“Very enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Finca Eslava

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Antequera
Hotel Finca Eslava
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Antequera
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

Arrived for a 4 night stay on Monday 25th February 2013 for a business trip.
Rooms spacious enough and very clean. Everything well laid out.
Staff are courteous and helpful and most speak english even though I speak a little spanish (and getting better!)
Owner - Don Antonio is a real character and is excellent company.
Restaurant is really nice. Food is excellent and simply cannot fault it.
The restaurant is surround by wine racks and I did ask and there are about 2,000 bottles!
Well priced menu and wines and I would certainly recommend this hotel.
I look forward to my next trip there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Stephen D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Istan, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

This was my third visit to Finca Eslava and I had been highly enthusiatic about the whole experience previously that I pursuaded a couple of friends to come with me on this trip. I had booked a Junior suit, which was o.k. except that the room was poorly lit, with no mirrors in the bedroom and the shower, although sophisticated was very cramped. Also there was no soap provided. These are minor issues compared to my main complaint, the restaurant, which should be named "Fawlty Towers". The restaurant opens for dinner at 20:00 and we arrived at 20:30. There was only one other table occupied. The head waiter presented us with the menus (which were in English) and after a couple of minutes was back to take our order before we had even had the opportunity to study the contents. Fortunately I had already highly recommended the "Suckling Pig" to my friends and so we knew what we wanted. I was then presented with the extensive wine list, which again I was not given the opportunity to browse, so it was a question of pointing at something that looked reasonable. I never get the chance to read the label as the waiter brought the bottle to the table to open and proceded to break the cork! One would normally expect an apology and a new bottle presented, but no, he picked up a spoon and pushed the remaining cork into the bottle! A decanter was then found and the wine poured into this. By this stage we were in hysterics!
And then the "Suckling Pigs" were served. Now this should normally have a dry crispy skin with a little fat and soft pink meat. Ours had a soft skin with no meat and too much fat. It was served on a bed of sliced potatoes swimming in fat. In short it was inedible. We retired to the bar to complain to the manager. He apologised and said that the following evening the meal would be "on the house". We explained that we were leaving in the morning and therefore could we have the meal for gratis. He responded that this was not possible, but we could have a glass of wine on the house! The next morning we attempted to resolve the problem at receptrion when checking out and we did get a discount on the overall bill. But this was not the point, it was a very disappointing visit.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite 110 is on the first floor and spacious, but traffic noise is a problem
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael M
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

Very nice hotel in an industrial location, it's a shame it's not more central but if you're traveling by car then it's fine.
Very helpful and courteous staff. We arrived late after the restaurant had closed but a quick call from the concierge to the chef meant we could have a sandwich made up and a beer or 2 before retiring for bed.
Comfy beds, well appointed room and bathroom with a convenient antechamber.
Breakfast was very nice and they'll even make you an omelette!
The pool and spa was excellent, more like a posh public swimming pool, very warm and pleasant. The spa was excellent, the spa pool is very large with 14 or 15 different hydrotherapy sections to massage different parts of your body!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

Pros:
Nice hotel.
Beautiful area.
Good trainers and guides (David, Antonio and Leah).
The gym and pool are good.

Cons:
Not really what it appears to be on booking…
You fill in quite a detailed questionnaire about your lifestyle etc but the holiday itself is not tailored and the questionnaire seems irrelevant.
I asked specifically about diet/food requirements before I booked but in reality was only able to get the food I asked for 3 meals in one week.
The holiday lacks cohesion as there is no one to oversee everything.
The ‘health check’ is being weighed and measured by a machine/scales that claim to measure body fat etc – with dubious results! Followed by a talk by a life coach ...On my initial health check I was told I had very low body fat for a woman and told it was unhealthy. On my final health check I was congratulated by the same person for reducing my body fat…

The food is pretty repetitive but mostly okay.

Overall I would say while it was quite enjoyable – particularly the hikes and cycling – it’s a lot of money for something that isn’t either a boot camp or a regular holiday. The early morning exercise sessions are a walk in town (apparently there used to be yoga etc but they reduced staff), then a hike or cycle after breakfast and two gym classes in the afternoon.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
stephrfh, Manager of RFH Fitness at Hotel Finca Eslava, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thanks very much for your feedback. I am sorry that everything was not what you expected. We send out copies of the full programme and the complete menu as well as having copies on the website (rfhfitness.com) to try to avoid such confusion. We are well aware that some people have very definite ideas about bootcamps, which is why we try to ensure that we make it clear that our approach is very different.

With regards to the confusion over your results, Les, Our Life Coach and Advisor, thought that he had made it clear that he was congratulating you on achieving the result that you wanted whilst reiterating that such a reading would not normally be considered healthy. As he explained at the time, the Tanita body composition monitor really only gives an insight into your body composition at the moment of the test; however, the readings are as viable as any other method that can be employed in such an environment. If, having reviewed your final report, you would like further clarification of anything, please drop us a line.

Thanks very much for your positive comments on the hotel, gym, pool, area, activities, guides & trainers.
shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Hotel was top place in Antequara before competition descended and now appears to struggle to attract guests.Being in the middle of an industrial area can't help.
Rooms and public areas are lovely but restaurant was not used during our stay.
Staff were very efficient but we did not find them very friendly.
Used as a base to explore the area with easy reach to Granada,Cordoba and Seville.
Deal for half board was very good but made for limited choice of menu.

Room Tip: Request room facing fitnes centre.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
stephrfh, Manager of Associated Company at Hotel Finca Eslava, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thanks for your comments. Here´s the response from the hotel owners, which they have asked me to translate into English:

We are sorry that you found the style of our hotel not to your liking. It was built only 7 years ago in traditional Andalucian style, which we find is normally very appealing to guests. We are very proud of the style of our hotel and are sure that our larger than average rooms, flat-screen TVs & free WIFI internet access in every room help to ensure that we are consistently rated in the top 2 hotels in Antequera (even now!) - never mind the fantastic gym, indoor pool & spa.

We think that our location on the edge of Antequera is perfect for easy access to the main roads to Córdoba, Granada, Sevilla & Malaga, whilst being only a 3-minute drive or a 15-minute walk from the centre of what is regarded as one of the loveliest small cities in Andalucia. We very much hope that we can be of service in the future.

Yours,

The Family Velazquez
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stayed at the hotel as part of my RFH fitness package. The hotel was wonderful and the staff attentive and friendly. The facilities were fantastic - the gym was fully equiped and I loved the swimming pools. The countryside is incredibly beautiful especially El Torcal and the reservoirs and it was no hardship to hike for hours through this terrain. I would come again and I will be recommending it.

Room Tip: Some rooms have little balconies. Very good for drying clothes when you are on the fitness course a...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank pipnid
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

Hotel is situated just outside the main city, a short taxi ride as the road is quite busy without a sidewalk, as far as I could see. From the minute you enter the grounds it has the WOW factor, entering the Finca Eslava is truly stunning, a sheer delight to the eye. The staff are welcoming, our room was a good size, so comfortable, flat screen TV, bathroom spotless. The grounds to the hotel are a delight and we had access to the swimming /sport complex, included in the booking. My deal included breakfast which was cereals / coffee, Tea / meats and cheeses as well as as cooked eggs bacon and sausages to order - fabulous. Enjoyed the hotel so much we dined their in the evening, remarkable value. I just loved this hotel and the very welcoming staff made it so special.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends