apartment suite and found the rooms to be large and clean. Great climate control and spacious. Kitchen was OK with good equipment but no coffee maker or wine opener. Overall a great stay. We had a small issue with room service on the last night. One meal was not delivered because they ran out of the item but we were never notified. Re-ordered another meal afterwards and it was fine. Hotel is away from the downtown area and not convenient to many restaurants or shops.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ASMClermontFd

Reviewed 24 April 2013

The rooms are really Clean and very big. The kitchen is big and new. A very big plus for us was the fact that there is a whole gym with classes all through the evenings and mornings, free of charge, to use at the second floor. The hotel is easy to find down the harbour and just a few minutes walk to some very good restaurants. A nice and very cheap Place to stay if you are travelling by car. Free parking by the street just 50 metres from the entrence.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Had a great stay here. The room was spacious - fun to have a fully revolving tv between sofa and bed - small things!! All in all good furnishings. Bathroom was also high quality, the only critisism would be the block of stone you stand on in the shower did wobble a bit.

Front of house staff were very friendly and accomodating.

We really used this hotel as a base to visit Gibraltar, and glad we did. We didn't see any nicer hotels on the 20 minute drive to Gibraltar. And it was really fantastc value for what you get.

Highly recommend. Tip: park just outside hotel or on road for free rather than paying for hotel car park.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Katie H
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I ALWAYS BELIEVE IN SECOND CHANCES SO THIS REVIEW IS IN DAY 1 and DAY 2 FORMAT

Room 704

DAY 1

I actually live only a few miles from this hotel but having work done to my house I looked on the net for an apartment-hotel and found this one. I work many months of the year in the USA and always stay in Homewood Suites and feel very comfortable there so was expecting the same thing or very similar. Rates seemed reasonable. I wanted a smoking room which they had when I called. When I arrived on a Friday mid afternoon the man on the desk was charming. Although I speak reasonable Spanish he talked to me in my native English. The room was confirmed as smoking apartment room and he persuaded me very easily to upgrade to his most expensive room, a "junior suite" which was pretty cheap anyway so I agreed. When I got to the room the first thing I notice is no microwave!!! Big mistake. Having prepared for my 2 day stay-away I had bought microwave meals from Morrisons in Gibraltar. There was a proper oven and even a washing machine - but no microwave. Its not as if I am going to cook a lasagne or a chicken casserole - the oven is just pointless. And a hotel should have laundry service - if you did wash your clothes, where do you dry them? This just isn't thought out - why spend all that money on two things you don't need when the one thing you do need is 25% or less of the cost.

Then the next big mistake: the apartment is actually like a bed-sit but with a wall in the middle. One side is the bed - very nice, flat screen TV. The other a nice new leather sofa - facing a wardrobe - no TV!!! Who in their right mind sits on the sofa and watches a wardobe !? This is most certainly the most "junior" of suites I have ever seen ... and again, nobody has thought about this most basic point.

The patio was nice, views uninspiring but this is Algeciras so I wasn't expecting to see a glistening ocean or a marina. But there is no table, no chairs, no sun loungers - so again, whats the point in it? You can't use it for anything - not even drying clothes!

I specifically checked a "smoking hotels" website to find this place - whether you agree or disagree with smoking is irrelevant, I wanted somewhere to get away and "feel at home" for the weekend whilst I could not use my own house, and I smoke, so there! I called before I booked and checked they had smoking rooms. The charming man on reception confirmed it was a smoking room. In the room there was no signs saying no smoking as you usually would expect if you had made a mistake. But there were no ash-trays. Later I went to reception and asked for an ashtray. The young lady there spoke no English at all and looked at me as though I was some tramp who had wondered in the door (I was dressed in scruffy T-shirt and shorts and flip flops ...) - she was surly and unfriendly - and told me that I could not smoke in the room only outside. I thought she made a mistake so I asked her again - no she says, only on the patio and we don't have any ashtrays .... what a joke. She even said with a slightly threatening tone that the room has a smoke detector which will tell if I smoke in there. This woman would be better finding a job somewhere which doesn't involve dealing with the public. I went back upstairs feeling like a second class citizen whereas the man on reception when I arrived made me feel important and very welcome. Manager take note: promote this guy and get him to train his colleagues.

TV - aside from there only being one and it being on the bed-side of the room - only Spanish channels. WHEN will the Spanish hotel industry learn about info-tainment. They should provide English TV channels - it must cost a fraction for a hotel to get Sky TV. Hundreds of thousands of English-only speakers use your hotel market every year. You need to wake up and provide what the customer wants, not the most budget option available to you. Thankfully I brought plenty of DVD's expecting this, which I ended up watching on my tiny laptop screen, perched on a bedside table I arranged between sofa and wardrobe. How "not at home" did I feel by this point ....

Parking - 10 euro's a day ... car park was empty. Too expensive - should be free in a place like Algeciras.

And lastly - the internet - free which is good but actually nothing special these days - but so slow its good enough for emails but to watch video stream (as there is no English TV ....) is useless. I tried an Internet Speedometer and it actually timed out it was so slow. I down loaded ONE SONG on You Tube - it took over 1 hour. Its un-usable.

Good points: interior design is nice.

In summary: this just isn't thought out from the guest point of view. It all looks nice ..... it just doesn't work properly. Get a consultant in for a few days, hell even ask a guest or two to come and give advice. But don't carry on like this or you will be closed within a year.

DAY 2

Shower has virtually no water pressure on this floor - spent ages dribbling what water did come out over me - took ages.

Breakfast buffet looks elaborate but strangely on closer inspection looked like one of those show flat kitchens you see - lots of little bowls of pepper, spice, salt etc. but actually it was basically a continental breakfast - ham, bread, cheese, tomato slop and oil. Get your own coffee. Toast your own bread. Exactly what I expected from a Spanish hotel. Oh and I met my lovely friend from reception yesterday who barked at me "Room number?" as I walked in. I think this lady must have worked in a prison or army camp before she worked for NH Hotels.

After breakfast I slept for a bit then worked until about 2pm. Was a little surprised not to get the usual knock at the door from the cleaners but I though to myself - nice touch, they let people sleep in. Outside the lift/room 704 were cleaners buckets and bags of rubbish so I expected them to dive in pretty much as soon as I left. Returned about 6pm - the room was exactly as I left it!!! The bags of rubbish by the lift were also still there .... thought about complaining but the thought of having to talk to Franco's grandaughter on reception again made me think again.

Decided to try and use the kitchen again - this time I had some things in cans since as you will see from day 1 - no microwave ... now I find there isn't even a can-opener! The entire kitchen inventory was: one fork, two blunt knives, a tiny saucepan and two plastic spoons. With all of that lot, what on earth are you going to use an oven for?! There was also no dish-washer powder so sorry NH, you now have a dishwasher with dirty food covered plates that are festering away - if there was dishwasher tablets or powder I would gladly have switched it on .....

Today the internet was actually even worse than yesterday. Every time I had written an email and pressed send, it had logged me off meaning I had to close my browser and then open it again. Oddly the log-in default wasn't actually the log in for this hotel ... the internet is tragic. It basically rules this hotel out as a business travelers option.

Leaving tomorrow - cannot wait. This hotel is terrible. When I worked in Amsterdam a few years ago I stayed for several weeks at a time in an NH - it was great. This is just a 0 out of 10. AVOID AT ALL COSTS

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank sam19771977
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We arrived to this hotel in the middle of the night, hoping to get a room. And we got one - for a VERY reasonable price. The room was spacious and I loved the design! Especially, the bathroom. The breakfast was excellent, too, especially the churros :-) All in all, we had a very enjoyable stay.

1  Thank Katja2012_12
Reviewed 9 September 2012

They gave us a penthouse with an incredible view, but they forget the compliments.
The most remarkable thing is yhe breakfast
Excellent quality and variaty
The coffee machine provides excellent coffee

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ezini
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We arrived at the hotel quite late to be greeted by very friendly staff.. They were very helpful in directing us to the port for our ferry over to Tangier the following day and even printed out a ferry timetable for us.
The room itself was great, a very spacious area with cooling air conditioning, a sitting area with swivel TV and a big couch - everything we needed after a long day travelling from Barcelona.
The breakfast was absolutely great, I've never seen so many options!
Unfortunately we had only the one night here, I would have happily have spent several.
For the price a great hotel.

Room Tip: The Suites are very spacious.