“Full week well spent”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Coto del Valle
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Cazorla
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I have stayed in Coto del Valle hotel for a week volunteering on a Diverbo English immersion program. The hotel is in secluded location surrounded by spectacular environment. In fact it is in the heart of natural preserve area. The hotel is very well designed combining the elements of local heritage and modern architecture. I loved the veranda or atrium that served well during the hot afternoons. Food was really spectacular and diverse, so I enjoyed "best of Spanish cuisine" for quite some time. The hotel rooms are neat and other amenities like swimming pool, disco, and the court for paddle (spanish-argentinian) small tennis was nearby. Every day one deer and a wild boars would come close to the hotel as for the show, since they were not afraid of humans.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank rakovic

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Spectacular surroundings and a nice pool. If you are lucky, you might catch sight of some of the local wildlife. My room which I had exclusive use of was a 'family unit' one double and one twin room with a shower room. A balcony overlooking the recreation area and pool was a plus.

For a four star, I thought the rooms were a little basic, no room safe, trouser press or refrigerator for example and, other than a small tablet of soap and some gel in the shower unit, there were no toiletries. Plenty of combs and tooth brushes however. Note for U.K. visitors, ALL the T.V. channels are in Spanish.

The staff ? Charming, helpful and friendly, made me feel really welcome.

I am not a great fan of garlic or olive oil, a bit difficult in an area famous as an oil producing region (60 million olive trees locally I am told) but I found plenty of items on the menu to suit my taste. The food was well prepared, nicely presented with ample portions. In particular, the fish courses I was served were Quite exceptional. If you have special dietary requirements, the staff are only too happy to try and oblige.

All in all, lovely hotel, an ex hunting lodge, lots of stuffed wildlife form part of the ambience. O'h I nearly forgot, there is a lovely covered courtyard if the sun gets too hot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2012

We stayed at the Coto Del Valle for 8 days as part of the Diverbo language program.

Our room was very comfortable, well serviced and top quality. The WiFi signal reached our room for easy internet connectivity.

Food was delicious and creative (we were told they had a Michelin-starred chef - and we believe it).

Remote location in the mountains of Sierra de Cazorla in Jaen Province, Andalucia - added to the charm. Staff were attentive in every way and one member of staff (on her day off) even bought our bus tickets for our onward travel from the town of Cazorla.

Spa was luxurious!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank EarlFlorida2
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We have just returned from spending five nights at this hotel.... and it has been glorious!

The hotel is exactly what you see in the photos here or on their website. It is honest, no photoshop or filter in sight. It is rustic...in a slightly theme parky sort of way. Designed to look like it has been there for years and making sure that there is a fantastic vista from every nook and crannie, balcony or patio.This is well achieved. The rooms are functional , clean and cosy. The beds are very comfortable. The lighting is perculiar, at least it was in our room, we never got the overhead lights to work, but we were quite happy with the side lights and the light flooded in through our large mountain facing picture window and balcony doors, which were also mosquito netted and equiped with roller shutters and good locks for those city dwellers like myself, who are not familiar with the concept of total silence ( except for the birds in the day & baying deer occassionally at night)& total darkness. It was actually so wonderful to breathe air enfused with pine while listening to the babbling brook and the sounds of the forrest I have not slept so well in years.

The hotel staff were helpful and pleasant at all times. The conservatory bar again offers a relaxing spot with over 180 degree views of the valley & mountains. The spa was a wonderful treat to be enjoyed after a morning trek. The circuit lasts for 2 hours and costs 20 euros per person unless you were as lucky as we were and had one circuit each included in the price. We were steamed, saunaed, flotated. Our pores were openned in the heat, cleansed in the steam and shut in the ice rub and/or the plunge pool. Our feet were massaged in the pebble walk and we were pummelled and relaxed by the various water shoots and trickles...My neck has never felt better ! The whole thing finished up with a jacuzzi while again looking out at the incredible sceenery. We loved it so much, we returned on a second occassion and paid 15 euros for an hour in the circuit with a lovely infused tea at the end. Sitting in an oriental style hall with more fabulous views, we were warm , wrapped in our fluffy robes and I was so relaxed I was suprised my husband did not have to peel me up off the floor.

I have read other reviews and must admit that before we chose to visit this hotel, the only thing that put us off was the reviews on the restaurant! Well, I am very happy to tell anyone reading this that ....they have listened and they have fixed it. Our booking was with breakfast and half board. Breakfast was not the lavish buffet that one tends to find on coastal resorts, but there are cereals, breads, cold cuts, fruit, pastries, warm bacon and tortilla, juices, coffees & tea. We chose to have our evening meal on half board and I can say that at 15 euros a head it was incredible value for money. The options were taken from the a la carte menu. Everything we tried was fresh, tasty and delicious ! On the final evening we ate a la carte and the standard was truly excellent. We shared the odd bottle of wine with our friends over dinner and were totally impressed with the price and quality of it.

El Coto del Valle is a great place to spend a few days. If you have children of any size or age, they will love it. The hotel was very child friendly as we discovered on our last night. If you want to enjoy the hotel in quieter moments, then go between a Sunday and depart on a Friday, off peak and school holidays you will find it peaceful.

Do at least one 4x4 tour of the park, take some walks, there are various starting and ending near the hotel. The village at the bottom of the valley ( Arroyo Frio) 3k away on foot makes for a good lunch destination or try it for a spot of local shopping. It you want to buy local olive oil or other local delicasies. Try the supermarket before the little gift shops. You will often find the same product cheaper. Eating out is also the cheapest and among the nicest I have ever found in Southern Spain.

What did I love? The peace, the air, the walks, the spa, the wildlife...at one point I felt like Snow White ...singing with all the little creatures around her. I jest. I enjoyed seeing them in their environment, but I never expected to see so many, birds, deer of several varieties and size, Squirrels, eagles,bats, foxes, wild goats and boar.

What did I dislike? You know what? I can't think of a single thing.....we were even lucky enough to have the weather on our side, five days of beautiful blue skies cool in the mornings and warm in the afternoons. I do accept that this is not the norm for this time of year...Ok, I just found one thing I did not like! I told you about the funny lighting in our room, well, there was also a table with a velvety top to put your luggage on? Well, the velvet was faded. How is that for nit picking ?

On a final note, as we slowly drove out of the park on our last morning, a young buck jumped out in front of us, he looked straight toward us and the four of us stared in awe. No time to grab the camera, Just time to realise were we had been and feel grateful that there are still spots in Europe were one can enjoy...a little piece of heaven.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Bellarina62
Reviewed 2 May 2012

It's a pity that this hotel does not spend money on hiring a 'good' chef. The food is absolutely so terrible that I even considered offering my services for free!! The restaurant is quite nice and when they hand you the menu you are still in the illusion that the food is going to be good. And then they serve you and you can't believe your eyes ... a salad of partridge with figs you are promised and then your plate arrives with iceberg salad, pineapple, tomatoes and it's all covered with a pink thick sauce that makes you think the chef threw up over your plate. I never judge a book by its cover so I decided to take a bite. OMG. This wasn't partridge but slices of cold chicken. The waiter informed me that the kitchen was out of partridge and had some chicken left over from yesterday and informed me that the taste was the same anyway. He seemed a bit suprised that I had managed to taste the difference with all the sauce on top.

The wine ordered from the wine list was poured in without showing us the lable of the bottle. To our suprise we were served a wine from a different year and much younger than the one we ordered. After pointing this out to the waiter he mumbled something in Spanish and deducted Euro 10,- from the bill. Ok, so we can live with pink throw up and the wrong bottle of wine but visitors beware of the desserts!!! .. do not order anything with milk, cream of ice cream. I suspect that dessert is rarely ordered and re-frozen. Very bad idea and don't even think about trying dessert if you don't want to spend the next day feeling ill ...

Breakfast was quite interesting and made me feel like I was being punished for having survived dinner the night before. When entering the restaurant we were completely ignored. When asked where we could sit the waiter pointed at a 'dirty' table and told us to sit there. We waited for a while until we noticed other guests collecting their tableware, setting their tables and basically doing the waiters work. Strange, but ok. So then we looked to see what was on offer. Yoghurt at roomtemp and not cooled. Same for the coldcuts. Dry bread. 2 croissants and pastries for a group of 30 people. I still haven't figured out which is worse dinner or breakfast.

The location, views, reception area and spa area (will cost you Euro 20,- ) are very good. The courtyard set up with the rooms around all have great views. We booked last minute on booking.com and paid Euro 135,- for 2 bedrooms. The rooms are not 4 star quality but if you came to this area for the nature you will not be bothered with that too much. The shower is sufficient and they really would like you to brush your teeth as we found 8 toothbrushes in the bathroom.

One of the nicest things of this hotel is that they feed wild boars at the end of the day and it's great if you have kids with you to see these animals up close!

The question is would I come back to this hotel? Yes and for the only reason that I hope that one day they manage to get it right and decide that food is just as important as a magnificant view or a thermal pool. My only advise is not to book half or full board but to eat around for instance at the Parador close by or stop for some excellent tapas in one of the villages on your way to the walking treks. We bought some excellent bread at a local supermarket with some delicious sausage made from wild boar and local cheese.

Whatever you decide to do, don't miss out on the chance to see some of the most wonderful scenery I've seen in Spain.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank LadyChefRotterdam
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We choosed the place because it lies close to the center of the valley (Arroyofrio), but is calm and close to the nature.
It has 4 stars because of it equippment, and offers a nice park ans swimming pools, but the rooms are rather basic, although confortable. There is no bath, only a shower in the rooms, and, as it is often the case in Spain, your hear a little too much your neighbours.
The very bad point was the food. The reception confirmed me that the cook was out, but still there was a tremendous lack of care, like rotted fruits and dried bread. The breakfast was poor as well, but it was low season.
So, the positive points where the location and price. But I suspect there are better places to stay in the area, and any place will provide you a better food for half the price.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pvull
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I thought it might be useful to post an up to date review on here in English as most of the reviews seem to have been written in Spanish, this is no doubt due to the fact that this place is well off ‘the beaten track’ and not on the usual tourist trail.

I stayed here for a week at the end of June and what an amazing place. I was there as part of a large group and we made our own entertainment so the week was quite lively.

This place is really a hidden treasure and it has its own extensive grounds.

Located in a rural location in the Cazorla National Park the hotel is quite isolated and is surrounded by pine trees. Just across the road from the hotel a family of wild boars regularly visit to be fed.

The hotel is build with nice terracotta coloured bricks and the whole place looks lovely, with flowers blooming all over the place. There is a covered courtyard in the centre of the building making it a nice area to sit and relax outside but out of the glare of the sun.

My room was a corner room and did get quite warm later in the day, the air conditioning wasn’t very effective and I suppose I should have reported it but I didn’t get around to it. I had fantastic views over the trees and could hear the sound of running water all the time from the stream down below, it was really relaxing. It was lovely to sit out on the balcony in the early morning and just listen to the sounds of the forest.

I had twin beds in my room and there was plenty of hanging space and room to move around. The bed was very comfortable although I didn’t sleep too well at first due to the heat, once I mastered the art of leaving the windows and shutters open all night then I slept much better.

The pool was brilliant and the water was so warm it was heaven to escape from the 37 degree heat with a lovely swim in a nice clean, well maintained pool, there were plenty of sun loungers available and pool towels could be obtained from reception.

The food was of a really high standard and far too good not to try everything - I’m afraid it wasn’t good for the waistline though!

There isn’t much to do in the evenings but sit, relax, have dinner and a quiet drink in the bar and listen to the sounds from the surrounding woods. It’s a great place to go for total rest and relaxation.

All the staff were really helpful, friendly and efficient and Jose on the bar looked after us really well.

There is free Wi Fi available but it seemed quite intermittent and seemed to drop the signal quite regularly, one minute it would work in the room and then it wouldn’t the same in the main reception area etc. There is however a small lounge off the bar with a PC in it.

The only downside is that the main mountain road runs right past the front gates of the hotel and it is surprisingly busy, it does make it very awkward if you want to head out that way walking as the cars seem to use it as a race track and it can be quite dangerous as well as noisy.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Bouedo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cazorla
Parador de Cazorla
Sercotel Hotel Ciudad de Cazorla
Hotel El Curro
Hotel El Curro
#1 of 1 in Burunchel

Been to Hotel Coto del Valle? Share your experiences!