“solo traveller”

Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
manchester
“solo traveller”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

fabulous spacious room very clean, had lovely sea views from the balcony, amazing choice of meals although there wasn't many British people in the Hotel (mainly Spanish & French) the Entertainment was for for familys & not my cup of tea. The Hotel was less that five minutes from the lovely sandy beach & Torreblanca Train station which was very convenient for the Airport at Malaga, Benalmadena, Los Boliches, Fuengirola etc. & very cheap too! went to the 'Piccaso Museum in Malaga well worth a visit & what a great city Malaga was! the reason I booked my holiday was to meet up with my son & family for his 40th birthday in Mijas. yes it was a fantastic holiday!

Room Tip: booked a single room & they gave me a double spacious with a sea view from the balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank alfredManchester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I visited the hotel with a group of friends and was quite nervous due to the reviews I had read on TripAdvisor!. I have to say its really not that bad!, the room was basic but clean, the food choice was limited but perfectly fine, the pool area was very clean. Yes some of the staff were a bit miserable, but overall we never came across any of the horror stories that you may read on here!. Its fair to say that overall the hotel is basic (not 4*) and its core user base is Spanish and not British, but if you want a weekend away on the Costa's and don't want to spend much money then you cant really go wrong.

I think the hotel are making a real effort to clean up the image and this is reflected in my stay and the more recent reviews I have read!.

Hope this helps...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank stonestokie
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

5 middle age (30's ) girls went away to chill out and take time out from family life. Well in the hotel the guest all looked at us like we were aliens. We were the only English there. Some off the staff (especially ) the pool bar staff were so rude. No smiles from any staff except reception. Felt very un comftable in hotel. On the plus side though. The rooms v nice. Cleaned daily. Food ok if you like odd selections and wine was drinkable. Pool was clean and location good. 5 min from beach and a train stop away from night life to feungoralla . I would recommend this hotel to older couples looking for a break.

Room Tip: Ask to be front of hotel not low floors as the trains wake you up.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tania A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Have been to the area for the last 10 years. Thought we'd try a hotel instead of self-catering. Having visited the Hotel before we liked the feel of the place. The good points are the grounds and the staff (except one stroppy bar guy!) who loved engaging with the Spanish but lacked general people skills. Staff very friendly apart from the aforementioned. Rooms are very dated (although I think they are currently refurbishing the uppers floors). We stayed on 4th floor with an amazing sea view. The room on arrival was still dirty on the floor, needed cleaning again. Not a problem - found the domestic, she apologised and swept the floor. The food is ok, there is always a choice and you can swap the evening for the lunch if you want, which we did on a number of occasions as we like eating out. I would say the lunch menu is much better than the dinner choices. The Spanish mainly eat their main meal at lunchtime so if you have half board bear this in mind. The entertainment is limited, the sister hotel Fuengirola Park which is down the road a couple of 100 yards has much better entertainment and is generally much more vibrant (even though this hotel is a 3 star). The entertainer for the hotel is a lovely guy. If you are all inclusive (which would suit younger families) you are stuck in the hotel, I would advise half board and then get out and see the rest of the area. There is a small bar called the Tunnel Bar which is by the railway station (opposite the hotel), run by a grumpy loud Spaniard called Juan, who does not speak English, but it has a great Spanish atmosphere and is so cheap - good on a Sunday afternoon as he makes Paella and its very busy. View isn't great, but the vibe is. Also the Rovers Return (nearest English pub is lovely and run by Clive who is another character). There is so much to do in the area, take train up to Los Boliches or just walk along the coast for about 10 minutes, loads of brilliant tapas bars set up there - set a couple of roads away from the coast, you will be spoilt for choice and they are more reasonably priced. I would rate the hotel 3 star but was not disappointed and will go back. Also as the other people have mentioned always use the train to get from the airport to the hotel. Check times of the last train if you have a late flight as it does not run all night. Also if you are going to the beach find Paco Rhonda its a 10 minute walk along the coast, opposite an English bar called "The talk of the Town" - you pay 4 Euros for the day and this particular site has a toilet which is a bonus, plus Paco lets you borrow inflatables in the shed and any bat games he has. Make sure you go to the first part as there are two guys vying for your business - but you will know it as he has the toilets on the beach.

