“There's no better place in Fuengirola!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Monopol - CLOSED

Monopol
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: closed on Sundays,Sonntags geschlossen,cerrado los Domingos,
Gelsenkirchen, Germany
“There's no better place in Fuengirola!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We were in Fuengirola in May this year and visited the Restaurante Monopol again - it's still absolutely fabulous! It's been around since 1981 and that with the same chef/owner! (I asked them.) The food is amazing, delicious and freshly made. The sauces to the meals and the desserts are simply the best I have ever tasted. And the desserts look great, too! The value-for-money is very good indeed. We always eat here at least twice during our holidays. No wonder, they are mentioned in the Michelin Guide for example. They have deserved it - it's the best restaurant in Fuengirola in our view. Forget the fish alley or other cheaper places. And for us, the service is good enough. I go to a restaurant to have a wonderful evening and dinner with my husband or friends and not to be entertained by the waiters. Maybe, she had a bad day. Don't we all have that sometimes...? Best wishes to them from us - keep up the good job - hopefully for many more years to come. See you next time, Paul and Bärbel!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Carolina612

Harlow, United Kingdom
“Interesting Experience!”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Visited Saturday 12 October with seven of my golfing pals.

We had not 'pre booked' and having looked at the menu in the window, we enquired if they could accommodate us.

There were approximately six people already inside, at say 9PM?

Ambience good and we were given a long table in the corner (away from existing diners) which was perfect for both us and the existing diners.

Within an hour we were on our own and no one else entered the premises, whatsoever.

Food was excellent, hot and delivered in a timely manner, supplemented by some quality bottles of wine.

The only real negative aspect was the attitude of the lady (owner?) who served us.

I would not say she was rude, but neither was she welcoming and looked to be wholly uncomfortable in our presence, throughout the following couple of hours.

I would emphasize that our behaviour was very good (no one swore, which I hate in mixed company) and In fairness, she may just have been 'busy' as apart from the chef there did not appear to be anyone else working there.

At the end of the day, some of the guys felt it was the best meal that we have had in the ten years that we have been visiting the Fuengirola area and our bill was in excess of 250 euros (reasonable) which must have significantly boosted the restaurant takings for the day.

Would I go again, Yes, and whilst I don't expect a Cheshire cat/cabaret from the proprietor, I still think that there was some room for improvement.

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Utter rubbish below!”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have been to this restaurant many times and NEVER had a problem with service.
I would take Victoria B's review with a large pinch of salt (Vic, try any of the burger bars along the strip for fast service!!).
Anyhow, good food is worth waiting for.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Deborah B
Heywood, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous food”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The food is delicious and the restaurant is spotless and not overpriced BUT ....the service is ridiculously slow!!!!! There were six of us booked in for 8 and we finally got our main course at 10 !!!! There is only one waitress and she doesn't seem bothered at all that you are kept waiting,by the time food arrived I was stressed out its so rude to keep poeple waiting so long,or is it just me? I will only go in if there are about six poeple in ,I have been in there a few times and its always the same.its such a shame because the food is good , I wouldn't order a bottle of wine because I would be to drunk to eat the food by the time it came.They need more staff !!!!!!!!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Victoria B
Fuengirola, Spain
“Here top quality is the standard norm”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The decorations are seriously worth a look. It´s amazing what they´ve done. It´s all related to food but in extraordinary ways! Treat yourself and walk around. Service is pleasant. The lady/owner keeps her distance but is always nearby. It´s also nice to be somewhere where we can enjoy sharing a meal without televisions or blaring telephones. The food was top of the bill. Cannot be better. You can taste it has been bought, prepared and cooked with attention. What a wonderfull surprise! It´s presentation is well thought of and here they do realize that the eyes eat first. All in all a delightfull experience and worth every penny. We will be back! We´ve been told that in winter they open for lunch aswell. Since they don´t have a terrace or patio it might be an idea for a rainy winters day...

• Visited June 2013