All reviewsalcazar de la reinanice hotelswimming poolnarrow streetsold townhotel facilitiesstreet parkingrooms are spacioussmall townthe underground car parkthe room was niceadjoining restaurantstayed here for nightsseville airporttown squareformer palacean oasis
Reviewed 4 October 2009

The first impression of the hotel was great. We arranged for their transport to pick us up from the airport which was more than adequate. On arrival check in was quick and the bell boy brought our suitcases up to our room. Our room looked over the pool. Room and bathroom was large and comfortable. However before expoloring the sights we wanted to go for a swim, but on looking at the pool I wouldn't have put a duck in it, there was pigeon droppings caked at the bottom and feathers floating on the top. We asked at reception if there was any possibility for the pool to be cleaned, which they arranged. Then the next morning we had breakfast which was really nice and staff were very pleasant. We then went to the terrace to the swimming pool, again the pool was full of feathers and droppings with the pigeons actually sharing the pool. It was after this I decided to cut our four night stay in Carmona to two and moved on to the centre of Seville. Where after a day of sight seeing it was great to dive into a clean cool pool. As stated the staff at the hotel were very pleasant but when you book a hotel with a pool you expect to be able to use it, without being worried about what disease you might contract. If I would have been travelling with a young child there is no way I would have stayed there as long as I did, as I felt the terrace and the pool were in a very unhealthy, unclean state. This is a shame as the hotel itself is really attractive and staff very nice.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2009

My husband and I spent 3 nights at this hotel last week. It was a nice hotel and ideally suited for exploring Carmona. I was a bit surprised that, being a 4 star hotel, there was no assistance with taking our luggage to the room, it was a long walk and a porter with a luggage trolley would have been very useful. I did see staff helping other guests so maybe it was just us! I am sorry to say there were a couple of issues: The hotel has a lovely little swimming pool but unfortunately this is used by the many local pigeons for bathing/drinking which put us off from having a dip as the water was full of feathers (and worse). However, this didn't seem to put off others and the pool was regularly used although it did look dirty. The hotel staff cleaned it by hand each morning. There were only probably 10 sun lounger beds around the pool which were nabbed early in the morning by guests who camped there all day, which is fine but that did mean that no-one else had a chance to lie on a bed. There is a sign saying that anyone vacating their bed for more than 15 minutes will have their belongings removed (to allow others to use the beds) by the hotel staff but this did not happen in reality which was frustrating when lounger users went to lunch for hours at a time and the beds could not be used by anyone else. We mentioned this to the gentlemen manning reception but he just shrugged his shoulders. Lastly, guests from the hotel round the corner sneaked in to use the Alcazar swimming pool/sunbeds, although both were for hotel residents only. Again, this was frustrating when there were not enough beds for hotel residents. From a security aspect it also concerned me that people could just walk into the hotel/pool area unchallenged although they had to pass reception to do so. The reception desk was not manned constantly so we took our key with us when leaving the hotel, if we could lean over the desk to take our key, so could anyone else.

My only other gripe is that although the hotel seems to be quite old, the walls between the rooms and the corridors were very thin. The excitable Italian residents in the room next to us could quite clearly be overheard talking, as could anyone chatting in the corridor, which wasn't funny at 2 in the morning.

The hotel was very nice and clean and we had some lovely tapas from the restaurant. The breakfast was fine although we did not eat in the restaurant in the evenings. There are lots of restaurants in the town square, less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Our room was pleasant and clean, with french doors overlooking the pool. We had a huge bath and there was always plenty of hot water.

It's a shame that a few small issues marred our stay at the hotel, issues which could easily be remedied by the hotel if they saw fit. I was going to leave a note in the large perspex suggestion box but the fact that this was already full to the brim lead me to believe that they weren't really bothered about suggestions, despite the manager's note in the room to the contrary.

Carmona itself is a lovely town, there was a fiesta the weekend we were there and the town came alive as the evening progressed. There was a lovely friendly atmosphere.

A nice hotel and a good location but unfortunately I wouldn't go back. By the way, there was internet connection but at €10 for 30 mins, we didn't use this facility.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2009

The rooms were spacious and tasteful; the courtyard pool delightful and the tapas bar incredible for an inexpensive but splendid lunch.Got an amazing deal through Travel Republic.Could not fault our stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I am a professional photographer with a studio in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I live in Bangor, Co. Down and am a member of Bangor & North Down Camera Club. I stayed at the Alcazar de la Reina hotel with a group of friends who are all members of Bangor Camera Club. I choose the hotel mainly for easy access to Seville and Cordoba and also the Andalusian country side. We were all looking for a photographic trip and to enjoy the area. We found the hotel to be an excellent choice. We arrived on a Saturday and the hotel was very busy with a large party of people, but we were quickly looked after and assigned our rooms. The rooms we had were large and the bathroom was excellent. The rooms were cleaned each day. After the Saturday the hotel was reasonably quiet and we did not see many other guests, As a group of guys all from Northern Ireland we were delighted by the Irish Pub they have in the Hotel. (We need our Guinness!!!) The bar staff were first class. We stayed over St. Patricks night and a few Guinness were drunk to help drown the Shamrock. (Only slight sore heads the next morning) We did not eat in the hotel restaurant, as there were so few guests it was generally empty. We had breakfast every morning and there was always plenty to eat, one of our party was a vegetarian and he had no trouble finding a good breakfast. In the evenings we walked into the main Square in Carmona and there were lots of bars and places to eat, most of these were pointed out to us by the receptionist of the hotel when we arrived. It is definitely a much cheaper option. Order Raciones if hungry or half Raciones or just lots of Tapas to give you a flavour of the food. We all enjoyed our stay in the Hotel and next time I am in the area my wife and I will definitely stay there.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fotocoe
Reviewed 3 January 2009

The room is ok, large enough. Cleaness above what expected in Spain. It has the great advantage of having garage for your car inside the old town. This is great, because you park the car and you can enjoy this lovely town walking with no problems.
Although this advantages, I think I payed too much for it (126 for a triple -two adults and one child - without breakfast). I could find much cheaper hotels in Carmona. Notice also that the pub Donald - very well decorated - is expensive and you shall not ask there for a brandy because they`ll bring you something really expensive.
Stay here only if you get a much cheaper price.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)