Room Tip: Because of the problems with the lift and waiting - get a room on the lower floors, although the roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Hayley F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

So i had booked a 7 day holiday with this hotel from 22 aug to 29 aug only half board as we never eat lunch.
As like everyone else, i done my research before i booked anything and i liked it so i went ahead with it. However, the last night before i was flying, the negative comments on here had really changed my mind and put me in stress that I just wanted to change my hotel. HOWEVER, please ignore the negative comments below. I got everything that i paid for and did not leave unsatisfied. The rooms had been cleaned every day around 12-1, always providing fresh towels and cleaning the whole room, the rooms were so spacesh (yes it was spanish designed but you're in spain). The food had been good, every night there was always something to eat. I found the location of this hotel perfect! the Torreblanca station had been 2 min walk. 20 mins away from the Malaga Airport and 30-40 mins away from Malaga by train as cabs are very expensive in Spain. 2 stops away from Fuengirola but there was a bus stop at the end of the hotel that took us there in 10 mins for only 2.10 euros and just walk on the beach back to the hotel (bare this in mind that it is a long walk but times flies very quickly as theres so much to see). No you cannot hear the trains going past AT ALL. its very quiet. but when you do its only for 5 seconds when the doors are shutting and its not even loud. And if you're bringing your kids and yourself and you need to check your phone, the hotel provides wifi in the reception area and near the pool. There are also 2 swimming pools that you can choose from which I found very good. The receptionists had been very helpful. If you also have a late flight back, you can pay just 30 euros extra to keep the room till 7 or you can leave your luggages in the hotel and then come back when you want to leave. I would advise to use the trains and the bus's as i paid 50 euros from the airport to the hotel with cab and 3 euros back with trains. So you can see how much you can save.
I also read below that the hotel controls the AC? that was just a joke, you control the AC in your room. Yes the lifts are slow but theres 2 and you're on holiday, you're not going to work to be running late. if you get the 8th floor like i did, you get an amazing view of the beach.
I would 100% without a doubt recommend this hotel to my friends and will make sure I will come back to the same hotel with my friends. So ignore the negative comments and go with an open mind, i went with stress thinking it would be terrible, but infact, it was perfect. You can imagine how good the hotel had been if families have came to the same hotel for over 4 yearss.

Room Tip: if you're you renting a car, there is a car park there. Also visit Aqua land in Torremolinos. 20...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank Heli94
Todmorden
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Travelled with family from UK expecting quality hotel with facilities and good food. Our first thoughts were disappointment and feeling the hotel was no way 4*, and very dated. Thank goodness we are only here for one week, only one day to go before we leave this place.

Bad points:-
Food horrible, Luke warm at best. Same food every day. Poor quality and bland. Desserts jelly, cake and ice cream. Fresh fruit always looked nice though. Couldn't hear yourself think in the restaurant, Spaniards seem to all talk in a loud overbearing way.

Hotel only serving Spanish clientele. Found this to be very annoying as we felt un welcome.

Pool bar lady very rude and made us feel guilty if we interrupted her flirting with the eye candy life guard!

Life guard - handsome but I didn't see him doing any patrolling. On our 2 nd day a huge coach load of Spanish families arrived and allowed their young children to run wild. One enjoyed antagonising my young son and nephews by calling them names and spitting at them. One of the others thought it was fun to throw sun loungers in the pool. My husband called them to stop this behaviour but should have been stopped by pool attendant or the said kids parents!

No inflatable floats allowed in pool.
No splashing!

Rooms ok but dated. Dust never swept off floor or balcony.

Entertainment - None for us. If you are Spanish the kiddies disco starts at 10.30pm!!

We had to use microwave to heat food to an edible temperature!

Good points:-

Pool fine when 'ferril' kids are away. Nice size and cleanish. Life guard tends to clean around 6pm sides of pool whilst still open.

Train within 100mtrs - excellent for getting away from horrible hotel.

Good sea views from balcony.

Quiet at night.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Jeannette S
Marketing D, Gerente at Hotel Monarque Torreblanca, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Many thanks for your comments,

All this information will be considered in order to improve our facilities and services, we regret that our hotel did not fill your expectancies.

Best regards

Federico López
Manager

Travellers are raving about these Fuengirola hotels

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here for 4 days on all inclusive basis. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by the friendly receptionist, check in took minutes nd we were shown the way to our room (yes there are only two lifts, and they are a little slow but what's the rush we on holiday!!) the patio door did not lock, within minutes of us reporting it the handyman was there to repair it. The rooms are very typical Spanish , but big and clean and were basic but had everything that you would need. The food was lovely and plenty of choice, something for everyone. I can't comment on the entertainment as we did not participate as we do like to go out and experience the local bars

Room Tip: Don't get transfers, we arrived late at night but still took the train to torreblanca, the hotel...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple