“Adequate at best”

Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
Providence, Rhode Island
“Adequate at best”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Spent 6 nights from Oct. 1st 2013. I have to agree with other reviews but have to add one potential problem. The bathroom floor in the area of the toilet and bidet is raised about 1-1/2" above the rest of the floor. This is an accident/ lawsuit waiting to happen! Try going to the bathroom in the middle of the night without any night light; watch out! We had booked a room with a king size bed. What we got were two twin beds, each made completely pushed together. When we asked for a room with a king size bed, we were told that the largest bed they could give us was a room with a double bed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I have reread some of the reviews posted on Las Piramides since I returned from holiday and I don't think I can add much more.....but here goes.

First impressions of reception was quite good, two helpful young girls with excellent English booked us in very efficiently. We asked if it was too late for food, just gone 10pm and they directed us to ask at the dining room. Service was finished but the person in charge had a tray delivered to the room with cold meats, salad and deserts. We appreciated this very much.

The room on the 7th floor was quite spacious with a very nice view of the ocean and the air conditioning efficient and ran quietly. The bathroom was clean and modern. Unfortunately the towels are thin and only one bath and one hand towel is provided. The decor of the room was a bit dull with the blue colour on the walls, but, that is my personal taste.
Breakfast is as bad as everyone says, if you like eggs you can have them boiled, scrambled and fried, We were going on an early trip one morning and I asked if we could have something to eat before we went and I was assured this was not a problem as they set up at 3.30 am????
Dinner is varied with the usual buffet and we enjoyed dinner most nights. The waiting staff were efficient clearing used plates but there demeanor left a lot to be desired. I don't think anyone is very happy working there, except for the two young male waiters who were pleasant.

The pool area is a disgrace. Whoever is running this hotel should be ashamed to have let it get so run down, Every one of the umbrellas is broken, I tried to put one up and my hand went straight through the material it was so rotten. The tiles around the top of the pool itself are broken and I am sure it is a health hazard. It is such a pity because the situation of the pool area, overlooking the beach is fantastic,

The piano player in the foyer drove us out of the bar every night he played, he was so awful. I don't know who decorated the foyer and bar but it looked like a half a dozen people decorated a bit each without consulting each other. Nothing matches, it is so bad it is fascinating.

Overall I would agree with the last reviews I have read that this hotel falls way below even a 3 star. It's a pity because it has great potential. They seem to cater to a lot of bus tours for one or two nights stays. It is definitely not suitable for children, no kiddies pool or anything else for kids.
The area is quiet and is near bus and rail. The beach is lovely and a few minutes walk will take you to fish alley.
Would I go back to this hotel ? probably not

Room Tip: the odd number e.g 701-703-707 etc overlook the beach side view but don't ever get the sun
3 Thank bellewaterford

Travellers are raving about these Fuengirola hotels

UK
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night only as it was convenient for driving back to the airport. Do not be fooled by the reception area decor, dated as it is. This is the best part of this hotel but go beyond that, and everything goes downhill rapidly.

Our room was painted a depressing shade of dark blue and of all the hotels or even B&B places I have stayed in all over the world, this hotel is the only one I have ever stayed in where there wasn't a single picture on the wall. OK, so no great criteria for picking a hotel, I agree, but talk about cutting things down to the bare bones.....

Our bathroom, although initially appearing quite modern, was obviously well worn. The shower screen appeared to be for cosmetic purposes only. Because it was not possible to angle and secure the shower head so that the water did anything other than run down the wall, the water ran under a gap in the seal at the bottom of the screen and then onto the floor. Small sachets of multi-purpose shampoo/body wash were barely adequate enough to wash even a small child let alone an adult and the soaps, from which it was impossible to raise a single bubble, had the consistency of pumice stones. The hairdryer 'functioned' at a decibel level akin to a plane taking off.

We noticed, like another reviewer, the novel but rather unnerving provision of multiple adaptors in a wall plug, rather than multiple sockets. Not sure that would comply with even Spanish regulations......

Breakfast - where to start? Well, probably by recommending you go elsewhere. It is served - or should I say 'is available', from 0800 but when we arrived at 0830, there was no bacon left and many of the heating trays had very little in them. In the absence of any serving staff, or, indeed, staff of any persuasion, my husband went into the kitchen where he received an indifferent reaction to his suggestion that they might like to provide their customers with more food. Eventually, fifteen minutes later, a single new tray of bacon appeared, but by then many of the customers had drifted away, presumably in search of somewhere that offered food for breakfast.

The tables were left uncleared, forcing many people to eat their breakfast amongst dirty trays, crockery, cutlery and leftover food. The multi-purpose tea and coffee machines dispensing lacklustre drinks were filthy, the fruit salad looked to have been released from tins some days previously, the yoghurts were cheap, nasty and flavourless which is probably why there was a mountain of them warming nicely in the heat, and the sausages were simply warmed up hot dogs which are well known for containing nothing more than mechanically reclaimed flesh from assorted bones. I am hard pushed to think of a more unappetising start to a day, but would welcome answers on a postcard.

Outside, the pool whilst large, has broken tiles around the top and broken umbrellas around the poolside. There was no staff manning the 'gym' or policing the dispensing of pool towels. I never saw either of the two bars anything other than unlit and unmanned.

Indoors, the air con in the public areas was noticeably switched off, with the result that the corridors were as hot as Hades, if not more so. The air con in our room was quite quiet but didn't function terribly well, and the unit hanging on the wall above our balcony dispensed run-off down a pipe and onto our balcony and down the wall. Nice.

During the few hours we were at the hotel, I saw only 3 members of staff, 2 of whom were young girls staffing the reception desk. Not sure who was running the place, but whoever they are, they are not doing a very good job of it and were any kind of emergency to arise, I would have no confidence at all that it could be dealt with properly or with any authority.

All in all, and in my opinion, a place well worth giving a miss, but if you like Spam and rubbery processed cheese squares, you are in for a real treat because there was lots of that left after breakfast!

Room Tip: Book into a different hotel!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This hotel leaves much to be desired. The rooms are clean but I was worried by the fact that the wiring was plugged into adaptors rather that extra sockets being installed, and there is a step up to the toilet in the bathroom which is quite dangerous until you get used to it . There are no tea / coffee making facilities in the rooms (4 star!!!). The food at breakfast was simply shocking, and the queues for the coffee / toast machines appalling (there are only 2 of each) - we only attempted it two or three times. The food at the evening meal offered a plentiful choice but was of mediocre quality, and the maitre d' cannoned into my disabled husband almost knocking him over, and never even apologised. On the day we were leaving I rang reception to ask for assistance with the cases, having ascertained the day before that this was a service which could be provided. No one answered the phone (I rang twice), so as we were then only 10 minutes from our pick up time I struggled down with the cases myself. When I went to reception to hand in my safe key and room card (there were now 2 people there!) and mentioned this, the girl just said "really?". Needless to say we will not be returning.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I booked here for 4 nights and only managed 2, the hotel smelt awful. My room was tired and the hallways, lift and lobby area are in need of a refurbishment. I'm sure this hotel was a 4* 20yrs ago but very misleading in comparison to alternative hotels. On the positive side, the air con system in the room was very quiet and is well located to the beach, however I will not be staying here again.

1 Thank Joecasari
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The lift in the hotel broke down at 2:00am, we were stuck init for a long period of time, the hotel staff were not bothered. they didn't respond to the alarm, breakfast is a no go at the hotel, many mornings we went down and spend 30-40 mins in a que to find there was no hot foods left just toast, very lack of foods ad fruit. evening meals were okey, although you would wait for someone to take your drinks order for 20-30 mins, most days we had finished our food before they took our drinks order. this hotel is prob more like a 2* hotel than a 4.
The drink prices are £4.50 for a beer, £4.00 for a coke and £3.00 for a water. very excessive! the bar over the road (Sunshine Bar) is much cheaper and is a nice bar, we spent alot of time in this bar. would I return to this hotel. deferential not.

Room Tip: Rooms for 2 or more people, beds are crammed into a 2 bed room. see view is limited
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This is the 3rd time there and it is the worst it has been. €35.00 for a safe???
Breakfast and dinner are the same as last 3 years. Food is very very poor.

We stayed as a group of golfers and they think we have not been on holiday before.

Never will I go a gain to this hotel. Its the bottom of my list.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel if you like your food or you think you are getting a 4 star service.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends